Polarized charger cable vs non-polarized?
1143 2 2015-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
josh
New

United States

Looking to get some additional charging accessories for my Inspire to support the additional batteries I bought for long days of flying. B&H is fresh out of charging cables for the 100w charger (as well as out of the 180w chargers & associated charging cables). Trying to figure out which of the other options could work. On DJI's specs for the cable, all it says is "North American style 2-prong connector".
I noticed B&H had a couple alternatives but one is polarized and one isn't and I haven't the damndest about which I would need and don't want to mess anything up. Anyone have any info on this? I'm having a hard time determining from the picture on B&H but is the difference with polarized the 1 square prong? If so, strange that this would be under the accessories tab for this charger.

B&H *non-polarized* alternative (much cheaper than all alternatives, including DJI brand)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... _18_awg_2_slot.html

B&H polarized alternative
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/pr ... Power_Cord_IEC.html

Thanks for any help!
2015-9-5
Use props
btamkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 269291 ft
United States

Josh, non-polarized cords are just fine for things like irons and fans as heating elements and most AC motors do not care about the direction of current flow. However, sensitive electronics like power supplies typically have protection circuits built in for overloads and surges that uses the nuetral side of the circuit (since there is no ground) as the ground to accomplish this. Using a non-polarized plug will work. But if it is plugged in backwards it can inhibit this protection. That is why they developed the polarized plug, to insure that it is plugged in the correct way. Hope this helps... Safe flying to ya.
2015-9-5
Use props
josh
New

United States

btamkins Posted at 2015-9-5 08:58
Josh, non-polarized cords are just fine for things like irons and fans as heating elements and most  ...

Thanks for the info!! It would definitely be nicer to go with the cheaper cable (especially since it's in stock on B&H when I place the order for the additional chargers). I imagine Radio Shack would sell these too and may swing by there to look. Thanks again!
2015-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules