Loss Communications
601 27 2023-10-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 268848 ft
United States

I've now had two flights on subsequent days at two separate location where my Mini 2 lost communication with the control station. First time was 5 mins into flight at a distance of 2490 feet, no obstacles. Second time was today, 9.5 minutes into flight at a distance of 2420 feet, no obstacles. First flight the UAS RTH after lost link timeout, even though I pressed RTH. I had no control over the aircraft. Second time aircraft RTH occurred when I pressed, as the aircraft was landing, I could take control, even though the software said, lost communication with no video. I also had trouble connecting the aircraft once during ground check for firmware updates.

Aircraft / Controller information

Aircraft / Controller information
2023-10-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, may I confirm if the drone is linking to the remote controller normally now? If not, you can try to pair them again according to the method below. You may also upgrade the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 and test in a different place to see if the issue still exists. https://www.dji.com/mini-2/downloads
2023-10-2
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

It seems to happen every two or three flights. I flew three flights after the last incident, with no issues. The only commonality that I can see is that both flights occurred with the same battery. But both times the battery had at least 50% charge still remaining at the time of the events. The only other common issue is in the two flights, I was recording video at the time. But I was not recording video during the ground check to see if the firmware was updated.

Fortunately, in both cases RTH work. But the issue is just asking for a fly away event. I’m starting to get nervous flying the drone.
2023-10-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-2 04:39
It seems to happen every two or three flights. I flew three flights after the last incident, with no issues. The only commonality that I can see is that both flights occurred with the same battery. But both times the battery had at least 50% charge still remaining at the time of the events. The only other common issue is in the two flights, I was recording video at the time. But I was not recording video during the ground check to see if the firmware was updated.

Fortunately, in both cases RTH work. But the issue is just asking for a fly away event. I’m starting to get nervous flying the drone.

Hi, we understand your concerns. May I ask if you've tried the suggestions above? Please try to test in a different place to see if the issue still exists.
2023-10-3
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

Yea, I have followed the instructions. Yes, it has happened in three separate locations hundreds of miles from the original location. It is not location associated.
2023-10-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-3 04:07
Yea, I have followed the instructions. Yes, it has happened in three separate locations hundreds of miles from the original location. It is not location associated.

Hi there. if the issue still persist, would you please provide us the video recording and try to check? Thanks.
2023-10-3
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 10-3 22:39
Hi there. if the issue still persist, would you please provide us the video recording and try to check? Thanks.

I am not understanding your response.  It has happened 3 more times.

A video recording of what? The camera keeps recording as is nothing has changed , but I have no control over it.  

Try to check what?  I'm not a mind reader, you need to tell me what to check and how to check it.  I thought that DJI had access to all telemetry from my flights.  Can't you look through the data?

Your responses seem to indicate that you are not technical support. If you are not Level 2 technical support, please escalate to L2 technical support.

Thanks.

Jim
2023-10-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-4 17:53
I am not understanding your response.  It has happened 3 more times.

A video recording of what? The camera keeps recording as is nothing has changed , but I have no control over it.  

Hi Jim, sorry for the inconvenience. Just to clarify, the screen recording video of the DJI Fly app will help us understand the whole flight such as the signal, environment, and the useful specs of the flight that might have missed out. Especially when you mentioned that the issue only happened with one of the batteries. It would be great if you could provide the screenshot of the two flights for us to check it further.

The flight record is not sufficient for analyzing the cause of the issue. If it is convenient, kindly help to export the flight log of the issued flight from the aircraft via DJI Assistant 2 upload it to Dropbox and provide us with the link, we will ask the engineers to analyze the data as well. Look forward to your reply.

To add additional information to the issue, kindly know that the position of the antennas makes a great effort, too. Check the position of the antennas for the remote controller. Distance should be greater than height during flight. Please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed toward the aircraft. Thank you.

2023-10-5
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-5 00:00
Hi Jim, sorry for the inconvenience. Just to clarify, the screen recording video of the DJI Fly app will help us understand the whole flight such as the signal, environment, and the useful specs of the flight that might have missed out. Especially when you mentioned that the issue only happened with one of the batteries. It would be great if you could provide the screenshot of the two flights for us to check it further.

The flight record is not sufficient for analyzing the cause of the issue. If it is convenient, kindly help to export the flight log of the issued flight from the aircraft via DJI Assistant 2 upload it to Dropbox and provide us with the link, we will ask the engineers to analyze the data as well. Look forward to your reply.

I’m sorry, but you are going to have to walk me through the process of capturing the screen video of these past flights. First, I never said it was in the same location only. Second after it now has happened in different locations, hundreds of miles away from each other, with different batteries., that is definitely not an issue. I do not even know how to capture the screen video for a flight that I am going to fly, let alone, poor flights that I have already flown. And since I don’t know on, which flight is going to have it on, how do I know which future flight to record?

You are also going to have to walk me through the DJI assistant app and download in the flight data. I am not quite sure I understand the need for this, because a Airdata.com accesses the DJI server to get its information. So if it’s accessing the DJI server, how is it that you need to have this information download it and send to you. You already have my data.
2023-10-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-5 18:27
I’m sorry, but you are going to have to walk me through the process of capturing the screen video of these past flights. First, I never said it was in the same location only. Second after it now has happened in different locations, hundreds of miles away from each other, with different batteries., that is definitely not an issue. I do not even know how to capture the screen video for a flight that I am going to fly, let alone, poor flights that I have already flown. And since I don’t know on, which flight is going to have it on, how do I know which future flight to record?

You are also going to have to walk me through the DJI assistant app and download in the flight data. I am not quite sure I understand the need for this, because a Airdata.com accesses the DJI server to get its information. So if it’s accessing the DJI server, how is it that you need to have this information download it and send to you. You already have my data.

Hi there, I am deeply sorry for my misunderstanding and any confusion caused. I should have added that if the issue can be reproduced, kindly fly the drone again and keep the screen recording of the flight. If you are using the RC-N1, you can use the screen recording feature of your mobile device. Kindly take a note of the time of the flight.

Please allow me to explain it again, the flight record is not sufficient for analyzing the issue. Therefore, the flight data on the aircraft would be requested for checking the details. The flight data was stored on the aircraft and will not be able to sync to our system, so it needs to be exported via DJI Assistant 2.
Method: kindly download the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) here: https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads ... sumer-drones-series and install it to the computer, connect the aircraft to the computer > Export, and export the flight log of the flight that you have kept the screenshot from the aircraft.

And provide the screenshot of the firmware information (method: connect the aircraft to controller and mobile device > camera view > … on the upper right > About).

You can upload the information to Dropbox or Google Drive and provide us with the link.

If the steps above are not convenient for you to complete, you can send the drone and controller back to us for further diagnosis, the local team will check if there is an issue and if repair/replacement is required. If you would prefer to send it in directly, please click https://www.dji.com/service/repair to start an online repair case.
Thank you very much.
2023-10-6
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-6 01:14
Hi there, I am deeply sorry for my misunderstanding and any confusion caused. I should have added that if the issue can be reproduced, kindly fly the drone again and keep the screen recording of the flight. If you are using the RC-N1, you can use the screen recording feature of your mobile device. Kindly take a note of the time of the flight.

Please allow me to explain it again, the flight record is not sufficient for analyzing the issue. Therefore, the flight data on the aircraft would be requested for checking the details. The flight data was stored on the aircraft and will not be able to sync to our system, so it needs to be exported via DJI Assistant 2.

I’ll give it a try, but not knowing when it’s going to happen, it going to be hit and miss. Plus, I not sure my phone will have the capacity to screen capture a 25 minute flight.

This afternoon, I could not get the DJI Fly app to recognize the RC, before I turn the drone power on. I swapped out cables, turn both the phone and the RC on and off. Finally, I deleted the DJI Fly app and reinstalled it. The RC then recognize the iPhone. Come to think of it, most of my problems started shortly after I upgraded my iOS to version 16.7. To me, everything gives the appearance of a software bug.
2023-10-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-6 16:05
I’ll give it a try, but not knowing when it’s going to happen, it going to be hit and miss. Plus, I not sure my phone will have the capacity to screen capture a 25 minute flight.

This afternoon, I could not get the DJI Fly app to recognize the RC, before I turn the drone power on. I swapped out cables, turn both the phone and the RC on and off. Finally, I deleted the DJI Fly app and reinstalled it. The RC then recognize the iPhone. Come to think of it, most of my problems started shortly after I upgraded my iOS to version 16.7. To me, everything gives the appearance of a software bug.

Hello, there. You don't have to capture till the battery runs out. You just need to screen-record the whole process from the beginning to the disconnection.

About the issue you mentioned, may we confirm whether you can use the app normally now?
Please tell us your feedback as well.
2023-10-6
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-6 20:20
Hello, there. You don't have to capture till the battery runs out. You just need to screen-record the whole process from the beginning to the disconnection.

About the issue you mentioned, may we confirm whether you can use the app normally now?

I do not think you were understanding. Yes, I only have to record until there is a disconnect. But I do not plan when these disconnects occur. I’ve had them happen immediately after takeoff. I’ve had them happen five minutes, 12 minutes and at the end of a 20 minute flight. It does not happen on every flight.

The only thing that I can see that could have been a common factor is either a software glitch with the new iOS, or the fact that on the flights in question , I had the software set up to charge the iPhone from the RC. I am still troubleshooting the phone charging issue further.

Since I deleted and reinstall the app prior to the last flight, I have not flown enough flights to determine whether that corrected the problem, or not. Again, it does not happen on every flight. It is an intermittent issue, but one that is getting me nervous about flying my drone, and that it is just begging for a fly away event.
2023-10-7
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-7 05:45
I do not think you were understanding. Yes, I only have to record until there is a disconnect. But I do not plan when these disconnects occur. I’ve had them happen immediately after takeoff. I’ve had them happen five minutes, 12 minutes and at the end of a 20 minute flight. It does not happen on every flight.

The only thing that I can see that could have been a common factor is either a software glitch with the new iOS, or the fact that on the flights in question , I had the software set up to charge the iPhone from the RC. I am still troubleshooting the phone charging issue further.

So far, I have given you enough troubleshooting information to narrow it down so that you should be able to send your own techs out, using your equipment and see if it happens with them. You would want to look for issues regarding phone charging on iPhones with that iOS.

Besides, you’re overdue for a software and firmware update, anyways. Remember, some of us use our Mini 2s for commercial purposes. You made the drone RID capable in Japan. There should be no excuse for not making it  RID compatible in the US.

Combined that issue, with this drop link issue, and I’m about ready to sell this drone and get a different make and model. It will not be a DJI drone, most likely, because I am fed up by DJI’s lack of clarity as to what they were going to do with the Mini 2. It was always a weasel-worded response to any questions. It would’ve been better if you had just come out in the beginning, saying that you were not going to do it. There’s still hasn’t been a definitive answer.
2023-10-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-7 05:56
So far, I have given you enough troubleshooting information to narrow it down so that you should be able to send your own techs out, using your equipment and see if it happens with them. You would want to look for issues regarding phone charging on iPhones with that iOS.

Besides, you’re overdue for a software and firmware update, anyways. Remember, some of us use our Mini 2s for commercial purposes. You made the drone RID capable in Japan. There should be no excuse for not making it  RID compatible in the US.

If the issue happens intermittently, we still can not determine whether it is the usage, software glitch, or the environment that causes the issue. Video or the LOGs would be helpful for us to check the reasons.
If it would be hard for you to capture the video and the issue has not reoccurred yet, you can continue using the device. Please observe when is the time when the issue happen, at which occasion will the issue occur, and what kind of operation you did at that time. Then, export the corresponding logs for us to analyze the issue.

About the FAA RID for DJI Mini2, you can refer to this announcement.  
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D815%26typeid%3D815
Kindly understand that the DJI Mini2 Japanese version is different from the global version.
2023-10-7
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-7 22:39
If the issue happens intermittently, we still can not determine whether it is the usage, software glitch, or the environment that causes the issue. Video or the LOGs would be helpful for us to check the reasons.
If it would be hard for you to capture the video and the issue has not reoccurred yet, you can continue using the device. Please observe when is the time when the issue happen, at which occasion will the issue occur, and what kind of operation you did at that time. Then, export the corresponding logs for us to analyze the issue.

I will do my best to record and capture information from any flights where this occurs.

Regarding RID, this is a perfect example of what I am talking about. This only states those aircraft which are in compliance. You do not state in any official announcement, anything definitive that says, “DJI has no plans to update the following aircraft.” And I have had multiple responses from different DJI representatives on forums. Some said that it was still being considered. Some said nothing but pointed to this information type of information. One representative told me it would be in the DJI Mini 2, September firmware update, which caused me to delay the purchase of a module until they were all out of stock. And there was no September firmware update.  DJI has given blatantly false information, or weasel-worded, wishy-washy, information regarding the Mini 2 and RID compliance. There is still nothing that says, “DJI’s has no plans to update the following UAS.” How hard is that?
2023-10-8
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-8 04:36
I will do my best to record and capture information from any flights where this occurs.

Regarding RID, this is a perfect example of what I am talking about. This only states those aircraft which are in compliance. You do not state in any official announcement, anything definitive that says, “DJI has no plans to update the following aircraft.” And I have had multiple responses from different DJI representatives on forums. Some said that it was still being considered. Some said nothing but pointed to this information type of information. One representative told me it would be in the DJI Mini 2, September firmware update, which caused me to delay the purchase of a module until they were all out of stock. And there was no September firmware update.  DJI has given blatantly false information, or weasel-worded, wishy-washy, information regarding the Mini 2 and RID compliance. There is still nothing that says, “DJI’s has no plans to update the following UAS.” How hard is that?

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. The announcement is for all the consumer series drones.
All DJI drones manufactured after September 16, 2022, such as Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, Inspire 3, and DJI Mini 3, all have built-in remote ID capabilities.
Multiple Models in the sheet will have firmware updates later to be compliant with FAA RID.
Other older drone models cannot receive firmware updates for remote ID due to hardware compatibility limitations, we encourage the owners of unsupported drone models to consider purchasing a separate broadcast module to ensure compliance with remote ID regulations.
Currently, we learned from our teams that DJI Mini2 does not have RID functions and we do not have plans to release the firmware for DJI Mini 2.  Your feedback about the different answers from our support will be forwarded to our related teams for confirmation. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-10-8
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-8 05:12
We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. The announcement is for all the consumer series drones.
All DJI drones manufactured after September 16, 2022, such as Mavic 3 Pro, Mavic 3 Classic, Inspire 3, and DJI Mini 3, all have built-in remote ID capabilities.
Multiple Models in the sheet will have firmware updates later to be compliant with FAA RID.

So, even though my Mini 2 was manufactured after the date (at least that was the date on the box), it will not receive an RID update. I’ll let the FAA know.
2023-10-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-8 17:59
So, even though my Mini 2 was manufactured after the date (at least that was the date on the box), it will not receive an RID update. I’ll let the FAA know.

Yes, it is not related to the manufacturer date for DJI Mini 2. Currently, there is no plan to add RID feature for the DJI Mini 2, and RID is not required when it is used for pure recreational flight. Thank you for your attention.
2023-10-8
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-8 19:42
Yes, it is not related to the manufacturer date for DJI Mini 2. Currently, there is no plan to add RID feature for the DJI Mini 2, and RID is not required when it is used for pure recreational flight. Thank you for your attention.

That argument doesn’t hold water when you make the Mini 3 and the Mini 4, which are in the same weight class, RID compliant. Some people (like me) use the Mini 2 for commercial purposes. So, to just say that it is because the Mini 2 is a drone made for recreational purposes only, is inconsistent with the Mini 3 and Mini 4 being made for the exact same purpose. To be consistent, if the drone is manufactured after the date DJI’s should make it already compliant.

The truth is, you didn’t want to spend the money, even though you had a large Mini 2 customer base, and you wanted to try to force as many people as possible to go buy the Mini 3/Mini 4. You did not care about your Mini 2 customers. You’re just fine with them having to go spend hundreds of dollars on modules. You’re just hiding behind the weight class rule as an excuse.
2023-10-9
Use props
fansd60e9990
lvl.1

United States

Hi,

I'm running into a similar issue as the OP. I am losing connection with my Mavic 3. There is a disconnect for a short period (2 seconds) when I switch between cameras, but then if I try to record I lose all connection. I turn the controller off and on and while RTH kicks in I'm able to re-establish a connection. I've done it three times today, the final time after making sure all my firmware and software is up to date. The last flight was only a 100 or so feet away and it disconnected when I tried to record.

One note is recently I purchased a second battery from DJI and I just recently switched to that (the backup battery) and that's when the problems seem to start. Could be a coincidence. I'll try again tomorrow using the battery my Mavi3 was shipped with. It's REALLY disconcerting to lose connection.
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Houdini NFO Posted at 10-9 04:23
That argument doesn’t hold water when you make the Mini 3 and the Mini 4, which are in the same weight class, RID compliant. Some people (like me) use the Mini 2 for commercial purposes. So, to just say that it is because the Mini 2 is a drone made for recreational purposes only, is inconsistent with the Mini 3 and Mini 4 being made for the exact same purpose. To be consistent, if the drone is manufactured after the date DJI’s should make it already compliant.

The truth is, you didn’t want to spend the money, even though you had a large Mini 2 customer base, and you wanted to try to force as many people as possible to go buy the Mini 3/Mini 4. You did not care about your Mini 2 customers. You’re just fine with them having to go spend hundreds of dollars on modules. You’re just hiding behind the weight class rule as an excuse.

We understand your feedback, we will take note of it and send it to our engineers. However, currently, DJI Mini 2 does not support the RID  feature, and there is no plan for the support. Hope for your kind understanding.
2023-10-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fansd60e9990 Posted at 10-9 16:46
Hi,

I'm running into a similar issue as the OP. I am losing connection with my Mavic 3. There is a disconnect for a short period (2 seconds) when I switch between cameras, but then if I try to record I lose all connection. I turn the controller off and on and while RTH kicks in I'm able to re-establish a connection. I've done it three times today, the final time after making sure all my firmware and software is up to date. The last flight was only a 100 or so feet away and it disconnected when I tried to record.

Hi there, we are sorry to hear about the issue. Could you please double-check if it is the screen went black or if the drone disconnected while switching the camera? Could you please tell us which controller you are using with the drone?
If it is convenient, kindly provide a screen recording of your case for us to confirm it further. Thank you very much.
2023-10-10
Use props
fansd60e9990
lvl.1

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-10 05:06
Hi there, we are sorry to hear about the issue. Could you please double-check if it is the screen went black or if the drone disconnected while switching the camera? Could you please tell us which controller you are using with the drone?
If it is convenient, kindly provide a screen recording of your case for us to confirm it further. Thank you very much.

The screen went from color to grayscale on the last frame of the video sent to the controller (which is the stock controller the Mavic 3 came with). There was a quick disconnect when switching cameras (wide to 7x) but then completely disconnected when I tried to record. It went into RTH mode pretty quickly after that. I cycled power on the controller and was able to restore connection once of the three times I tried that.

How do I 'provide a screen recording' to you?
2023-10-10
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 10-10 05:06

Understand.
2023-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fansd60e9990 Posted at 10-10 07:00
The screen went from color to grayscale on the last frame of the video sent to the controller (which is the stock controller the Mavic 3 came with). There was a quick disconnect when switching cameras (wide to 7x) but then completely disconnected when I tried to record. It went into RTH mode pretty quickly after that. I cycled power on the controller and was able to restore connection once of the three times I tried that.

How do I 'provide a screen recording' to you?

Hi fansd60e9990, you could upload to a sharedrive and share us the link. Please remember to set the permission as public so that we could access the link, thanks.
2023-10-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi Houdini NFO, if you have any further inquiry, please feel free to let us know. We will be here for help!
2023-10-10
Use props
Houdini NFO
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 10-10 20:08
Hi Houdini NFO, if you have any further inquiry, please feel free to let us know. We will be here for help!

Ok, I will do that.
2023-10-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules