Slgnal lost and waypoint flight cancelled
830 14 2023-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HarperDada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11093 ft
United States

Today while doing a waypoint flight of around 2 km distance, I was informed by the DJI RC N2 that signal is lost and RTH is initiated. It was kind of suprising considering 20 Km signal distance is advertised. Have you guys noticed it?

Best,
Harper

2023-10-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am surprised that it didnt continue the campaign, thats somewhat disappointing cause the Air 3 and Mavic 3 continue by all accounts.

As for the 2km, your RE antennas still need to be pointing at the drone, you may have let that lapse while watching the screen.
2023-10-7
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

@HarperDada
From page 41 of the manual
"On Signal Lost.   The behavior of the aircraft when the remote controller signal is lost during flight. It can be set to RTH, Hover, Land or Continue."
What setting did you have set?
Bashy, I realise the OP is in the USA so the following will not be applicable to them but in the EU, with the Mini 4 Pro and Air 3, the above "continue" is apparently NOT available , "When using Waypoint Flight in the EU, the behavior of the aircraft when the remote controller signal is lost cannot be set to Continue." another bruxxels 'gem' lol.
Not sure about the Mavic 3.

2023-10-7
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. You can check whether there are any obstructions in the flight or whether you gain the Optimal Transmission Zone, which you can check P.81:  
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _User_Manual_EN.pdf
2023-10-7
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 271266 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe if you had stayed within VLOS you would not have had a problem?
2023-10-7
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12477300 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Harper,

Many reasons to loose connection at 2km, without a flightlog not possible to know why it lost connection.

Share you log if you like, use > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-10-7
Use props
HarperDada
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-7 20:37
@HarperDada
From page 41 of the manual
"On Signal Lost.   The behavior of the aircraft when the remote controller signal is lost during flight. It can be set to RTH, Hover, Land or Continue."

Hey guys, all important questions. My drone is mini 4 Pro. I don't think "continue" if signal lost is available, but let me check. Today I was flying on a waypoint flight of duration 7:19 Distance: 2652m and total 7 waypoint. And the aircraft again lost the signal at 50% of the flight. For the moment, I panicked, screen went gray, but then it reconnected and returned to home according to the setting.

2 Observations: When my signal is weak, RC N2 shows message saying: fly at higher altitude (was at 50 m), antenna orientation. But there are no external antennas on RC N2. Luckily it returned home. There are some trees between my home point and where the signal was lost. In general, the area is full of forests with lake in the middle.

Tomorrow I will try with even higher altitude, maybe 60 or 65 meters.
2023-10-8
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HarperDada Posted at 10-8 19:30
Hey guys, all important questions. My drone is mini 4 Pro. I don't think "continue" if signal lost is available, but let me check. Today I was flying on a waypoint flight of duration 7:19 Distance: 2652m and total 7 waypoint. And the aircraft again lost the signal at 50% of the flight. For the moment, I panicked, screen went gray, but then it reconnected and returned to home according to the setting.

2 Observations: When my signal is weak, RC N2 shows message saying: fly at higher altitude (was at 50 m), antenna orientation. But there are no external antennas on RC N2. Luckily it returned home. There are some trees between my home point and where the signal was lost. In general, the area is full of forests with lake in the middle.

"My drone is mini 4 Pro. I don't think "continue" if signal lost is available"

mini 4 pro manual waypoint continue.png
2023-10-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12477300 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HarperDada Posted at 10-8 19:30

Hi,

RC N2 has internal antennas, so what DJI means is that the RC needs to point towards the drone.Try this: fly some distance out, 1 km. Move slowly the RC left or right away fro the drone, check the signal strength on screen FlyApp.
Trees between RC and Drone are absorbing the signal alot!  Good solid connection needs a free line of sight for the radio signal.

cheers
JJB

2023-10-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-9 04:59
The Mini 4 will continue the Waypoint mission on signal loss, *IF* you set the signal loss parameter to CONTINUE.  As to the OP's loss of signal at 2 km, that all depends on the flight environment, obstructions, etc..  He could lose signal at only a few hundred meters if there are buildings, dense foliage, or terrain blocking line of sight between the RC & drone.

Ah thats good then, so the OP just had the wrong setting, i haven't gone through the manual as yet
2023-10-9
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 10-9 05:45
Ah thats good then, so the OP just had the wrong setting, i haven't gone through the manual as yet

Did you see post #9? It might be wise to check if we 'are in the EU' as far as that is concerned.
2023-10-9
Use props
HarperDada
lvl.2
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-9 06:43
Did you see post #9? It might be wise to check if we 'are in the EU' as far as that is concerned.

Today I was able to complete the same waypoint flight from a different Home point and at 64 meters height. Of course, the drone had to first go to waypoint 1, which was almost 1.5 km away from the new home point. Also checked that there is a "continue" option for signal lost. <copyright>Swiping further helps sometimes </copyright>
2023-10-9
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-9 06:43

For the love of all things holy, this is just getting ridiculous now but then the UK isn't in the EU, so there is that...
2023-10-9
Use props
djiuser_KSl40neUbiUZ
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-8 23:28
"My drone is mini 4 Pro. I don't think "continue" if signal lost is available"[Image]

Does this inability to select continue also affect mini 4 pro owners in the UK too?
2023-11-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_KSl40neUbiUZ Posted at 11-17 04:00
Does this inability to select continue also affect mini 4 pro owners in the UK too?

I don't know, sorry.
2023-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules