Active Track Fail
718 6 2023-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3740 ft
Germany

The Active Track with tracking mode is a great thing. Unfortunately limited to people and vehicles. But I would like to be followed while swimming, and all a drone can see is my head.

On my first attempt of this kind, the drone quickly lost sight of me and simply stopped, I had to go back to land and control it manually.

Today a new attempt: I hide behind a small dam so that the Mini4 could only see my head. This obviously confused it rather much. it kept flying back and forth. The prerequisite for this, however, was that I had activated "flight close to the ground" and that the copter flew high enough that it could easily get over the top of the dam. Only when I stood on the dam again and was recognized as a "person", it calmed down again.
The flight can be seen
As I said: all maneuvers are fully automatic without any manual intervention.

2023-10-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you tried it with a bright colored cap?  Just a thought as active track seems to work better when the object selected is wearing a bright color.  
2023-10-30
Use props
Paul Lenz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3740 ft
Germany

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-30 09:30
Have you tried it with a bright colored cap?  Just a thought as active track seems to work better when the object selected is wearing a bright color.

I tried today with my Mini4 and my old Mavic 2 Zoom. In both cases, it did not work.
If I mark only my head and my shoulders on the screen, there are two possibilities:
1.) the controller complains because it wants to follow only persons and vehicles
2.) the controller realizes that this is a person, and enhances the frame until it includes my feet.
If case 2 happens and I hide my legs and my body behind a dam, and if only my head is visible (even with a bright yellow cap!), it loses me out of the focus.
This really a pity. There are so many consumer cameras which are able to recognize faces, but DJI drones are not able.
2023-10-31
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paul Lenz Posted at 10-31 14:52
I tried today with my Mini4 and my old Mavic 2 Zoom. In both cases, it did not work.
If I mark only my head and my shoulders on the screen, there are two possibilities:
1.) the controller complains because it wants to follow only persons and vehicles

Maybe DJI can tweak the FW or Software a bit and  make it happen.
2023-11-1
Use props
djiuser_LzxmIzO81HDY
lvl.1
Flight distance : 75358 ft
United States

Just bought the Air 3, active track sucks! I can't get it to work properly. It won't stay on subject, shuts off on its own, and the list goes on. Seems like it's worthless!
2023-11-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hello there. Sorry about the inconvenience. Please make sure the subject is not obstructed. The aircraft will keep flying at the current speed and orientation for 8 seconds to try and re-identify the subject. If the aircraft fails to re-identify the subject in 10 seconds, it will exit ActiveTrack automatically. Have a nice day.
2023-11-5
Use props
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

Wow, all these issues with a very expensive toy
2023-11-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules