715 18 2023-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
illidan2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4507595 ft
Italy

Hi,
I filmed in HLG and exported in HDR on Vimeo and Youtube a little clip. Here I see as the highlights going too high.....

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/870473807

2023-10-3
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

Can you explain in more detail what is wrong for you ?

For me it looks very good or was it not so bright ?

2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Space Dream Posted at 10-3 05:14
Can you explain in more detail what is wrong for you ?

For micht it looks very good or was it not so bright ?

it was not so bright, but the strange thing is that the initial image is not that highligheted and becomes shiny as the drone goes on backward.
I used fixed settings, so the exposure had not to change
2023-10-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

The clip on upload looks fine,
can you upload & share the HLG clips in dropbox or google drive so we can check whats going wrong with highlights?

What happen if you shoot with -0.7 ev?
2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-3 06:21
The clip on upload looks fine,
can you upload & share the HLG clips in dropbox or google drive so we can check whats going wrong with highlights?

here: https://mega.nz/file/LWJE3Lpb#oR ... NXpPEyVYRk2Yhg18_oo

I did not test with -0.7ev because I believed that highlights could be easily recovered in post production using HLG
2023-10-3
Use props
Space Dream
lvl.4
Germany

illidan2000 Posted at 10-3 07:42
here: https://mega.nz/file/LWJE3Lpb#oRKTrl553fWlm_oftYR6318qNXpPEyVYRk2Yhg18_oo

I did not test with -0.7ev because I believed that highlights could be easily recovered in post production using HLG

Looked at the download and find the sharpness and mood very nice but the sunlight in the lens are already massively visible and I do not find them particularly good. In front of the tower is even a light fog over the entire image by the sunlight. I can not help but I think that's all a little too much of sun effects. I think that this is not a flawless behavior, moreover, some have now already reported these disturbances, which apparently do not occur so massively with other DJI drones.

2023-10-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

illidan2000 Posted at 10-3 07:42
here: https://mega.nz/file/LWJE3Lpb#oRKTrl553fWlm_oftYR6318qNXpPEyVYRk2Yhg18_oo

Highlights on Dlog M can be recovered a bit but Not much with HLG,
Looking at the original footage you shared I find highlights to be quite normal well exposed. It seems you are using auto exposure but with a lock, when you locked the exposure ideally it should have included brightest highlight in the scene.

Try another test with similar high contrast scene auto exposure & set -0.7 or -1EV that should get you quite good exposure overall.

Youtube version shows brighter area of the original footage which means its youtube conversion doing that highlight problem, original footage shows not so bright highlights.
screenshot_834.jpg
2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-3 08:14
Highlights on Dlog M can be recovered a bit but Not much with HLG,
Looking at the original footage you shared I find highlights to be quite normal well exposed. It seems you are using auto exposure but with a lock, when you locked the exposure ideally it should have included brightest highlight in the scene.

hi, I see the highlight brighter also in Adobe Premiere Pro, when editing.
So that I decided to post it on youtube to show you this... On VLC I don't see the problem, but I am convinced that VLC isn't able to show HLG format in a good manner (I am still looking for a good player).

this is the SRT:
https://mega.nz/file/aGIwwD5Y#Hb ... t_uB1MXvgdlCLupAdIg

the shutter speed was locked at 1/1250, and ISO at 100

so you suggest to shot in DLogM for highlights recovery? I didn't want to, because I will lose the BT2020 color space... (DLogM is in REC709). So no HDR export...
2023-10-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

illidan2000 Posted at 10-3 08:27
hi, I see the highlight brighter also in Adobe Premiere Pro, when editing.
So that I decided to post it on youtube to show you this... On VLC I don't see the problem, but I am convinced that VLC isn't able to show HLG format in a good manner (I am still looking for a good player).

Oh when you see blown out highlights in editor that is because of 2 reasons.

1. You actually need an HDR monitor to view HDR content, Do you have HDR TV or monitor>
2. Your editor also need to tonemap HDR content so you need to set an HDR project in Adobe editor.  

Here are screenshots from final cut pro.

first one is deafult HLG HDR project view
second one is after tring to recover highlights & make it bit darker as per your description but you see I cannot recover blow out highlight on lower left white areas.
screenshot_835.jpg
screenshot_836.jpg
2023-10-3
Use props
Nyikhmur2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5781 ft
Hungary

I also think you have an abnormal amount of lens flare in that uploaded footage. That amount of lens flare makes the video unusable for projects. There is a thread about this, if all unit are affected this is a serious issue...
2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-3 08:40
Oh when you see blown out highlights in editor that is because of 2 reasons.

1. You actually need an HDR monitor to view HDR content, Do you have HDR TV or monitor>

I have a hdr monitor and i checked the tonemap on adobe premiere pro sequence....
my monitor is Samsung g8 Oled 34 (hdr activation on windows)
I see the same as in Youtube
2023-10-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

illidan2000 Posted at 10-3 09:15
I have a hdr monitor and i checked the tonemap on adobe premiere pro sequence....
my monitor is Samsung g8 Oled 34 (hdr activation on windows)
I see the same as in Youtube

Since you say its showing brighter in adobe premiere pro, have you created a rec 709 project or an HDR rec 2020 project?

Can you post your adobe premiere pro screenshots so we know what exactly is the problem.
2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-3 09:19
Since you say its showing brighter in adobe premiere pro, have you created a rec 709 project or an HDR rec 2020 project?

Can you post your adobe premiere pro screenshots so we know what exactly is the problem.

2023-10-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

These project setting looks all correct
Also post the screenshot of your preview window that will show us what you are actually seeing as bright highlight.
2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-3 09:24
These project setting looks all correct
Also post the screenshot of your preview window that will show us what you are actually seeing as bright highlight.

unfortunately on windows, the Screenshots are not working at all in HDR mode
2023-10-3
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

illidan2000 Posted at 10-3 09:30
unfortunately on windows, the Screenshots are not working at all in HDR mode

You can shoot with your phone to show the screen
2023-10-3
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-3 22:14
You can shoot with your phone to show the screen

sorry for the delay....

https://mega.nz/file/jO4ExLYa#DO ... w9wiBzVn3pgmnVd_LhE
2023-10-4
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

This shows quite ok as it should be, your highlights are slightly over exposed in certain area only rest are fine.
Check you monitor HDR settings as I see over saturated colors.
screenshot_842.jpg
2023-10-4
Use props
illidan2000
lvl.2
Italy

Ranjan Posted at 10-4 23:31
This shows quite ok as it should be, your highlights are slightly over exposed in certain area only rest are fine.
Check you monitor HDR settings as I see over saturated colors.

ok, I will try to calibrate manually, because my SpiderX does not work in HDR mode
2023-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules