What the heck are these filenames?
1854 22 2023-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Levi34Davis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1724337 ft
United States

Are you kidding me.  I just got this Mini 4 Pro and took her out and flew her and got THESE file names.

DJI_20231028130032_0001_D.DNG             Today, 1:00 PM
DJI_20231028130032_0001_D.JPG              Today, 1:00 PM
DJI_20231028130043_0002_D.LRF              Today, 1:05 PM
DJI_20231028130043_0002_D.MP4             Today, 1:05 PM
DJI_20231028130043_0002_D.SRT             Today, 1:05 PM
I mean I get the date 20231028 & the timeish.... 1300           32 & 43???????

What is this _D thing?

Is there anyway to change this???

2023-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Is there anyway to change this???
Not in the drone.
If you want to change them, you'll have to do it yourself after you copy the images across to your computer.

I mean I get the date 20231028 & the timeish.... 1300           32 & 43???????
32 & 43 are the seconds in the time stamp.

2023-10-28
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Yup stupid. The filenames should be totally changeable! Something DJI doesn't allow for some dumb reason.

2023-10-28
Use props
Potato mini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7275348 ft
United States

TP-FPV Posted at 10-28 16:05
Yup stupid. The filenames should be totally changeable! Something DJI doesn't allow for some dumb reason.

they probably don't allow it because DJI is DJI
2023-10-28
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

The D stands for which camera is taking the picture.
On my Matrice drone, I will see S (Screen), W (Wide) or Z (Zoom).
It's possible the D stands for Default - I could be wrong - but that is the significance of the letter.
2023-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Hoarfrost Posted at 10-28 18:18
On my Matrice drone, I will see S (Screen), W (Wide) or Z (Zoom).
It's possible the D stands for Default - I could be wrong - but that is the significance of the letter.
With the Mavic 3 pro, it doesn't matter which of the three cameras is used, the image files all have that D.
2023-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-28 18:46
In the Fly settings for the Mini 4 Pro you will find Custom Folder Naming & Custom File Naming options.  It's in the Storage section where you choose to store to internal storage or the SD card.

About the new default file names:  People were complaining that everything was a generic DJI_0001, DJI_0002, etc.., so they implemented including a date/time stamp into the filenames.  Not pretty but at least you don't wind up with a thousand DJI_0001 files.  Programming is a thankless task.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

In the Fly settings for the Mini 4 Pro you will find Custom Folder Naming & Custom File Naming options.
Yes ... but have you tried to use it?
Try it for an unpleasant surprise.
2023-10-28
Use props
Hoarfrost
lvl.4
Flight distance : 705974 ft
Canada

Labroides Posted at 10-28 19:16
With the Mavic 3 pro, it doesn't matter which of the three cameras is used, the image files all have that D.

Darn! I really thought I was on to something there. Although on my Matrice M30, that is what they mean. But I don't get why they wouldn't keep something useful like that for the other drones.

Does DJI have any answers?
2023-10-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-28 20:35
I have not tried to use it.  What is the problem with it?

When I tried, all you could do was to add additional characters to the beginning of the filename.
Completely useless.

2023-10-29
Use props
TP-FPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1146821 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-29 04:55
Definitely not what I would have expected.

Yes! That’s what is garbage about it. Most people don’t want file names that are excessively long which is what you get if you use their file renaming garbage!
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, Levi34Davis. Thank you for reaching out. D stands for the visual camera. To customize the file folder/footage suffix, add “_customized name” at the end of the original name. A1 file folder is generated after modifying the file folder suffix. After formatting the SD card or internal storage, the footage name of the SD card or internal storage starts from 0001, that is Year/month/day/hour/minute/second_0001_D.
2023-11-9
Use props
fans3ddf86f3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5351696 ft
United Kingdom

Me too.  The drone is fantastic - but the File naming is utter rubbish.  I cannot work with this system ! DJI - CHANGE IT PLEASE !
2023-12-9
Use props
fans3ddf86f3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5351696 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-9 05:38
Hi, Levi34Davis. Thank you for reaching out. D stands for the visual camera. To customize the file folder/footage suffix, add “_customized name” at the end of the original name. A1 file folder is generated after modifying the file folder suffix. After formatting the SD card or internal storage, the footage name of the SD card or internal storage starts from 0001, that is Year/month/day/hour/minute/second_0001_D.

THIS IS NOT NEEDED AND IS NOT ACCEPTABLE !
2023-12-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans3ddf86f3 Posted at 12-9 01:50
THIS IS NOT NEEDED AND IS NOT ACCEPTABLE !

Hi, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Rest assured that we've taken your feedback seriously.
2023-12-10
Use props
PauloNunes
New

Brazil

I remember that this change (to completely custom filenames without all that letters and numbers) was possible before in the Mini 3 Pro, I post here just to agree that this kind of filename is a mess! Maybe some people like or even need things the current way, but we could at least have the option to remove all of that and make our truly custom filename, why not? For a company that makes awesome drones and cameras, that releases in an update complex system features like vision assist, a change like this shouldn't have to require a ton of programming, should it?
1-5 03:33
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

PauloNunes Posted at 1-5 03:33
I remember that this change (to completely custom filenames without all that letters and numbers) was possible before in the Mini 3 Pro, I post here just to agree that this kind of filename is a mess! Maybe some people like or even need things the current way, but we could at least have the option to remove all of that and make our truly custom filename, why not? For a company that makes awesome drones and cameras, that releases in an update complex system features like vision assist, a change like this shouldn't have to require a ton of programming, should it?

We appreciate your feedback. Please let me forward this to the relevant team for awareness. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
1-5 21:52
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

PauloNunes Posted at 1-5 03:33

I remember that this change (to completely custom filenames without all that letters and numbers) was possible before in the Mini 3 Pro.
Your memory is faulty.
That has never been possible with DJI drones.
1-5 23:53
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

Potato mini Posted at 2023-10-28 17:28
they probably don't allow it because DJI is DJI

Sooo, that's why they had to remove the fan...

To make room for the size and the weight of the new filenames....
1-6 00:34
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 21:32
Use props
PauloNunes
New

Brazil

cyan Posted at 1-6 21:32
They are images most likely like .jpg

No, it applies also to dng (raw) photos and even movie filenames.
1-7 13:26
Use props
hvail
lvl.2
Flight distance : 990266 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just try and read them in Apple Photos!
1-8 13:03
Use props
Levi34Davis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1724337 ft
United States

I will then put forth my additional thoughts and requested changes in the future.
I am new to drones having purchased my first drone (Air 2s) April of 2022.  I love it.  I purchased a second drone (Mini 3 Pro) July of 2022 because it gave me something that I truly needed (shooting up angle) and finally my third drone (Mini 4 Pro) that gave me cruise (getting a little older slows down your fingers a bit and I wanted to keep things moving in a rate instead of jumping all over the place).
I have been a photographer since I was about 12 years old and have kept and maintained all of cameras regardless of film or digital.  The biggest issue with all these cameras and over a half a million photographs and videos is keeping track of them.  Obviously, when most mfgs label images, the standard quickly became a numbering scheme of 4 digits.  You can see what 500,000+ picture/images does to 9999.  I really don't care what they have for reasoning to label files as long as I can change when I have it on the computer.  My drones like all of my other photo equipment have either useful naming schemes or useful friendly names as in "Claire (Air2s), Ian (M3Pro) and Bree (M4Pro)".  As soon as I complete a flight, I ADD to the filename.  DJI_0001 becomes DJI_CLAIRE_20220420_0001.  I don't need time and I don't need the "D" or whatever lens is being used.  Time stamps are nice but less important then the date.  Maybe other users might not agree with me, but I hope that you might at least eliminate the "_D".  And maybe provide us with a way to establish our very own naming scheme.  Oh, and also allow us to decide if we want 0001 to be the numbering each day or just plain allow the numbers to continue regardless of day.
1-30 10:38
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

There file renamers out there, such as Bulk Rename Utility, I use it a lot, it works quite well.
1-31 10:08
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules