Adding waypoints using option 4
554 4 2023-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 400902 ft
South Africa

I would like to be able to add waypoints whilst walking along a path, with the drone not actually being in flight. Is this possible?
e.g the drone can be hand held, turned on, if need be and then i want to be able to set waypoints using the controller.
It would be much quicker and a more accurate way of setting up a repeat flight path.
Let me know.
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Buc. Sorry, the described option is not yet possible. However, I will forward your feedback as a suggestion to the related team. We appreciate your patience and great support.
2023-10-31
Use props
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
South Africa

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-31 11:58
With a few caveats I don't see why this would not work, so long as the drone has a good GPS lock, & if Fly allows you to record Waypoints with C1 when the drone isn't technically in flight.  Just align the camera to your liking at each point, then record the point.  Do this point by point, then save your mission at the end.

The caveats - FIrst, the drone won't be flying, so it will not have any altitude reference points.  You will have to manually enter in altitude settings for each point based on the altitude of the planned launch spot vs. ground elevation at each individual waypoint.

Thanks Dirty Bird. My experience shows one cannot capture waypoints from the drone, unless it is in flight. I tried.
For my purposes, setting up a mission using the RC controller is too cumbersome, because of all the fine tuning required afterward. That's the reason for my reaching out to DJI.
I tried firing her up without take off to see whether this could be a work around. No luck this way, either.
Your concerns/advise are mine exactly.
I don't  feel comfortable turning obstacle avoidance off, but with it on the drone aborts the mission too regularly  when it senses trouble. I thought with 200 points per mission available and marking waypoints whilst walking, the task could be completed much easier and quicker.
If only the bypass mode worked... That would be end of discussion.
2023-11-2
Use props
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
South Africa

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-2 06:06
What about putting the drone in Cine mode and flying it between points while you walk?  I am not sure what sort of mission you are planning or how tight the tolerances are for your flight?  Waypoints for a Mini 4 are good but not super precise like the 2-4 cm accuracy of an RTK unit.  More like 2 meters.   Plotting a mission through tight spaces is probably beyond the capability of a drone with a standard GPS receiver.

Some context.
I was following an endurance cycling race along some jeep track, on the side of a mountain, parts of which were tree lined, passing under the odd railway bridge. I wanted to log certain sections and follow the various athletes as they entered these.
The cine mode walking behind the drone works, but it is time consuming and needs a few iterations, with minor adjustments, in order to perfect.
I wanted a quicker way of doing it.
So, I thought I could outsmart the drone by taking it for a walk...but alas.
Again. I would imagine that the bypass function would've been really helpful.
As an aside. What a great little drone!
ps Love your work Dirty Bird
2023-11-2
Use props
Buc_Caneer
lvl.1
South Africa

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-3 03:39
Thanks!  Not sure of why they don't allow Bypass to work during a Waypoint mission.  Perhaps they don't want to risk it diverting the course to an extent that it causes a crash?   Personally I would like them change the behavior of "Brake & Hover" when an object is encountered to include an option of "RTH".  I think the best course is just do due diligence in correctly programming so you don't encounter an obstacle.

Sure.
I think they'll keep improving. I'm still blown away by the technology they have packed onto this tiny thing.
What can now be achieved as a solo content creator, is mind blowing. Fifteen years ago, this was the domain of large budget outfits.
2023-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules