DJI Air 3 - Is It Worth Buying for the 70 mm Lens ?
2036 32 2023-9-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hitmax
First Officer
Flight distance : 2092244 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The DJI AIR 3 is it worth buying ? As the DJI Mavic 3 Pro has the awesome 70 mm lens and the DJI Mini 3 Pro has the other lens and can be used in more places than the DJI AIR 3 but do you need one?

2023-9-29
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting video Hieth.  I love the performance that I'm getting from the 70 mm lens on my Air 3 but I really like the portability of my Mini 3 Pro.   So I'm keeping both.  I don't see a need to upgrade the Mini 3 Pro to Mini 4 Pro at this time.  
2023-9-30
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-30 03:32
Very interesting video Hieth.  I love the performance that I'm getting from the 70 mm lens on my Air 3 but I really like the portability of my Mini 3 Pro.   So I'm keeping both.  I don't see a need to upgrade the Mini 3 Pro to Mini 4 Pro at this time.

That 70 mm is awesome I take it that it is the same on your Air 3 as it is on my Mavic 3 Pro? I have pressed the buy button on the Mini 4 it arrived today so I will be out testing it in the morning
2023-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 9-30 11:42
That 70 mm is awesome I take it that it is the same on your Air 3 as it is on my Mavic 3 ? I have pressed the buy button on the Mini 4 it arrived today so I will be out testing it in the morning

Congrats of getting the Mini 4 Pro.  A friend of mine has had his Mini 4 Pro about a week now and loves it.  I flew it twice and it is quite the little beast.  I said DJI should have named in the Mini Air 3 based on it's functionalities.  Since I have the Air 3 I'm thinking I'll just hang on to the Mini 3 Pro but will upgrade to the Mini 5 in probably another 11-12 months (based on DJI release cycles).
2023-10-1
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-1 02:41
Congrats of getting the Mini 4 Pro.  A friend of mine has had his Mini 4 Pro about a week now and loves it.  I flew it twice and it is quite the little beast.  I said DJI should have named in the Mini Air 3 based on it's functionalities.  Since I have the Air 3 I'm thinking I'll just hang on to the Mini 3 Pro but will upgrade to the Mini 5 in probably another 11-12 months (based on DJI release cycles).

You are pretty spot on there the Mini Air 3 would have been a good shout and you are probably right about the 5 too - but what else could they do to it  
2023-10-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 10-1 04:46
You are pretty spot on there the Mini Air 3 would have been a good shout and you are probably right about the 5 too - but what else could they do to it

Dual lens????
2023-10-1
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That would be awesome !
2023-10-1
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 9-30 11:42
That 70 mm is awesome I take it that it is the same on your Air 3 as it is on my Mavic 3 ? I have pressed the buy button on the Mini 4 it arrived today so I will be out testing it in the morning

Air 3's secondary camera is 70mm whereas the Mavic 3's secondary camera uses a 162mm telephoto lens. It's the Mavic 3 Pro that has both the 70mm and the 162mm telephoto. If I'm repeating something already said, my apologies.
2023-10-1
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 10-1 07:57
Air 3's secondary camera is 70mm whereas the Mavic 3's secondary camera uses a 162mm telephoto lens. It's the Mavic 3 Pro that has both the 70mm and the 162mm telephoto. If I'm repeating something already said, my apologies.

Yeah thats right I meant to say the same camera as my Mavic 3 Pro but didn't write Pro
2023-10-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 10-1 07:50
That would be awesome !

Indeed it would.  
2023-10-2
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
Flight distance : 302536 ft
  • >>>
United States

Congrats on taking the plunge on a Mini 4 Pro!! My last drone was a Mavic Air 2 and now that I have the Air 3, I have to say I'm loving the 3x camera. I would say 90% of the time, that's where I leave it. For me it wasn't just the dual camera that sold me on it. Don't get me wrong, I had a Mavic Mini as well, but at the time I wanted something that would be more manageable in a little stronger winds than the mini was so I went with the heavier MA2. It had great flight characteristics and with that experience, when the A3 came out with the omnidorectional obstable avoidance, along with it being heavier, I ordered it up. Now that the Mini 4 Pro is out and with all its features, I'm sure that is just an absolute Mini BEAST!!
2023-10-2
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 10-2 13:55
Congrats on taking the plunge on a Mini 4 Pro!! My last drone was a Mavic Air 2 and now that I have the Air 3, I have to say I'm loving the 3x camera. I would say 90% of the time, that's where I leave it. For me it wasn't just the dual camera that sold me on it. Don't get me wrong, I had a Mavic Mini as well, but at the time I wanted something that would be more manageable in a little stronger winds than the mini was so I went with the heavier MA2. It had great flight characteristics and with that experience, when the A3 came out with the omnidorectional obstable avoidance, along with it being heavier, I ordered it up. Now that the Mini 4 Pro is out and with all its features, I'm sure that is just an absolute Mini BEAST!!

I agree Jody as I use the 70mm most of the time on my Mavic 3 Pro but if I didnt have the Mavic 3 Pro I would have gone for the A3 when it came out but as I know have the Mini 3 Pro Mini 4 Pro Avata and Mavic 3 Pro I think my better half would kill me - so much so I am about to sell the Mini 3 Pro now as it will only collect dust - cheers Hieth
2023-10-3
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 10-3 11:36
I agree Jody as I use the 70mm most of the time on my Mavic 3 Pro but if I didnt have the Mavic 3 Pro I would have gone for the A3 when it came out but as I know have the Mini 3 Pro Mini 4 Pro Avata and Mavic 3 Pro I think my better half would kill me - so much so I am about to sell the Mini 3 Pro now as it will only collect dust - cheers Hieth

I know what you mean about the better half. If I didn't have a better half, I'd have no spare money and a stock pile of drones and action cameras!!
2023-10-3
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JodyB Posted at 10-3 11:41
I know what you mean about the better half. If I didn't have a better half, I'd have no spare money and a stock pile of drones and action cameras!!

Ditto
2023-10-3
Use props
chrisb123
lvl.2
Australia

JodyB Posted at 10-3 11:41

LOL, mine thinks my video and photo skills are great and tells me to spend more money on more stuff. As a former pilot I'll be getting my first drone, an air 3 shortly and getting a license for paid drone work
2023-10-8
Use props
JodyB
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

chrisb123 Posted at 10-8 20:02
LOL, mine thinks my video and photo skills are great and tells me to spend more money on more stuff. As a former pilot I'll be getting my first drone, an air 3 shortly and getting a license for paid drone work

Congratulations on your first drone!! I think you'll be very satisfied with the Air 3. I will mention, in my opinion, built for speed so right out of the box I felt like it was very touchy on the sticks. Easy to over shoot the target if you will. But I got used to it pretty quick and learned how to compensate the camera angles with the movement of the drone to get the shot I was looking for. Being your first drone and also a pilot, I'd say you'd pick up on it very quickly!! I'd love to see some footage that you'll get with your A3. Australia is one of the places I'd love to visit.
2023-10-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very true.
This 'effect' is only possible with a real 'tele' lens
2023-11-24
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LOL, mine thinks my video and photo skills are great and tells me to spend more money on more stuff. As a former pilot I'll be getting my first drone, an air 3 shortly and getting a license for paid drone work

Mine keeps telling me exactly the same
2023-11-24
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PS look forward to seeing your footage as well
2023-11-24
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hitmax Posted at 11-24 13:54
Mine keeps telling me exactly the same

Would love to go back to Australia loved it so much and didnt even have a drone back in 2004
2023-11-24
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 10-3 11:36
I agree Jody as I use the 70mm most of the time on my Mavic 3 Pro but if I didnt have the Mavic 3 Pro I would have gone for the A3 when it came out but as I know have the Mini 3 Pro Mini 4 Pro Avata and Mavic 3 Pro I think my better half would kill me - so much so I am about to sell the Mini 3 Pro now as it will only collect dust - cheers Hieth

Whereas I’ve got the Mavic 3 and the Air 3 so not much need in having the Mavic 3 pro.  Also have the Mini 3 Pro and the Mini 4 pro and considering selling the Mini 3 pro. Too much redundancy as it is. Oh, also have the Air 2S that hasn’t been getting too much flight time lately but love that Beast and don’t plan on selling that………….yet.
2023-11-27
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

1" sensor as what is on the new pocket 3
2023-11-28
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 11-27 19:01
Whereas I’ve got the Mavic 3 and the Air 3 so not much need in having the Mavic 3 pro.  Also have the Mini 3 Pro and the Mini 4 pro and considering selling the Mini 3 pro. Too much redundancy as it is. Oh, also have the Air 2S that hasn’t been getting too much flight time lately but love that Beast and don’t plan on selling that………….yet.

Totally agree all you need now is an Avata for a bit of fun
2023-11-30
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Freetime Posted at 11-28 08:10
1" sensor as what is on the new pocket 3

They should be able to do that I recon
2023-11-30
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 11-30 12:56
Totally agree all you need now is an Avata for a bit of fun

I don”t think so Hitmax. Same reason as me riding a Harley instead of a super fast Sport Bike. Would be afraid of running of the road. Lol
2023-12-1
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 12-1 14:47
I don”t think so Hitmax. Same reason as me riding a Harley instead of a super fast Sport Bike. Would be afraid of running of the road. Lol

i know what you mean I have gone from my Fireblade, down to a KTM and now dont even have a bike just 4X4s and only use the Avata in our field LOL
2023-12-2
Use props
Flormo2002
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hitmax Posted at 12-2 01:19
i know what you mean I have gone from my Fireblade, down to a KTM and now dont even have a bike just 4X4s and only use the Avata in our field LOL

I hear ya but I did get the chance to fly the Avata with the motion controller while in Florida last winter and it was truly amazing . I got the hang of it very quickly but just not my cup of tea. Prefer to just sit back in the saddle and enjoy a leisurely cruise while taking in the surroundings
2023-12-2
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

Hitmax Posted at 10-1 04:46
You are pretty spot on there the Mini Air 3 would have been a good shout and you are probably right about the 5 too - but what else could they do to it

Go to a 1" sensor,like what is on the new pocket 3.
I did see the new pocket 3 in action and held it , and was surprised
how small the 1" camera housing and gimbal are. So I see no reason why
that camera would not work on  the next Mini 5.
2023-12-2
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Flormo2002 Posted at 12-2 06:33
I hear ya but I did get the chance to fly the Avata with the motion controller while in Florida last winter and it was truly amazing . I got the hang of it very quickly but just not my cup of tea. Prefer to just sit back in the saddle and enjoy a leisurely cruise while taking in the surroundings

Defo the best way but not in the saddle of horse as they are nuts
2023-12-2
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Freetime Posted at 12-2 08:51
Go to a 1" sensor,like what is on the new pocket 3.
I did see the new pocket 3 in action and held it , and was surprised
how small the 1" camera housing and gimbal are. So I see no reason why

Agree the only issue would be the weight if they want to keep it below 249g as the Pocket 3 is 70 grams heavier than my old pocket 2
2023-12-2
Use props
winkiel82
First Officer
Flight distance : 4059806 ft
Poland

Great material
1-10 08:20
Use props
Hitmax
First Officer