Mini 4 Pro Waypoints POI enhancement suggestion
1842 9 2023-10-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_GVQgsyEor0K7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 497913 ft
United Kingdom

I've been experimenting with Waypoints on the Mini 4 Pro and I'm very impressed!  My tests were taken outside my home where there are lots of obstacles to avoid and Waypoints made the flight much smoother and safer than I could achieve manually.

However, I should like to make a suggestion to the administrators for enhancing this functionality in a future release and this is to give us the option to draw a selection box around a POI and for the software to automatically calculate the POI's GPS coordinates.  This would behave in the same way as the normal Spotlight and POI modes.  As it stands, adding a Waypoint POI requires us to fly over the POI and manually set its altitude relative to the take-off point, which is tedious and error-prone, although the only option when adding a Waypoint POI on the map.

Incidentally, I compared my Waypoint flights with manual, Spotlight and POI flights and Waypoints worked better for me because I could set the route and watch the drone navigate around tricky obstacles with my finger over the Stop button in case of any likely collisions.  The Spotlight and POI flights were equally as smooth as the Waypoints flights but I couldn't watch the drone as closely because I was looking at the RC2 screen.  So, I'd recommend users try using Waypoints if they have the time to plan ahead and want to keep eyes on the drone thoughout the flight.  
2023-10-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention.  After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-10-9
Use props
djiuser_GVQgsyEor0K7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 497913 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-9 21:41
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention.  After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Thank you for considering this request and thanks to the team for a great product - Mini 4 Pro.
2023-10-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_GVQgsyEor0K7 Posted at 10-10 00:11
Thank you for considering this request and thanks to the team for a great product - Mini 4 Pro.

You are very much welcome. Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Have a nice day!
2023-10-12
Use props
djiuser_8DWoiQ5uthy0
lvl.2

Argentina

Hi, what is "set its altitude relative to the take-off point" ??
Let's say I took off at 20 meters from sea level, and the POI is a tower 15 meters tall. The relative altitude I should set is 35 meters ?
2023-12-20
Use props
djiuser_8DWoiQ5uthy0
lvl.2

Argentina

Thank you mate
2023-12-21
Use props
NLAuser
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2023-12-20 16:32
TIP:  If you are capturing Waypoints live you can perform POI pans without the need to actually set one.  Say you want to focus on an object as the drone flies past.   As you approach the target, use the cross hairs to frame it as you want, then record the Waypoint.    Record several more points as the drone flies by, each time framing the target to your liking.  When you fly the actual mission, the drone will smoothly  rotate towards the points you captured as though you are tracking a POI.

In the video below, all of the building spirals were captured in this manner.  There are no POI markers.  I did exactly what I stated above, capturing waypoints at the corners of the buildings.  This was a mission concept test flight so it isn't 100% perfect, but it eliminates the need to record POIs.  I find dropping POI markers more useful when planning a mission on the map where you can't physically frame up the subject.  When recording the Waypoints live it is much easier to just frame the target.

Thank you so much.  Your suggestion makes excellent sense.  I was having difficulty using waypoint POI to fly past a tower on a hill that is at an altitude I know not, to create the parallax clip. It was a pain to have
to guess the altitude many times to get it right.  With your method using only the waypoint, the camera angle/pitch and direction are all recorded - no guesswork. I just have to set the drone's maximal angle of rotation to be quite fast as the drone flies closely past the tower.  Thanks again for this great pointer
3-3 10:44
Use props
coachboz68
lvl.1

United States

NLAuser Posted at 3-3 10:44
Thank you so much.  Your suggestion makes excellent sense.  I was having difficulty using waypoint POI to fly past a tower on a hill that is at an altitude I know not, to create the parallax clip. It was a pain to have
to guess the altitude many times to get it right.  With your method using only the waypoint, the camera angle/pitch and direction are all recorded - no guesswork. I just have to set the drone's maximal angle of rotation to be quite fast as the drone flies closely past the tower.  Thanks again for this great pointer

I've used the technique posted in the tip with success. Seems easier than guessing the angles and whatnot.

Here's another tip I learned after experimenting. In the tutorials I watched, it often said you can set the POI while in flight and it will keep "what's in the frame" as the POI. That's not exactly how it works. When I set a POI while in flight (by clicking C1) it will set the location of the drone -- not what's in the camera frame -- as the POI. I was confused by this at first and thought I was doing something wrong. HTH.
5-8 20:45
Use props
travelmate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 463340 ft
Bulgaria

Indeed, waypoints is a game changer, so many things can be done, without so much piloting experience... I would suggest to DJI to add Dolly zoom as quick shot or master shot, although it can be done easily with waypoints
5-9 01:58
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

travelmate Posted at 5-9 01:58
Indeed, waypoints is a game changer, so many things can be done, without so much piloting experience... I would suggest to DJI to add Dolly zoom as quick shot or master shot, although it can be done easily with waypoints

Thank you for your feedback. We really appreciate the time and effort you have invested in providing this suggestion to us. Your feedback will be cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Your understanding is highly appreciated.
5-9 23:43
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules