2725 11 2023-10-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Balzer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1070256 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I've posted this on reddit to, but wanted to get your opinion on the DJI Forum as well:

To  start off the TL: DR After testing the Mini4pro vs the Mini3Pro I  suspect, that Dlog-M is the excat same as D-Cinelike and I feel, that  Dji has mislead their customers to believe otherwise.

I was wondering, if I'm the only one who is more then underwelmed with Dlog-M and the Video Quality from the Mini 4 Pro in general. Don't get me wrong, the videos look fine. But compared to the Mini3Pro I don't see any real differences. Yes, the Mini3Pros whitebalance is a little more  blueish, while the 4 seems to prefere a warmer tone, but appart from  that - sharpness, detail, resolution, dynamic range all seem pretty much  the same. Even more disappointing to me is the fact, that I'm very  sure, that Dlog-M is just a new name for D-Cinelike. I know, that dji  claims, that dlog-m is a actual log profile just with a little more  contrast and color than dlog. But when comparing it with d-cinelike it  looks the exact same. Even DJIs Dlog-M to Rec709 Lut for the Mini4Pro  works just fine with the D-Cinelike from the Mini3Pro. Contrast, Colors etc all look very similar after applying the lut. That should not be the  case, if dlog-m was an actaul log profile. B

ut why talk about this, when I can just show you. Here are comparisions between the Mini3Pro in D-Cinelike (always on the left) and the Mini4Pro in Dlog-M(always on the right). These are not graded and at 100% -2 Sharpness and Noise  Reduction on Auto WB. The Mini4Pro even seems to be a little bit less  sharper in some shots, but i think thats due to the Autofocus - which is  stillnot continuous AF but Its Single focus AF, so totally useless for Video!!!

Notice a tiny bit more detail in the Shadows of the Mini4 Pro

Notive, that highlight retention seems the exact same

And now here is a comparison using DJIs own Dlog-M to Rec709 lut for the  Mini4Pro, applied to both the mini3pros d-cinelike and the mini4pros  Dlog-M:

Whitebalance on the 4Pro was very heavily leaning towards magenta and way to warm, i  corrected that here, which might explain the stronger greens.

Same as the ungraded version, I fail to see any difference. If at all, I  think the Mini3Pros footage even looks a little flater after applying  the lut.
To be clear, I don't want to badtalk the Mini4Pro, BUT i'm super angry at djis  marketing. Adn its not just their drones, I also noticed the exact same  on the Action4s dlog-m vs Action2 d-cinelike - its the same.  They  clearly positioned Dlog-M as a more professional color profile, a true  "light" log profile. That is clearly false and misleading to the  consumer. They said in the past, that d-cinelike is basically a flater  rec709 profile, but still only rec709, while Dlog-M is supposedly a  broader gammut and offers a wider color space. My tests suggest  otherwise. Either they undersold d-cinelike, or they are overselling  dlog-m.

So, dear DJI: Please give  us proper dlog on the Mini4pro! Please. I want to keep the drone, I love  the features, but to enable a truely professional workflow, an actual  log profile would be freaking amazing!

EDIT: Sorry for he screwed up Pictures, but I couldn't upload directly to the form due to sizing restrictions.
2023-10-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Balzer. Thank you for your feedback. Here are the differences between D-Log and D-Cinelike. 1. D-Log is a greyscale mode created for post-production. D-Log mode can provide a higher dynamic range, more scene details, and lowest contrast and sharpness, which offers more color editing freedom. Log mode is also the standard for film and television industry processes.
2. D-Cinelike makes the image look like a cinema with a Lookup Table (LUT) that contains a mathematical formula for modifying an image. If users do not want to adjust the color themselves. The d-Cinelike mode would be a good choice.

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to provide sample images as well. Rest assured that we will forward them to our relevant team.
2023-10-8
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

DJI Gamora Posted at 10-8 22:19
Hi, Balzer. Thank you for your feedback. Here are the differences between D-Log and D-Cinelike. 1. D-Log is a greyscale mode created for post-production. D-Log mode can provide a higher dynamic range, more scene details, and lowest contrast and sharpness, which offers more color editing freedom. Log mode is also the standard for film and television industry processes.
2. D-Cinelike makes the image look like a cinema with a Lookup Table (LUT) that contains a mathematical formula for modifying an image. If users do not want to adjust the color themselves. The d-Cinelike mode would be a good choice.

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the difference between dlog and d-cinelike,but in my post im talking about dlog-m, not dlog, and the fact, that dlog-m looks the same as d-cinelike. My issue is, that DJI markets dlog-m as being noticibly superior to d-cinelike, when in reality it simply is not. It's basically the same. Which is why I would love to see actual dlog in the mini4 pro - not just dlog-m.
2023-10-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You wont see a massive difference to the Mini 3 Pro as they both have the same sensor in the camera.  
2023-10-9
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 10-9 01:05
You wont see a massive difference to the Mini 3 Pro as they both have the same sensor in the camera.

I realize that, but there is a difference between what a camera sensor and lens are able to produce (meaning rendering resolution, sharpness etc) and what kind of picture profiles are available or what kind of features are at offer. Dlog or dlog-m do not necessarily have anything to do with the camera sensor, but should rely the processing unit used. And dji told us in their marketing material, that the processing unit in the Mini4 Pro is new and offers more dynamic range and improved color grading capabilities when compared to the Mini3Pro. Here I feel like dji over-promised and under-delivered on big time. I see no tangible improvements in terms of dynamic range and color grading capabilities. Both drones offer 10bit, Dlog-M is very similar to d-cinelike and both do not offer an actual log profile for professional color grading. I realize, that bigger drones like the mavic pro have those capabilities and I realize that dji never promised image quality on par with the big boys. BUT they do actually sell the Mini4Pro with dlog-M as "unlocking pro-level post-production control and expert-level creative editing flexibility" - to me, all the marketing and all the reviews led me to believe, that the mini4Pro offers more in term of Editing flexibility and image quality than the mini3pro - which it simply does not.

Sooo thats why I'm asking dji to give us an actual log profile, that I can incorporate in a professional workflow and use in tandem with other log profiles (slog,dlog etc). Dlog-M simply doesn't cut it for me.
2023-10-9
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
  • >>>
Germany

please delete - post got doubled for some reason
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Balzer Posted at 10-8 22:45
Thanks for the reply. I was aware of the difference between dlog and d-cinelike,but in my post im talking about dlog-m, not dlog, and the fact, that dlog-m looks the same as d-cinelike. My issue is, that DJI markets dlog-m as being noticibly superior to d-cinelike, when in reality it simply is not. It's basically the same. Which is why I would love to see actual dlog in the mini4 pro - not just dlog-m.

Thank you for the clarification, Balzer. I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.
2023-10-19
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
  • >>>
Singapore

Thanks for that update - and thanks, for taking the time to look at and evaluate the feedback
2023-10-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Balzer Posted at 10-20 23:09
Thanks for that update - and thanks, for taking the time to look at and evaluate the feedback

You are always welcome, Balzer. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-10-23
Use props
BenHopperVisuals
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013205 ft
Canada

Wow, that's super lame. Didn't realize D-LOGM and D-CINELIKE were the same. Thank you for sharing these results. I have a yaw drift issue with multiple M4P units as well, super disappointing.
2023-10-28
Use props
djiuser_eltmKWRlU0F2
lvl.1

Myanmar

DJI Gamora Posted at 2023-10-19 17:52
Thank you for the clarification, Balzer. I will take it as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. All significant suggestions will be implemented after the evaluation of our relevant team. For the latest updates please stay tuned to our DJI official website at ( www.dji.com ). Thank you.

Based on your reply to Balzer's clarification comment, I take it that confirms his assessment that dlog-m and d-cinelike are essentially the same thing, with no quantifiable/technical advantage to dlog-m?

If that is the case, can you tell me what your most affordable drone from the Avata, Air, or Mavic lines is that offers recording in a true log profile? Thank you very much
4-21 07:54
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

djiuser_eltmKWRlU0F2 Posted at 4-21 07:54
Based on your reply to Balzer's clarification comment, I take it that confirms his assessment that dlog-m and d-cinelike are essentially the same thing, with no quantifiable/technical advantage to dlog-m?

If that is the case, can you tell me what your most affordable drone from the Avata, Air, or Mavic lines is that offers recording in a true log profile? Thank you very much

Hi, djiuser_eltmKWRlU0F2. Are you referring to D-Log mode? If that's the case, the Mavic 3 series supports D-Log and D-logM. While the DJI Air 3 and Avata 2 support D-LogM. Please refer to our store (https://store.dji.com/ca) for price reference. Thank you.
4-23 05:19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules