3499 35 2023-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What does everyone think of the specs and price leak on the new pocket 3?    USD 531 for the regular version and $676 for the combo seems like far too much for it.

https://sparrowsnews.com/2023/10/21/dji-osmo-pocket-3-price-and-unboxing-video/
2023-10-21
Use props
Leebroath
lvl.4
Flight distance : 102923 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Everyone has been requesting a 1” Sensor, this is what happens.
But yes I do agree, it is very costly…maybe too costly!
2023-10-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

It's a  premium device with premium accessories, so while I agree that it's not cheap, I'm not surprised at the price.  From a marketing perspective, if they had called it the "DJI Osmo Pocket Pro" people would probably be saying, wow, that's cheap.  Personally my purchasing decision will be guided by two things.  First, the availability (at further cost...) of the extension rod.  For me, the Pocket 2 without an extension rod is like a DSLR without a lens.  Absolutely essential to make full use of the gimbal.  Second, I am moving house and I have to budget for the purchase of washing machine, tumble drier, refridgerator, and maybe dishwasher.  Without the last item, the cost of the appliances I have in mind would be $1,830 Australian.  The Pocket 3 with extension rod and accessory combo would probably cost $1,500 Australian.  That kind of puts the  camera cost in an interesting light...  Well, some weeks ago I bought a lottery ticket which will be drawn, by coincidence, on the same day as the Pocket 3 launch.  Maybe I will get lucky.  If I get very, very lucky I will be able to buy a Pocket 3 for all the regular contributors here too!  
2023-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-22 05:13
It's a  premium device with premium accessories, so while I agree that it's not cheap, I'm not surprised at the price.  From a marketing perspective, if they had called it the "DJI Osmo Pocket Pro" people would probably be saying, wow, that's cheap.  Personally my purchasing decision will be guided by two things.  First, the availability (at further cost...) of the extension rod.  For me, the Pocket 2 without an extension rod is like a DSLR without a lens.  Absolutely essential to make full use of the gimbal.  Second, I am moving house and I have to budget for the purchase of washing machine, tumble drier, refridgerator, and maybe dishwasher.  Without the last item, the cost of the appliances I have in mind would be $1,830 Australian.  The Pocket 3 with extension rod and accessory combo would probably cost $1,500 Australian.  That kind of puts the  camera cost in an interesting light...  Well, some weeks ago I bought a lottery ticket which will be drawn, by coincidence, on the same day as the Pocket 3 launch.  Maybe I will get lucky.  If I get very, very lucky I will be able to buy a Pocket 3 for all the regular contributors here too!

It's a whopping price hike though over the current model.  
2023-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Leebroath Posted at 10-22 02:23
Everyone has been requesting a 1” Sensor, this is what happens.
But yes I do agree, it is very costly…maybe too costly!

Its getting on for Sony ZV-E10 money at at price.
2023-10-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-22 05:13
It's a  premium device with premium accessories, so while I agree that it's not cheap, I'm not surprised at the price.  From a marketing perspective, if they had called it the "DJI Osmo Pocket Pro" people would probably be saying, wow, that's cheap.  Personally my purchasing decision will be guided by two things.  First, the availability (at further cost...) of the extension rod.  For me, the Pocket 2 without an extension rod is like a DSLR without a lens.  Absolutely essential to make full use of the gimbal.  Second, I am moving house and I have to budget for the purchase of washing machine, tumble drier, refridgerator, and maybe dishwasher.  Without the last item, the cost of the appliances I have in mind would be $1,830 Australian.  The Pocket 3 with extension rod and accessory combo would probably cost $1,500 Australian.  That kind of puts the  camera cost in an interesting light...  Well, some weeks ago I bought a lottery ticket which will be drawn, by coincidence, on the same day as the Pocket 3 launch.  Maybe I will get lucky.  If I get very, very lucky I will be able to buy a Pocket 3 for all the regular contributors here too!

Best of luck in hitting the lottery.    I've had some good luck on scratch off tickets.  Pay out on one ticket was $3000 USD.
2023-10-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

That's a huge increase over the Pocket 2 price.  Guess the one inch sensor is driving up the price but still that price is off-putting.  Definitely will need to think hard and long before upgrading to the Pocket 3 at this price range.
2023-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-22 05:52
That's a huge increase over the Pocket 2 price.  Guess the one inch sensor is driving up the price but still that price is off-putting.  Definitely will need to think hard and long before upgrading to the Pocket 3 at this price range.

At that price Im thinking about something like a Sony ZV-E10
2023-10-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 10-22 05:54

That might prove to be the better buy.  
2023-10-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-22 07:20
That might prove to be the better buy.

That camera has some nice specs and a lot of positive reviews.  
2023-10-22
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1420705 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 10-22 05:54

Since when does the Sony have gimbal stabilization?  

I think the price is perfectly fine. Look at what an action camera like GoPro or Osmo Action 4 costs.
2023-10-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JustName Posted at 10-22 08:57
Since when does the Sony have gimbal stabilization?  

I think the price is perfectly fine. Look at what an action camera like GoPro or Osmo Action 4 costs.

Hero 11 is much much cheaper than this leak.    The Sony has catalyst stabilisation that works really really well to smooth out walking etc.  
2023-10-22
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37201 ft
  • >>>
United States

The 1" sensor is worth the price increase.  If you think the price is too high, just don't buy it, or buy the Pocket 2.  Problem solved.
2023-10-22
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the price is way too high.  It would be great if they introduced a 1” sensor camera in the $400 range and crushed the competition.  Very tough choice on this considering I have a pocket 2 and by the time the video is compressed and shared, that 1” sensor and price tag won’t be justifiable or noticeable.
2023-10-22
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DAFlys Posted at 10-22 10:05
Hero 11 is much much cheaper than this leak.    The Sony has catalyst stabilisation that works really really well to smooth out walking etc.

Hero Black 12 ( Hero 11 in a new housing) price in germany 449€ only the cam.  
I think the Pocket 3 price will be round about 550-600€.  So much more value for only 100-150€.

Any digital stabilisation is always crap in comparison to a mechanical stabilisation.  And mechanical stabilisation can always be combined with digital ;-)
2023-10-22
Use props
JustName
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

dronethemoment Posted at 10-22 12:29
I think the price is way too high.  It would be great if they introduced a 1” sensor camera in the $400 range and crushed the competition.  Very tough choice on this considering I have a pocket 2 and by the time the video is compressed and shared, that 1” sensor and price tag won’t be justifiable or noticeable.

There is no competition for DJI since Osmo Action 4 ;-)  GoPro is almost dead.

2023-10-22
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dronethemoment Posted at 10-22 12:29
I think the price is way too high.  It would be great if they introduced a 1” sensor camera in the $400 range and crushed the competition.  Very tough choice on this considering I have a pocket 2 and by the time the video is compressed and shared, that 1” sensor and price tag won’t be justifiable or noticeable.

Then obviously the Pocket 3 does not meet your needs.  Sounds like the P2 does everything you need it to do already, since the improved image quality and better low light performance do not matter to you.

Stick with the Pocket 2.
2023-10-22
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think its expensive comparing to pocket 2, but that was 3 years ago and the price of everything has gone NUTS, its approx €150 more expensive and you get better software a 1” sensor and double the size screen . Is that worth an extra €150 I think it is “just about”
2023-10-22
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Interpol Posted at 10-22 14:58
Then obviously the Pocket 3 does not meet your needs.  Sounds like the P2 does everything you need it to do already, since the improved image quality and better low light performance do not matter to you.

Stick with the Pocket 2.

The Osmo pocket 2 is a great camera with great image quality, I think you’ll find the image quality will be slightly better but you will also find that many using the pocket 2 will be able to match results from this new camera as they can with many other professional cameras. So price does matter and when you’re at the top of your game slight improvements may not be good value to you. The higher dji price the pocket 3 the more they will encourage other companies to compete so we may well see a flurry of similar cameras come to the market soon.

I will buy it but do believe its a bit pricey for what it is.
2023-10-22
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

ISO16000 sounds very interesting.
Better low light means to me an extending operable filming time of the day.
OP1 and 2 was valuable in this regard but also had its limitation.

If 1" + F2.0 + ISO16000 makes 7hrs of low light shooting period of the day more usable, it would justify the price increase for my use.
(Question is, how much ISO would be available in D-log)
2023-10-22
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17480 ft
  • >>>
United States

The USD prices of $531 for the regular version and $676 for the combo are kind of odd. Usually, prices end in a 9 or 0 here in the States. Perhaps it's a currency conversion from another country.
2023-10-22
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

ryguyMN Posted at 10-22 19:43
The USD prices of $531 for the regular version and $676 for the combo are kind of odd. Usually, prices end in a 9 or 0 here in the States. Perhaps it's a currency conversion from another country.
Original leak seems it was 499 euro for standard kit.
2023-10-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I think there's some misunderstanding about a gimbal camera and a electronically stabilised camera.  We're not just talking about evening out walking vibrations.  For instance, at the weekend I made a video of an Indian festival where there were large crowds all dancing merrily in a park.  Beside the crowd a little kid was on a chair in a world of her own, eating an ice cream.  I had the P2 on an the extension rod accessory, up high, looking down and across the dancing crowd.  Then I lowered it slowly to lhe height of the little kid, and took a few seconds beside her, looking cute (her, not me).  Then back up in the air to show all the dancers.  Tilt lock made that possible.  You couldn't do it with a GoPro type camera.  Different tools for different jobs.

Concerning image quality - I think in some situations the image produced by the new camera will look quite different from the Pocket 2 - depth of field is I believe affected by sensor size, for instance.  Focus range may be different.  You can't just say "20mm will be the same look."  It's more complicated than that.  Then there's the new "low light" faciility - that could be a game changer for some people (who shoot night scenes for instance).  Which camera is best requires the intended task(s) to be defined.  Overall the Pocket 3 seems to be aimed at a different audience from the Pocket 2 - it's for those who demand a larger sensor, swappable batteries, and so on.  For many users, they may not care about that stuff.  I'm not sure that I do, personally.  At the end of the day, content is the king - a deeply boring video shot with a great camera will get fewer YouTube views than a thrilling one shot with a "ok" camera.  I know I need to improve my content before I spend more on the gear.

2023-10-22
Use props
Hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tide Posted at 10-22 18:00
ISO16000 sounds very interesting.
Better low light means to me an extending operable filming time of the day.
OP1 and 2 was valuable in this regard but also had its limitation.

Not sure what ISO will be in d log but native is now dropped from 100 to 50 .
2023-10-23
Use props
dronethemoment
lvl.4
Flight distance : 9021293 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interpol Posted at 10-22 14:58

Stick with the Pocket 2.

Sounds like the snobs are coming out over that 1” sensor and the high price tag.  Bruh, don’t tell me what to “stick with”… if you don’t like other’s opinions then don’t make yourself look like a snob by talking down to others who want a sensibly priced option for the camera they’ve been waiting for now for 3 years…
2023-10-23
Use props
Interpol
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dronethemoment Posted at 10-23 06:47
Sounds like the snobs are coming out over that 1” sensor and the high price tag.  Bruh, don’t tell me what to “stick with”… if you don’t like other’s opinions then don’t make yourself look like a snob by talking down to others who want a sensibly priced option for the camera they’ve been waiting for now for 3 years…

When you post a complaint about a new product being too expensive and having features that don't meet your needs, I'm going to tell you exactly what you need to hear.  Accept it and move on.

Again - stick with the Pocket 2, because it sounds like that's all you need since you believe a 1" sensor doesn't do anything to improve the content you create.  Sorry you're having difficulty understanding that, "bruh", but that's on you and nobody else.

2023-10-23
Use props
Tide
First Officer
South Korea

Hallmark007 Posted at 10-23 05:12
Not sure what ISO will be in d log but native is now dropped from 100 to 50 .
Good point.
OP2 introduced 1 stop dimmer ISO100 compared to OP1.
Adding ISO50 might be the same idea as its getting brighter with a bigger size & low MP sensor.
2023-10-23
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I'm sure the new "Low light mode" will make good use of that slightly better ISO.
2023-10-24
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, DAFlys. Thank you for your interest in our products. Pocket 3 is out now, the Osmo Pocket 3 costs USD $519 while the Osmo Pocket 3 Creator Combo costs USD $669. Compared to DJI Pocket 2, Osmo Pocket 3 is a vlogging pocket camera with flagship-level image quality, significant image performance improvements, and a wider range of shooting functions:
Osmo Pocket 3 upgrades its camera sensor size from 1/1.7" to 1", ensuring zero image noise and providing clear, vivid images day and night, in every corner of the city. Its 2-inch rotatable screen enables effortless switching between vertical or horizontal shooting. In terms of functionality, Osmo Pocket 3 now features ActiveTrack 6.0 for more stable tracking. Just select your subject, whether you are filming a roadside food stand, restaurant, parent-child or pet interaction, or dance moments, the subject will be tracked steadily. Additionally, the upgraded Glamour Effects 2.0 fine-tunes the exposure for different skin tones to achieve a direct output of natural shots with delicate details. It effortlessly captures food, and scenery, anytime, anywhere.
2023-10-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yeah, quite costly, but I think it's worth the upgrade.
2023-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 11:55
Yeah, quite costly, but I think it's worth the upgrade.

Seems to have been quite popular,    may of the vloggers I watch on YT are upgrading,  and now eBay is flooded here with Pocket 2's.
2023-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 12-6 23:44
Seems to have been quite popular,    may of the vloggers I watch on YT are upgrading,  and now eBay is flooded here with Pocket 2's.

Yeah, I noticed  a lot of P2's here too on our marketplace.
I'll upgrade somewhere in 2025 I think. First save for the FMC and then for the P3
2023-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 23:51
Yeah, I noticed  a lot of P2's here too on our marketplace.
I'll upgrade somewhere in 2025 I think. First save for the FMC and then for the P3

You might even see a P4 by then.
2023-12-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 12-6 23:52
You might even see a P4 by then.

That would be even better (usually a discount on the previous model)
2023-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 12-6 23:56
That would be even better (usually a discount on the previous model)

You know me,  I prefer the latest and greatest model if Im going to upgrade.  
2023-12-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DAFlys Posted at 12-7 00:06
You know me,  I prefer the latest and greatest model if Im going to upgrade.

If funds were not limited, I would probably have that too.
But I don't mind getting a 'second newest' model. It's still a big improvement over my current one.
And one thing I did learn over the years is that the main factor is the one that is holding the camera. Not the camera.
2023-12-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules