Color sensor?
1180 16 2023-10-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

There is a nice colour sensor in the "o" letter in front.

Anyone knows the answers for these questions:
1. Is this used to set the white balance when it's in auto mode?

2. When shooting in DlogM, is this sensor used, or in this case it's left to the author to color grade the footages by their prereference?

So the question is more about the relation between white balance and color profile.

Thank you!

2023-10-24
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

The sensor is used when you use AutoWB in camera, else it is not needed.
2023-10-24
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

So it is used even when I'm recording in DlogM?
2023-10-24
Use props
R4Dives
lvl.2
Maldives

Danergo Posted at 10-24 02:11
So it is used even when I'm recording in DlogM?

From my experience the answer is yes, unless you lock the WB to specific value
2023-10-24
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Thank you!
2023-10-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Danergo. With the help of the color temperature sensor, Action 4/Action 3 can obtain better color temperature performance in complex lighting scenarios. For example, when diving, it can correct the color temperature underwater, so the color temperature will not change when the camera angle changes. In addition, the sensor allows the camera to more accurately detect and reduce the stroboscopic effect in the shooting environment. Have a nice day.
2023-10-25
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJI Tony Posted at 10-25 02:57
Hi, Danergo. With the help of the color temperature sensor, Action 4/Action 3 can obtain better color temperature performance in complex lighting scenarios. For example, when diving, it can correct the color temperature underwater, so the color temperature will not change when the camera angle changes. In addition, the sensor allows the camera to more accurately detect and reduce the stroboscopic effect in the shooting environment. Have a nice day.

Hi Tony.

Thanks. I knew (assumed) these details. My question was whether using DlogM color profile disables the sensor's corrections or not.

Others stated it's not, but it would be great if you could confirm this too as I currently can't do diving to test in real life.

Thank you
2023-10-25
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Danergo Posted at 10-25 03:16
Hi Tony.

Thanks. I knew (assumed) these details. My question was whether using DlogM color profile disables the sensor's corrections or not.

Let me confirm that with the related team. I'll update you once they reply. Thank you for your patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-10-28
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Hi Tony.

I'm of the understanding that the White Balance keeps changing under differing scenes if left in AUTO in DLOG-M.     This becomes an issue when color grading and the colors keep shifting from one scene to the next.  It isn't bad if you are going to just use a LUT, and no further editing as it relates to white balancing on your PC.

How I use that sensor, is to first set it to AUTO in an unfamiliar setting, then switch to manual at that auto acquired value that I like.  This then results in consistent colors while editing.

I only use the AUTO feature at night whenever I'm moving from one light source to the next.
2023-10-28
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Hi, I'm rather confused now. What do you mean by "left in AUTO in DLOGM"?

I think the point of the color sensor is to change internal image processing parameters according to current lighting.

So it is actually a good thing that it changes the image.

My question's point is: is the sensor changing these parameters only in Auto color, or ALSO in DlogM?
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi Tony.

Hi, Danergo. Sorry about the late reply. I just confirmed with the related team.
1. D Log-M does not turn off the color temperature sensor;
2. It is designed to capture a wide dynamic range from the sensor, and colors are distributed evenly so the bright and dark parts of the video have greater fidelity and clarity. It is not a LUT, but a lower-contrast video with a flat color profile, which is great for expanding post-processing options.
Have a nice day.
2023-10-31
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJI Tony Posted at 10-31 02:41
Hi, Danergo. Sorry about the late reply. I just confirmed with the related team.
1. D Log-M does not turn off the color temperature sensor;
2. It is designed to capture a wide dynamic range from the sensor, and colors are distributed evenly so the bright and dark parts of the video have greater fidelity and clarity. It is not a LUT, but a lower-contrast video with a flat color profile, which is great for expanding post-processing options.

Thank you very much Tony for confirming this. I appreciate it. Action4 creates amazing quality footage I'm rather satisfied with it
2023-10-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Danergo Posted at 10-31 02:46
Thank you very much Tony for confirming this. I appreciate it. Action4 creates amazing quality footage I'm rather satisfied with it

You are most welcome. I'm glad we are able to reach your satisfaction. Please reach out if you have further concerns. Have a great day ahead.
2023-10-31
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Danergo Posted at 10-29 00:00
Hi, I'm rather confused now. What do you mean by "left in AUTO in DLOGM"?

I think the point of the color sensor is to change internal image processing parameters according to current lighting.

What I said, still remains.  DJI needs to be more transparent in what that sensor really does.   Yes, as the moderator said, the dynamic range is going to be somewhat improved.  As answered the sensor is also used in the AUTO feature in DLogM.

What I was explaining is that if you are serious about manually color correcting the DLOG footage under changing lighting scenes such as moving from neon lighting indoors to broad daylight outdoors, then you would not want to use the AUTO feature, and actually set a manual white balance.  Leaving it in Auto, results in wonky colors when trying to color correct the second scene if doing it from scratch.

If all you plan to do is apply DJI's published LUT (Look UP Table), then yes go ahead and leave it in Auto.

Based on your question, it seems you just want easy-to-edit footage, and don't care about color correcting or trying to match colors with another camera, I agree you should just leave it in Auto
2023-10-31
Use props
andywillett
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I have posted a question my self.
as follows.

Hi
I want to fit a supplimenty lens infront of my osmo 4 (whilst in its underwater housing,)  that would ll cover the auto white balance sensor.

I experimented by covering the sensor over, ie so its does not see any light.
The camera seems to function fine and auto white balance correctly, I can read the kelvin tempature fine even tho the sensor is covered.
So what is the function of the sensor?
Is the going to be a colour issue if it is covered over at some point during recording?

Any one on this thread have any thoughts.
2-24 13:25
Use props
ATW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

andywillett Posted at 2-24 13:25
I have posted a question my self.
as follows.

DJI have come back to me concerning exact function of the light sensor, apparently it is proprietary information, and confidential.
2-28 09:28
Use props
ATW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Anonymous1 Posted at 2023-10-28 16:44
I'm of the understanding that the White Balance keeps changing under differing scenes if left in AUTO in DLOG-M.     This becomes an issue when color grading and the colors keep shifting from one scene to the next.  It isn't bad if you are going to just use a LUT, and no further editing as it relates to white balancing on your PC.

How I use that sensor, is to first set it to AUTO in an unfamiliar setting, then switch to manual at that auto acquired value that I like.  This then results in consistent colors while editing.

Hi
The camera sets it AWB from the scene like all other cameras . The Osma action 4 has an additional sensor on the front, this helps the camera in AWB in some manner. If you cover the sensor, the camera still operates AWB.
DJI will not disclose exactly what the sensor does and how it may effect the AWB as this is proprietary information..
2-29 08:46
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules