Will the original SC be updated for RID?
778 4 2023-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeeG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169281 ft
United States

I installed the latest MA2 update promising RID compliance. What I am finding is that my original Smart Controller is NOT RID compliant.
This is confirmed in this video (see 6:35)
This effectively makes the original Smart Controller an $800 brick! (That's what I paid for it in 2020).

Will there be a forthcoming update for the SC to support RID?

I am hoping the original controller that came with the MA2 will work at least (and a big question for me is then CAN I FIND IT?)
If I can't find it, what is the newest controller that works with MA2 and also is RID compliant?
Does the DJI RC Pro Smart Controller support the MA2? If so is there a trade-up option?

2023-9-30
Use props
Marty Markoe
First Officer
Flight distance : 15135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As I understand it, RID, broadcast from the Drone and not the controller. There was supposedly be an update from DJI to initiate RID in the Mavic 2 Pro.
2023-10-1
Use props
LeeG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169281 ft
United States

Marty Markoe Posted at 10-1 04:37
As I understand it, RID, broadcast from the Drone and not the controller. There was supposedly be an update from DJI to initiate RID in the Mavic 2 Pro.

Found my original controller and have my MA2 RID. Next to test the MA2 will broadcast it when using the SC.
2023-10-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, LeeG. Thank you for reaching out. Marty is correct. The RID broadcasts from the drone and not the controller. If you use the Smart Controller with the Mavic Air 2, you will be able to take off if the version of the drone is V01.01.16.00 which supports United States RID requirements.

RC Pro is currently not compatible with the Mavic Air 2 but we will take it as a suggestion of yours and forward it to our relevant. In addition, there is no trade-up program currently. It is highly recommended you check it with other official and formal trade-in/second-hand websites. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.
2023-10-1
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

The broadcasting does 100% come from the drone. However, part of this information being broadcast from the drone is the real-time location of the RC. If using a third party module this RC location isn't required. Which to me makes zero sense why built in RID requires you to publicly announce your location but add-on modules do not. I get that this would be hard to implement, but why not just make that the rule for everyone? If the smart controller doesn't have GPS then this would be the reason why it isn't RID compliant when flying with it. The GPS in my RC Pro is wayy off and usually can't tell me where it is unless I have the drone turned on as well. It makes me wonder what location it is yelling out to everyone. My drone's RTK can position itself within a few centimeters. If I'm flying from inside a vehicle like normal, the RC could be off by half of a county.
2023-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules