681 23 2023-10-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Hey all,

Had two issues today.
1. Low batt alert occured but the craft did not return to home and crashed when auto land initiated in a bad spot Home point was registered before take off and the RTH time warnings were visible on the batt icon.

2. When I tried to re-set HP with RC I got a message that it could not be done because the RC was not connected to GPS? I thought it had GPS in it. Does it need to be connected to a phone?

Thx

2023-10-30
Use props
Ranjan
Second Officer
India

How many satellites were you locked in when you took off?
2023-10-30
Use props
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Ranjan Posted at 10-30 19:23
How many satellites were you locked in when you took off?

there were 23 sats
2023-10-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Why did you want to reset the drone's home point?
Had you moved since you launched the drone?

To find out more about your incident, please post your flight data.
What's needed is the most recent .txt file that you'll find in the controller's internal memory.
The file location is here:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord

2023-10-30
Use props
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 10-30 19:27
Why did you want to reset the drone's home point?
Had you moved since you launched the drone?

It s a feature I had not tried before. The first low batt warning was only about 60 seconds before auto land was initiated
2023-10-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

robob23 Posted at 10-30 19:30
It s a feature I had not tried before. The first low batt warning was only about 60 seconds before auto land was initiated

Unless you had moved a substantial distance from the launch point, there was no need to reset the home point at all.The drone would have returned to where you launched from.

This doesn't sound like a failure of the RTH process.
There's more to the story.

If you post your flight data, I can look into the details of your incident and see what went wrong.
You might have to upload the txt file to dropbox or similar and post a link.
2023-10-30
Use props
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Labroides Posted at 10-30 19:37
Unless you had moved a substantial distance from the launch point, there was no need to reset the home point at all.The drone would have returned to where you launched from.

This doesn't sound like a failure of the RTH process.

Two separate incidents, not connected. My understanding is that RTH is a baked in feature other than loss of signal which is set to RTH not hover or land.
2023-10-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

robob23 Posted at 10-30 20:04
Two separate incidents, not connected. My understanding is that RTH is a baked in feature other than loss of signal which is set to RTH not hover or land.

The miniscule amount of info you've given doesn't explain why you think there was a failure of RTH.
And without flight data, no-one can really help work out what happened and why.

If you want help, please post flight data for the two incidents.

2023-10-30
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The DJI RC does have GPS, the controller's manual lists the systems it can connect to. I do not know if it can be disabled in a menu.

Posting the .txt flight log or logs to here or, uploading it/them to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and posting the resulting URL/s here, would be a good idea.
The log/s should answer many questions.
2023-10-30
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. May we know if you submitted a case for the drone? If you have any questions about the accident and the drone is still under warranty period, you can apply for data analysis services. Here is the link: https://www.dji.com/support/repair?from=store_footer
2023-10-31
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

For issue 1, I assume the battery got critically low. Low enough that it was unable to RTH, so it did an emergency landing. Again, flight logs will tell.

For issue 2, the RC does have its own GPS. I can only assume it lost signal for some reason, which is unusual in an open space. In a vehicle, building, cave or ravine, I could understand it happening.
2023-10-31
Use props
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Thanks very much for all the replies. I have the drone out for a few flights and everything is working fine. RTH worked as it should and the maps are now appearing on my RC

The very quick critical warning I have determined was because the drone was so close to the HP >5m. Though today, it was >5m  and only about 10m high and the drone RTH as I was attempting to landing. Lesson learned, keep an eye on the battery when you are flying right above HP and near to it cuz warning comes quick.

I'll get better as I use it more. Quite a machine
2023-10-31
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

robob23 Posted at 10-31 17:36
Thanks very much for all the replies. I have the drone out for a few flights and everything is working fine. RTH worked as it should and the maps are now appearing on my RC

The very quick critical warning I have determined was because the drone was so close to the HP >5m. Though today, it was >5m  and only about 10m high and the drone RTH as I was attempting to landing. Lesson learned, keep an eye on the battery when you are flying right above HP and near to it cuz warning comes quick.

You need to read the manual re RTH its all explained in there, especially about being too close to the HP
2023-10-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

robob23 Posted at 10-31 17:36
Thanks very much for all the replies. I have the drone out for a few flights and everything is working fine. RTH worked as it should and the maps are now appearing on my RC

The very quick critical warning I have determined was because the drone was so close to the HP >5m. Though today, it was >5m  and only about 10m high and the drone RTH as I was attempting to landing. Lesson learned, keep an eye on the battery when you are flying right above HP and near to it cuz warning comes quick.
"Lesson learned, keep an eye on the battery when you are flying right above HP and near to it cuz warning comes quick."

You should keep any eye on the battery level at ALL distances.
2023-10-31
Use props
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-31 22:40
"Lesson learned, keep an eye on the battery when you are flying right above HP and near to it cuz warning comes quick."

You should keep any eye on the battery level at ALL distances.

Good advice. I think I will use my iPhone count down alarm feature to help keep track of time. The time goes fast when flying.
2023-10-31
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

robob23 Posted at 10-31 23:15
Good advice. I think I will use my iPhone count down alarm feature to help keep track of time. The time goes fast when flying.

That's not a bad idea but remember
1) battery consumption is not solely dependant on time, it also varies with how the drone is flown.
2) the trigger values of automated behaviours such as "low battery RTH" are distance and height related, that of the initial "forced landing" is solely height dependant. If you don't know what those are, read the manual.
2023-10-31
Use props
robob23
lvl.1

Canada

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-31 23:30
That's not a bad idea but remember
1) battery consumption is not solely dependant on time, it also varies with how the drone is flown.
2) the trigger values of automated behaviours such as "low battery RTH" are distance and height related, that of the initial "forced landing" is solely height dependant. If you don't know what those are, read the manual.

Yeh, I will ad in a 5min safety just to remind me to keep a closer eye on the time.cuz it is easy to get distracted. A reminder that the batt is getting low will help I think.
2023-10-31
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

My Mini 3 pro and RC no longer warn me about battery depletion.  Flies around then just says returning to home due to low battery.  Always used to give a warning before this point didn't it?  Or am I just imagining it did?
2023-11-4
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

Rockbyter Posted at 11-4 03:27
My Mini 3 pro and RC no longer warn me about battery depletion.  Flies around then just says returning to home due to low battery.  Always used to give a warning before this point didn't it?  Or am I just imagining it did?

I think you are right, you do not get a warning before battery is to low. In my Mavic 2 Pro I can set the battery percentage when the warning will advice me. That way I will have plenty of time to get home. As I always fly so that I can see the drone I am never more than 200m away. Some time ago I did write about this and said I am missing this feature which is very good and makes it safe to get home. Now with the Mini 3 Pro and RC Pro, I have to constantly check the battery level. It is Ok, but I would prefer to be able to set the alarm. This way I can keep my eyes on the drone better.

I just wonder why DJI took this feature away and why it would be safer the way it is now?
2023-11-4
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rockbyter Posted at 11-4 03:27

Hi,

The "low battery" warning for a safe flight to HP is not a fixed value, depends on distance away from HP and fly height.
See the 2 charts, once the green part is 'gone', a low warning battery message appears.
With 71 % battery the battery is not low on power ect, just bit far away from HP.....

imo DJI should change this warning text, battery is not low but remaining battery % is just enough to reach home!

cheers
JJB
Analysis1.png
Analysis2.png
2023-11-4
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-4 04:38
Hi,

The "low battery" warning for a safe flight to HP is not a fixed value, depends on distance away from HP and fly height.

Many thanks for your good explanation JJB, which I fully understand. I have not yet been so far away when flying that this has come up. How long does the display show Battery Level Low? Is there a voice also saying something or is there a beep?
2023-11-4
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I don't mean a warning to return home as this is obviously ambiguous.  I just thought it used to warn at say 50% or 20%.  This may have been on my mini 2 using litchi perhaps.
2023-11-5
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rockbyter Posted at 11-5 02:23
I don't mean a warning to return home as this is obviously ambiguous.  I just thought it used to warn at say 50% or 20%.  This may have been on my mini 2 using litchi perhaps.

hi,

never on all my DJI drones i have had a batt warning message at 50%
But at 20% yes, if you fly close to HP so there is  still  a green part on the battery circle

cheers
JJB
2023-11-5
Use props
Rockbyter
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I don't get any warnings at all now, just battery low returning to home.  i thought I used to get a pop up at 20%.   not to worry just have to keep looking at the screen!  Oh but I can't due to VLOS.
2023-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules