Camera compression rate differences
832 8 2023-10-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DLCSurveyor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 129354 ft
United States

I have a Mavic 3 E and my friend has a Mavic 3 Multispectral. According to DJI the cameras have the same hardware for the 20 MP camera. We did a job together and I was noticing that my images were almost double the size of his. We were using the automatic settings and flying the same terrain, same height, etc. Any reason my images are larger than his. In a full day of flying, with similar image count, he collected 52gb of data while I collected 90gb
2023-10-3
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13538875 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sort of like how the M3E and M3T have identical tele cameras but the video bit rate on the M3T is half that of the M3E. You can use EXIFtool to see what the JPG compression level is on an image. I know the M3E is using a 90% JPG compression level. The M3M might have to compress the 20mp images more since the bottleneck is going to be the write speeds on your micro SD card who's bandwidth is shared between all 5 cameras.
2023-10-3
Use props
DLCSurveyor
lvl.2
United States

Good thought. Images from both cameras look the same. Compression rate is blank on both as well. The above image is from the M3E. In EXIF Tool it shows compression as JPEG on both.
2023-10-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1638323 ft
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 10-3 22:49
Sort of like how the M3E and M3T have identical tele cameras but the video bit rate on the M3T is half that of the M3E. You can use EXIFtool to see what the JPG compression level is on an image. I know the M3E is using a 90% JPG compression level. The M3M might have to compress the 20mp images more since the bottleneck is going to be the write speeds on your micro SD card who's bandwidth is shared between all 5 cameras.

If that’s the case, then my M3T must use a compression level of about 190% because the images look like a dirty diaper. The M3T is pretty much only useful for live view. Anything captured is basically VHS quality (photo and video). The first Mavic pro took better pictures with its 1/2.3” sensor. I’ve compared them.
2023-10-4
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DLCSurveyor Posted at 10-4 04:37
[view_image]

Good thought. Images from both cameras look the same. Compression rate is blank on both as well. The above image is from the M3E. In EXIF Tool it shows compression as JPEG on both.

Depending how/if your images are PPK'd some of the metadata gets dumped in the process. If you look at an image straight off the drone it has more EXIF data stored. Using EXIFtool's command line utility gives more info too.
Screenshot 2023-10-05 014850.png
2023-10-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DLCSurveyor. Thank you for reaching out. Let me forward your concern to our relevant team for confirmation. We'll let you know once we receive an update. Thank you.
2023-10-7
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DLCSurveyor. Thank you for patiently waiting. We now received feedback from our relevant team. Feedback is as follows: The M3E and M3M have the same wide-angle camera hardware, but the M3M visible camera imaging algorithms are different to ensure the image quality of the multispectral camera, so there will be a difference in the size of the two photos.
2023-10-9
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

In other words, the main camera .jpg image is receiving more compression than the M3E is. The 4 additional images being captured at the same time are all 4 .tif files which are huge in size. All 5 images combined add up to around 50 MB. This is a lot of data going onto a micro SD card for every image captured. I don't know what the fastest interval is for the M3M but I'm guessing it isn't the same 0.7 seconds at the M3E.
2023-10-9
Use props
DLCSurveyor
lvl.2
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 10-9 07:40
In other words, the main camera .jpg image is receiving more compression than the M3E is. The 4 additional images being captured at the same time are all 4 .tif files which are huge in size. All 5 images combined add up to around 50 MB. This is a lot of data going onto a micro SD card for every image captured. I don't know what the fastest interval is for the M3M but I'm guessing it isn't the same 0.7 seconds at the M3E.

Thank you for the replies. I understand it now!
2023-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules