Cannot transfer files to my smartphone using SD card reader
2606 25 2023-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Steph Jant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 152569 ft
United Kingdom

I cannot import to my iPhone photos or video from either my Mini 4 Pro or Action 4 cameras using a card reader specifically designed for a Micro SD card.  The message I get on my iPhone is “no photos or videos to import”.  I don’t think the problem is either the card reader or the SD cards.  I think there is a software glitch in both the Mini 4 Pro and Action 4 relating to how files are saved on the Micro SD card.  Let me explain.

Although my iPhone 15 Pro cannot read any files from either the Mini 4 Pro or Action 4, I am able to read all the files on the Micro SD cards when I connect the same card reader into my PC.  

I have also tried importing photos and videos to my iPhone from the Micro SD cards on both my Mini 3 Pro and Action 2 cameras using the same USB-C card reader and it works fine.  How weird is that?

I thought the problem might just be a compatibility issue with the new iPhone 15 Pro (although as I have already stated I can read files on my iPhone from the Micro SD cards that I use with my Mini 3 Pro and Action 2 cameras).  So, using an older SD card reader with a lightning cable I tried importing files from the Mini 4 and Action 4 onto my wife’s iPhone 11 and had the same problem.  The iPhone did not recognize any of the files on the SD cards.   

I have tried reformatting the Micro SD card(s) and taking news photos. I have tried using new SD cards.  I have also tried taking just JPEG and separately RAW photos with my Mini 4 Pro and Action 4.  None of these strategies fixed the problem.

Why is it that I can transfer files onto my iPhone using a card reader from both my Mini 3 Pro and Action 2 cameras, but I cannot do the same function with my Mini 4 Pro and Action 4? My conclusion is that there is a software glitch in BOTH the Mini 4 Pro and Action 4 cameras when files are saved onto the SD card that is stopping files from being read on an iPhone when using a card reader.  

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

I will send a message to DJI support and see what they say.

2023-10-27
Use props
djiuser_T35uHLUPv2B0
lvl.2

United States

same problem on DJI pocket 3
2023-10-27
Use props
Mavic57Minis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What happens if you connect the mini4pro direct to your phone, no need to switch the mini4pro ion, does the phone read the micro sd card and internal mem? Works perfectly on android tablet and smart phone.
2023-10-27
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mavic57Minis Posted at 10-27 13:45
What happens if you connect the mini4pro direct to your phone, no need to switch the mini4pro ion, does the phone read the micro sd card and internal mem? Works perfectly on android tablet and smart phone.
Yes and no. When I connect the Mini 4 Pro direct to my iPhone and open up the native iOS Photos app the files on my drone’s SD card are not shown. However…I have just tried using the iOS Files app and I can access the photos on the SD card. But it’s strange that I can import files to my smartphone  from my Action 2 and Mini 3 Pro using the Photos app, but for Action 4 and Mini 4 Pro files I’m going to have to use a different app to import.

As an aside, when I connected my Mini 4 Pro to my iPhone the drone gets a charge from the smartphone
2023-10-27
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-27 15:19
You can read the files with your PC, & I'll wager you could also easily access them with an Android device.   I believe the issue is not with the drone but with your iPhone.  I am not a fan of fruit devices, & I do not know much about them.  I only know that since way back everyone I knew with an iPhone or iPad had problems getting their photos & videos from their drones to their fruit devices.

I will try connecting an Android later today (my son has one). At the expense of repeating myself, the problem is not common to all the DJI products I own. Action 2 and Mini 3 Pro files can be imported using the native Photos app on the iPhone. I have, however, just discovered a workaround when trying to import files from the Action 4/Mini 4 Pro.  It means using a different app
2023-10-27
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

djiuser_T35uHLUPv2B0 Posted at 10-27 13:34
same problem on DJI pocket 3

Just discovered a workaround using iOS ‘Files’ app (instead of the native ‘Photos’ app). Suggest you try that with your P3
2023-10-27
Use props
Mullheliflier
First Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I found the same with mine. I think it is due to the fact that the images are stored in a second folder within the DCIM one. I used the file explorer to get them. It was easier when they just downloaded though.
2023-10-28
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mullheliflier Posted at 10-28 01:54
I found the same with mine. I think it is due to the fact that the images are stored in a second folder within the DCIM one. I used the file explorer to get them. It was easier when they just downloaded though.

Thanks for the insight. I agree it was easier just using the native ‘Photos’ app in iOS
2023-10-28
Use props
robcasebolt
lvl.1

United States

I have had the same problem. My only conclusion is it's a drone issue.
2023-10-29
Use props
robcasebolt
lvl.1

United States

I have a problem getting videos taken on my new DJI Mini Pro 4 to show on the micro sd card using a card reader. I've hooked it up to my iMac and it shows the card but no photos. I also hook it up to my iPad and the same thing when using the Photos app. I can only see the videos is if i use the files app. I use the same sd card and take videos on my DJI Air 2S. When I hook up to the iMac or iPad using the same card reader it shows the videos like it’s supposed to both in the Finder app and the Photos app. I prefer downloading using the native Photos app because it’s easier to view before copying and then delete. Why would it show videos taken from the Air 2S but not from the Mini Pro 4? It just baffles me. I at first thought I had a bad sd card but I've tried two different cards, one I already had in the Air 2S and the one I bought for the Mini Pro 4. The only conclusion I can come up with is I have a problem with the drone itself.
2023-10-29
Use props
robcasebolt
lvl.1

United States

Mavic57Minis Posted at 10-27 13:45
What happens if you connect the mini4pro direct to your phone, no need to switch the mini4pro ion, does the phone read the micro sd card and internal mem? Works perfectly on android tablet and smart phone.

I'm having the same problem. It did not read any photos or videos even when connecting directly  to iPad. If I put the same card into my Air 2S drone and take videos or photos the sd card will show those when transferring using a card reader. I do everything exactly the same using the Mini Pro 4 but no photos or videos show up on iPad or iMac. It must be an issue with the Mini Pro 4.
2023-10-29
Use props
robcasebolt
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem. Just called DJI support and they said they have not heard of anyone else having this issue. Have you called them? I"m waiting for them to look into it and get back to me.
2023-10-30
Use props
robcasebolt
lvl.1

United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 10-28 01:54
I found the same with mine. I think it is due to the fact that the images are stored in a second folder within the DCIM one. I used the file explorer to get them. It was easier when they just downloaded though.

I'm having the same issue. I just called DJI support and they said they have not heard of anyone else having this problem. In the meantime I'm having to use the "Finder" app on iMac or the "Files" app on iPad to find the photos I want to copy then delete. It is way easier to use the "Photos" app on iMac and iPad though. Hopefully enough people call in to let them know about this issue so they can resole the issue some of us are experiencing.
2023-10-30
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

robcasebolt@yah Posted at 10-30 09:35
I have the same problem. Just called DJI support and they said they have not heard of anyone else having this issue. Have you called them? I"m waiting for them to look into it and get back to me.

I sent an email to DJI support. Waiting for their engineers to get back to me. Suggest you send an email as well. The more people that do the greater the chance that something will change
2023-10-30
Use props
djiuser_rq7ybKdleGDN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 627464 ft
United States

Yes, I'm having the same problem getting the Photos app on my Mac to read Mini 4 Pro files off an SD card. The files are definitely there. I can see them if I look at the SD card in the Finder. I saw on another forum that the issue might have to do with how the Mini 4 Pro generates long file names that are not compatible with the ISO standard Apple uses. This problem did not occur with the Mini 3 Pro I had before. DJI needs to fix this. Fast. They cannot blame Apple if they suddenly switch to a file naming convention that is incompatible with international standards.
2023-10-30
Use props
robcasebolt
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-27 15:19
You can read the files with your PC, & I'll wager you could also easily access them with an Android device.   I believe the issue is not with the drone but with your iPhone.  I am not a fan of fruit devices, & I do not know much about them.  I only know that since way back everyone I knew with an iPhone or iPad had problems getting their photos & videos from their drones to their fruit devices.

If it's not the drone but our "fruit" devices you think are the problem then why does it show videos/photos in the "Photos" app when taken in my Air2S using the same SD card and reader but no videos/photos show up when taken with the Mini 4 Pro? Sorry, but it's not an IOS issue or even a SD card or card reader issue. I've alreaad eliminated those possibilities.
2023-10-30
Use props
fans585045bc
New

United States

robcasebolt@yah Posted at 10-29 10:11
I'm having the same problem. It did not read any photos or videos even when connecting directly  to iPad. If I put the same card into my Air 2S drone and take videos or photos the sd card will show those when transferring using a card reader. I do everything exactly the same using the Mini Pro 4 but no photos or videos show up on iPad or iMac. It must be an issue with the Mini Pro 4.

I’m having the same issue you are having.  Any updates from anyone on how to resolve this?
2023-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Use the files app on your phone,  it will see the files just fine.
2023-11-8
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-8 21:47
Use the files app on your phone,  it will see the files just fine.

Thanks. I said the same thing on an update posted 2 weeks ago. But it’s still weird I have to use the iOS Files app for DJI’s most recent products, and yet I can still use the native iOS Photos app to import files from older DJI products.
2023-11-8
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Steph Jant Posted at 11-8 22:20
Thanks. I said the same thing on an update posted 2 weeks ago. But it’s still weird I have to use the iOS Files app for DJI’s most recent products, and yet I can still use the native iOS Photos app to import files from older DJI products.

Something in the apple algorithm thats detecting the files as not a suitable format.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/ ... %20from%20your%20SD,automatically%20in%20the%20Import%20tab.
2023-11-8
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Finally after waiting almost 3 weeks I got a response back from DJI engineers…

“The DJI folder and file naming convention we currently use extends the JEITA & CIPA standard DCF naming convention, mainly to facilitate users' material organization and selection by optimizing the user's material presentation sorting, such as

1.Support custom directory/material naming
2. Intuitively distinguish pano, timelapse, hyperlapse and other advanced function mode materials
3. Added timestamp information directly in the naming
4. Can directly distinguish materials shot by different cameras, such as lenses with different focal lengths.

However, due to the extensive expansion of DJI folder and file naming conventions, there are a few compatibility issues (such as the Apple camera SD card adapter), so it may not be possible to directly use the system's built-in media library to browse and import materials.”
2023-11-16
Use props
Alex Lindi
New
Singapore

I'm using Osmo Pocket 3. Giving a try by renaming the files, deleting date number and "D" and all files can be read again on iPhone using Apple SD card camera reader.  DJI_20231201204825_0001_D =======>>> DJI_0001
2023-12-1
Use props
Steph Jant
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Alex Lindi Posted at 12-1 22:56
I'm using Osmo Pocket 3. Giving a try by renaming the files, deleting date number and "D" and all files can be read again on iPhone using Apple SD card camera reader.  DJI_20231201204825_0001_D =======>>> DJI_0001

Thanks for the information. Of course that is very time consuming if there are a lot of files. I will stick with my current workaround of using the iOS Files app
2023-12-1
Use props
Siuuu
New

Japan

Nowadays you got many transfer tool available on the Internet. Go grabb one, I myself use a FoneDog Phone Transfer software, other than sms, it works perfect
1-26 02:09
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

Interesting, I recently picked up a pair of Integra goggles, and after formating 2 Sandisk extreme pro 128 gig micro sd cards in the goggles, my PC would no longer detect the cards. I have previously used both cards in the Mini 3 and mini 4 pro's, formatted in the RC and RC2 and they read succesfully in a card reader plugged into my PC. I tried plugging the card reader into my android phone and it doesn't read it either, although it reads the card out of my RC2 just fine.
1-26 07:05
Use props
FabioV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 980066 ft
Italy

Photos and videos can be transferred from the Mini 4 Pro to the iPhone using the DJI Fly app and the Quick Connect. The DJI RC-N2 is not required. The transferred photos are stored directly into the photo app.
1-26 12:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules