Issue with camera on Osmo Pocket 3 tilting upwards when powered on
3762 36 2023-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

Has anybody else experienced that the camera of the Osmo Pocket 3 tilting a bit upwards when powered on?
I've re-callibrated the camera several times but when holding the Osmo Pocket 3 and powering up the camera  it still tilts upwards and not forward.
If anyone has experienced this, is there a fix?
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there. Sorry about the experience. For further checking, will it be fine if you post a video showing the issue when turning on the Pocket 3? Thank you very much.
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

Thank you for your swift reply!
I've uploaded a video.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Really hope there is an ease way to fix this.

Many thanks for taking the time.
All the best,
Henry
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Tony Posted at 10-29 02:37
Hello there. Sorry about the experience. For further checking, will it be fine if you post a video showing the issue when turning on the Pocket 3? Thank you very much.

It seems I can’t upload a video. I’ll try again in this reply.
2023-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Upload to YouTube and post the link here?
2023-10-29
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

A thought - I seem to recall that there is a menu option that when the camera turns on, it should do so as it was when turned off.  Could this be to do with the problem?  Does it remember where the gimbal was pointing when last used?  Long shot...
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-29 07:44
A thought - I seem to recall that there is a menu option that when the camera turns on, it should do so as it was when turned off.  Could this be to do with the problem?  Does it remember where the gimbal was pointing when last used?  Long shot...

Thanks for the reply, I appriciate your help. but this is not the issue in this case. I have calibrated the Osmo Pocket 3 several times but it still tilts up,
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

Here is  a link to a video where I film my Osmo Pocket 3 tiliting upwards when powered on.

https://youtube.com/shorts/45eRZ8xoq1A?si=QkgapcrpiHiMM9qy
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

Here is  a link to a video where I film my Osmo Pocket 3 tiliting upwards when powered on.

[https://youtube.com/shorts/45eRZ8xoq1A?si=QkgapcrpiHiMM9qy
2023-10-29
Use props
John Walker
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I've just checked mine and it points straight ahead.
2023-10-29
Use props
Talonn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 564190 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed this behavior when powering on my OP 3 as well, it doesn't happen every time but I have seen it several times in the past few days. Thought I was alone.
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

Here is another video of it happening.

https://youtu.be/0Yt0cVhXfQI?si=rSz-Xq3AYdmv1vzB

2023-10-29
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

Have not seen this with mine.
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

RedArcade Posted at 10-29 07:57
Here is  a link to a video where I film my Osmo Pocket 3 tiliting upwards when powered on.

Thank you very much. I will forward this to the related department to check. I will get back to this. Thank you very much.
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

RedArcade Posted at 10-29 07:57
Here is  a link to a video where I film my Osmo Pocket 3 tiliting upwards when powered on.

Hi. Thank you for patiently waiting. Can you please check if the gimbal mode is in FPV mode? If so, please try switching to a different mode.

Thank you very much.
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Our engineers would like to further analyze the issue, would it be possible for you to transfer the camera logs to us? Please connect the device to the computer via type-C port and and find the file though this path: MISC-LOGS then express and the whole file for us. Also, to investigate it faster, please tell us the exact time and date when the issue occurred. Thank you in advance.
2023-10-29
Use props
RedArcade
lvl.2
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-29 23:21
Hello, there. Our engineers would like to further analyze the issue, would it be possible for you to transfer the camera logs to us? Please connect the device to the computer via type-C port and and find the file though this path: MISC-LOGS then express and the whole file for us. Also, to investigate it faster, please tell us the exact time and date when the issue occurred. Thank you in advance.

Hi, thank you for your reply.
I can't find the file called MISC-LOGS. There are no files named LOGS.

When I connect the camera The SD- card shows up on my Mac computer.
On my SD-card there is a folder called MISC and in it there are two other folders called IDX and THM and a file called PP-101.db

Am I doing anything wrong? Please let me know.
I really need this issue to be fixed.

Many thanks for taking the time.
2023-10-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

RedArcade Posted at 10-30 00:55
Hi, thank you for your reply.
I can't find the file called MISC-LOGS. There are no files named LOGS.

Thank you for your updates.
If you are using a Mac PC:
After a successful connection, a new storage device "Untitled" will appear on the PC. Select and hold down "Command &Shift & . “ to view the hidden files in the current folder; select the "MISC" folder and enter the "MISC" folder.
There is a file folder named “LOG” in the “MISC” file folder. Compress and compress and send the entire file folder to DJI Support. Please note the date on which the functionality error occurred.
2023-10-30
Use props
daveypoo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 328176 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have noticed this behavior when powering on my OP 3 as well, it doesn't happen every time but I have seen it several times in the past few days. Thought I was alone.
2023-11-4
Use props
eejanaika
New
Singapore

I've encountered this Issue a few times with Follow and FPV modes where the gimbal slowly drifts upwards during recording or is not perfectly centered when powered on.  
Had to re-center the gimbal occasionally before recording to ensure its not slightly tilting upwards.
It would be nice if the gimbal is always re-centered when powered on. It does start up in the direction per settings but might not be perfectly centered.

2023-11-6
Use props
JimSmith
New

United States

Yes, same. What I have done is turn it off and turn it on again and it points straight ahead.
2023-11-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

JimSmith Posted at 11-6 08:30
Yes, same. What I have done is turn it off and turn it on again and it points straight ahead.

Hello there. If the gimbal mode is in FPV, the camera will rotate to resume the same orientation when powered off last time. Have a nice day.
2023-11-6
Use props
Ninja-R
lvl.1

Taiwan

I have similar situation with my Pocket 3 and it happens all the time; this is actually very annoying! I have tried turning on and off and switching between Follow and FPV modes to reset it. Sometimes it works but most of the time no difference. The camera will still tilt upward for whatever reason at start up?! I am on a trip right now and will consider returning it afterward...
2023-11-29
Use props
FIOFON
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I have experienced this
2023-12-1
Use props
saibarspeis
lvl.1

Indonesia

Got the same issue. I have no idea what to do. I love this camera but I keep messing up shots because I think it's shooting forwards when in fact it's shooting towards the sky. This is such a disappointment.
2023-12-21
Use props
djiuser_S10iEEQuff7J
lvl.1
Flight distance : 575502 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Same here. Always need to tilt it downward via the joystick, otherwise I'm gonna record the ceiling.
2023-12-26
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

djiuser_S10iEEQuff7J Posted at 12-26 01:22
Same here. Always need to tilt it downward via the joystick, otherwise I'm gonna record the ceiling.

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please refer to the response of DJI Tony on post #16. Please note that if the gimbal is set to FPV mode, it will resume the same orientation when powered off last time. Please try to select another option and see if the issue persists. We appreciate your understanding.
2023-12-26
Use props
Ninja-R
lvl.1

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-26 02:25
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Please refer to the response of DJI Tony on post #16. Please note that if the gimbal is set to FPV mode, it will resume the same orientation when powered off last time. Please try to select another option and see if the issue persists. We appreciate your understanding.

I have tried different modes and tilting upwards issue still persists albeit intermittently though.
2023-12-27
Use props
Wiz33
Second Officer
Flight distance : 35994 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simple solution. make sure your pocket is in a near vertical position for a couple seconds before you turn it on. If it's more than 30 degree off vertical when you turn it on, it will tilt up. see the following video shorts.

https://youtube.com/shorts/WK4uD3r5Bvg?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/ldRxbyxRSXs?feature=share

2023-12-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Ninja-R Posted at 12-27 14:42
I have tried different modes and tilting upwards issue still persists albeit intermittently though.

Thank you for your response. When the device is powered on, it is not completely vertical. The initialized angle of the tilt axis faces upward relative to the front of the camera so when the device is turned on, the tilt angle will follow the initialized angle and appear to be moving upward. Please refer to the response of Wiz33 above. Have a nice day ahead.
2023-12-29
Use props
AlexYam
New

Australia

SOULTION FOUND, skip to the end if you don't want to see the rant...

SOULTION FOUND, skip to the end if you don't want to see the rant:
This is one of the most annoying bug I've ever encountered on any device.

The ignorance and arrogance is mind blowing, for DJI to decide to change the default behavior from previous products (P1
and P2), without offering an option to revert it.

ALL gimbal modes in the Pocket 3 suffer from this issue. And according to support, DJI engineers claim this is within the "normal logic":

>>> https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... =302156&pid=3195259
>>> After assessing the concern you provided, our engineers have confirmed that this is within the normal logic of the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 and not a bug.

Shocking.

That's like Honda suddenly decide that from now on the default behavior of stepping on the gas in your car, will move the car backwards, because they switched the drive and reverse gear position.

DJI, here is a simple IQ question:

If I am standing on a mountain top and I want to take a video of a boat on the lake below, quickly, or;

If I want to capture something running on the ground immediately because I only have a few seconds before it runs away.

What do you think people want to do:

1. Pull the Pocket 3 out, switch it on while focusing on the object like holding a magnifier, and immediately capture (the intuitive approach, the same thing you do when using a mobile phone camera, the same way billions of people do everyday).

OR:

2. Pull the Pocket 3 out, switch it on, wait a few seconds for the camera to slowly point to the sky like a complete moron, then waste 5 seconds to move the joystick and slowly wait for the camera to tilt back down, while carefully watching the screen to make sure it's has reached the right direction, instead of paying attention to the object, then, seconds later, notice the target object has already ran away, because it is too late.

According to DJI engineers, people want [2], because that is "normal logic". It doesn't occur to them the user may actually know what they're pointing at, and they don't have time to fiddle with the camera angle every time they want to use it.

This is what happens when a company gets too much market share, they suddenly start to think they know better than everyone in all situations at all times.

Just like the Microsoft switching to Metro UI from Windows 8. Where MS decided everyone should use a mobile interface on a large PC screen, and refuse to offer options to revert to Windows 7 behavior. Same irgnorance and arrogance.

Guess what happened next?

In Windows 10 they switched back to Windows 7 behavior, and you never see the same moronic full screen start menu ever again.

DJI, You are not smarter than every user in every situation. If you want to make counter intuitive changes, for any reasons, then PROVIDE AN OPTION TO REVERT TO PREVIOUS DEFAULT BEHAVIOR, that's how you care about users.

Fix this crap or provide an option to go back to previous product's behavior, or I'll never buy a DJI product again.

Imagine pulling out your mobile phone to take a video and having to waste seconds to tilt downwards every time.

I am not ranting just because there is a bug, that is expected, I am ranting because I paid $ for an obvious bug and then find out the engineers are too arrogance to even acknowledge it.

Your product is broken and it's annoying to use, fix it instead of giving excuses, simple.

Here is a workaround (temporary fix):

1. Switch on the Pocket 3
2. Use the stick to adjust the camera direction to a sane position, you can do this quickly by standing the Pocket 3 on a table and double press the stick.
3. This is the most important bit: Go to "Settings > Gimbal Startup Direction", change it to "Last Setting"
4. From now on, you get what you expect the moment you switch the P3 on. Assuming you don't tilt the camera to the sky before switching the Pocket 3 off.

You can thank me later.

1-13 03:39
Use props
Tomdroid
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22818 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlexYam Posted at 1-13 03:39
SOULTION FOUND, skip to the end if you don't want to see the rant:
This is one of the most annoying bug I've ever encountered on any device.

@AlexYam -- I'm not certain how this is a solution? My camera still boots on and levels at the horizon, even with these settings toggled :-/
1-13 14:05
Use props
djiuser_Eeb1DjqqqfPc
lvl.1
United States

Was this ever resolved? I am still encountering this issue. I used the temporary fix posted by AlexYam above which does work, but you do have to remember to reset the position of the camera before turning it off each time if you happen to move it manually. Otherwise without the fix in place, it always turns on with the camera pointed slightly upward. The pocket is in a perfectly vertical position (standing on a desk or handheld). This happens in Follow and FPV mode so it is not related to just being in FPV mode. Gimbal has been calibrated.
2-6 21:53
Use props
tacticz
lvl.2

Australia

No still same problem, hopefully the address it in the next firmware.
2-10 20:54
Use props
djiuser_DfJOvqXqQv9t
New
Thailand

Me at dinner last night. Special moment, see waiter approaching with my sizzling plate, quickly power on P3, click record as reflex, few seconds later replay vid and presto, nice shots of the ceiling. wah wha waaaaa..... I get that we can make the P3 open in centered mode IF IF IF we remembered to close it AFTER recentering it last close BUT it makes infinitely more sense to DEFAULT to centered as normal after powering on (and those who want to open to the sky or floor or whatever can do so by enabling open to last setting). For the rest of us PLEASE JUST OPEN CENTERED. Thank you
3-30 20:35
Use props
busbyvideo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes this is happening to mine.  Need to keep resetting or using button to tilt down.  Pocket 2 did not have this problem.
4-1 17:44
Use props
busbyvideo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yes I still have the same problem. Very frustraiting.  Didn't have this problem with pocket 2, so must be fixable.
4-1 18:07
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules