POCKET 3 | TURN OFF FOCUS
5027 16 2023-10-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

Hello,

Is het possible to completly turn off the focus mode on the  POCKET 3?

If i choose  'Single' mode and tap on a point to focus. Lets say a bike in the front and background door. And i tap on the background door
It will still focus the background and blurring the front bike object.

If i tap on the bike. It will focus the bike and blurring the background door.
I just want the full image (bike and door) as clear as possible.

I will post a footage example later on the thay then you can see exactly what i mean.
2023-10-29
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I knew this was coming with 1 inch sensor. The DOF is much clear and if focus is not correct it is blur then.

These are light physics. It is not digital effect. You can't do anything about that.

This is the compromise with bigger sensor with fast lens. You loose that everything is in focus.

You NEED smaller sensor and slower lens that everything is in focus.
2023-10-29
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you upload the video.
2023-10-30
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1634843 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Aavalaakso Posted at 10-29 23:37
I knew this was coming with 1 inch sensor. The DOF is much clear and if focus is not correct it is blur then.

These are light physics. It is not digital effect. You can't do anything about that.

It's mainly an aperture behavior. With big sensor and big aperture (I mean F11 or more) the DOF will be bigger.
2023-10-30
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

Xavier1984 Posted at 10-30 06:45
It's mainly an aperture behavior. With big sensor and big aperture (I mean F11 or more) the DOF will be bigger.

The bigger aperture value, the smaller hole is, the "slower" it is. Yes.
2023-10-30
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

As you can see in Single mode, if i tap on the back the front object will blurred. and if i tap on the object the background will blurred. How can i get everything in focus? without that anything will blurred?!

2023-10-30
Use props
H3llo
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 10-30 04:26
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let us know if you upload the video.

Hi DJI Wanda,

Thanks for your reply. Please check the footage
2023-10-30
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
  • >>>
Finland

With Pocket 3 you cant. It is huge 1 inch sensor with fixed 2.0 aperture.

You need camera with smaller sensor and bigger aperture value to get everything on focus.

Take a paid photography lecture/course?
2023-10-30
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
Ireland

H3llo Posted at 10-30 07:32
Thanks for your reply. Please check the footage

Hi. That’s totally normal with a larger sensor. Actually, many people want that effect in their video because it focuses your attention on the subject and can help to alleviate video judder effects in the background  caused by moving the camera quickly at slower frame rates.

That's one of the reasons why many prefer the footage from bigger (DSLR) cameras.... they want that effect. It's called Bokeh effect.

There is no way around this on the Pocket 3. You just need to make sure that you’re focused on your main subject. Or something you could try is to tap between the two objects to see if you can use what depth of field there is to get them both in......

The further away the lens is focused, the less you will see this.

2023-10-30
Use props
djiuser_slDvJVI0oH8G
New

Canada

Iancraig10 Posted at 10-30 07:44
Hi. That’s totally normal with a larger sensor. Actually, many people want that effect in their video because it focuses your attention on the subject and can help to alleviate video judder effects in the background  caused by moving the camera quickly at slower frame rates.

That's one of the reasons why many prefer the footage from bigger (DSLR) cameras.... they want that effect. It's called Bokeh effect.

This is the main reason I didn't buy the pocket 3. You'll hear people try to say that bokeh somehow instantly equates to professional looking video, but imo it actively detracts from walk and talk style vlogs. It's great for interviews, portrait photography or product showcase but when you're outside in an interesting location, have a 60%blurry frame any time you hand hold the dji isn't what I was looking for. Honestly the action 4 is still a better blogging tool currently than the pocket 3. Weather sealed, wider frame and infinite focus. If it had the low light performance of the pocket 3, Id put it on a gimbal if I wanted the mech gimbal performance and wouldn't even be close.
2023-11-19
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_slDvJVI0oH8G Posted at 11-19 13:19
This is the main reason I didn't buy the pocket 3. You'll hear people try to say that bokeh somehow instantly equates to professional looking video, but imo it actively detracts from walk and talk style vlogs. It's great for interviews, portrait photography or product showcase but when you're outside in an interesting location, have a 60%blurry frame any time you hand hold the dji isn't what I was looking for. Honestly the action 4 is still a better blogging tool currently than the pocket 3. Weather sealed, wider frame and infinite focus. If it had the low light performance of the pocket 3, Id put it on a gimbal if I wanted the mech gimbal performance and wouldn't even be close.

Funnily enough, that was my first thoughts about the Pocket 3 before it came out. (Along with other potential issues) While it’s nice to have Bokeh, on the Pocket, there is no real choice. It’s a great look, but if it misses the target the shot can’t be used. I'm surprised there isn't a touch focus on the screen tbh. (Or have I missed it and there is one?)

I love the A4 for vloggy stuff. It’s bright and impactful. Also as you say, focus is not really an issue.

I still really like the quality of the P3 picture though and it has some excellent qualities, but with my slight misgivings about a few things, I’m holding off for a while until we start to see less ‘stars in the eyes’ type reviews and just normal footage flying out.

At the moment, it’s mostly reviews and testing but I’m waiting to see if it really becomes a staple kind of vloggy  camera. The price is just on the verge of being too close to other cameras so that has helped to stop me, but it is a little beast of a camera!
2023-11-19
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I too had that response (walking and talking, background gets blurred, which is a pain if it's the subject of the talking) - but then I thought, maybe it's a question of style.  Typically on the TV, when people talk about stuff to camera on location, after a few seconds the picture cuts away from the talker and concentrates on the scene.  Maybe we've got too used to loooong shots of the speaker's face, relying on shallow DOF to show what he or she is talking about.  Maybe with the Pocket 3, talk onscreen for 20 - 30 seconds, then flip the gimbal around, and show the scene and not your face.  This has the advantage with 4K resolution that you don't have to keep noticing that the narrator has a pimple on the end of their nose which totally distracts from what they are saying...
2023-11-19
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

Hi H3llo,
pocket3 has an 1inch sensor with F2.0,  the Hyper Focal distance is about 2 meters to infinity.
If you focus object with in 2 meter, you will see the depth of field.

On the other hand, smaller sensor and smaller aperture like action4,  the Hyper Focal distance is about 0.4 meters to infinity.
the relationship between sensor aperture and Hyper Focal distance is a basic physical optics rule.
depth of field differs based on camera design.
reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperfocal_distance
2023-11-19
Use props
IftiBashir
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like OP bought the wrong camera from the job - would have been better suited with the infinity focus of the Action 4......
2023-11-20
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

The real problem is that even in the photo that the background is suppose to be in focus, it's not that in focus.  For whatever reason, the Pocket 3 just can't bring out the details.  This is not a DOF problem, it's a DJI software problem.  
2023-11-20
Use props
DaveSp
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6562 ft
United States

RayNY Posted at 11-20 06:40
The real problem is that even in the photo that the background is suppose to be in focus, it's not that in focus.  For whatever reason, the Pocket 3 just can't bring out the details.  This is not a DOF problem, it's a DJI software problem.

Can't see that in the reduced uploaded image.
2023-11-20
Use props
RayNY
lvl.3
United States

DaveSp Posted at 11-20 06:46
Can't see that in the reduced uploaded image.

Look at the leaves to the right of the image compared to the ones next to the bench.  The leaves to the right are more in focus than the ones in the back.  This tells me it's a focus problem of the Pocket 3.  With a F2.0 aperture which is approximately F5.6 on a FF camera if the focus on the background is the intended area then the background should be fairly sharp.  Not just the leaves on the right which is a bit closer to the foreground.  I've tested the 3 extensively and it has a focus/software problem.  This doesn't happen with the Pocket 2 or any of my FF cameras.   
2023-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules