8059 33 2023-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GerdS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4303379 ft
Germany

Hi,

This is actually a frequently discussed theme in German forums and I would ask a DJI member for a statement.

Problem: Position lights are required for night flights according to the C0/C1 rules. The Mini 4 Pro does have its lights at the rear legs and all is ok as long as no video recording is active. In case of video recording the firmware will shut down the lights.
There is no logical reason from my point for doing so, as the rear lights will not interfere with the video recording.

So please DJI, let us know the reason for switching the lights off, or if there is none, remove this unwanted feature with the next firmware update!

Regards, Gerd

2023-11-4
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

DJI must revise this function in order to fulfill the legal requirements for changing to C1.
2023-11-4
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

RoZis Posted at 11-4 02:26
DJI must revise this function in order to fulfill the legal requirements for changing to C1.

It's also requested for C0.
2023-11-4
Use props
djiuser_NtsfJWlZIVle
New
Flight distance : 810410 ft
Germany

And the same Option for the Mini 3 (Pro).

Maybe with the possibly to add a switch on the option menu where you can choose a "night mode". And in the case that the lights are visible on the Video it is the problem of the Pilot. There could be add a Infobox with a note, that this could happend.
After press on ok the lights are switch on for the flights.
The mode could be disabled with a switch.
2023-11-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. DJI Mini 4 Pro turns off its rear aircraft status indicator when it captures videos. DJI Mini 4 Pro turns on its rear aircraft status indicator when it stops capturing videos. We will forward this feedback of yours to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-11-4
Use props
RoZis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423173 ft
Germany

We are familiar with the function.
This is about compliance with EU legislation as defined by EASA.

There is feedback from telephone conversations with DJI Germany that in upcoming firmware updates the option will be added to leave the green status indicators switched on even during video recordings.

According to EASA, the manufacturer of a drone must mention any restricted operating conditions in the operating instructions.
Restricted operation is given if the drone cannot be operated in video mode during night flight because the EASA provides for the green flashing light function during night flight, but this is switched off during video mode.

This means that the affected drones will no longer be legally compliant on the market after 01.01.2024.
Firmware change is mandatory.

We don't have much time left, it should be done before the New Year

2023-11-6
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-6 13:53
If you are flying at night why not just pick up a couple of small strobes?  Not only will there be much brighter & visible from much further, but you will also be able to see the drone from front & rear?  Of what use are the lights when the drone is facing you & you are trying to bring it home?

That would put the drone over 250 grams. Which brings up a completely different set of rules and regulations!
2023-11-6
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why not just add the external strobes and fly it under the 500g limit.

Or, here in the UK we have the A2 CofC do you have something similar), which allows one to fly up to 500g under the same rules as the sub 250g except for, no intentional flight over persons. Its the reason I took the exam.
It means I can now further with external navigation lights than without as it increases my VLOS and much further at night.
2023-11-6
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

Bashy Posted at 11-6 18:07
Why not just add the external strobes and fly it under the 500g limit.

Or, here in the UK we have the A2 CofC do you have something similar), which allows one to fly up to 500g under the same rules as the sub 250g except for, no intentional flight over persons. Its the reason I took the exam.

If attaching external LEDs to Mini Pro 4 it will exceed the 250g limitation and therefore loose its C0 classification. Beginning with 2024 it will then be treated as an outdated drone, only allowed to fly in A3 category.
With C0 classification it is not allowed adding additional parts to the drone, except for vendor-approved parts such as ND filters.
So there is no easy external alternative to the built-in status LEDs.

2023-11-7
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GerdS Posted at 11-7 06:50
If attaching external LEDs to Mini Pro 4 it will exceed the 250g limitation and therefore loose its C0 classification. Beginning with 2024 it will then be treated as an outdated drone, only allowed to fly in A3 category.
With C0 classification it is not allowed adding additional parts to the drone, except for vendor-approved parts such as ND filters.
So there is no easy external alternative to the built-in status LEDs.

Are you saying that you cannot fly it under the 500g classification? Thats a shame if so.

We can over here in the UK and like i said, if you have the A2 CofC then that affords you the same rules s the sub 250g except for, no intentional flight over peeps

The bad part there is, the A2 CofC is looking to become obsolete after Jan 26 or whenever our certs run out, which ever is the later.
2023-11-7
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-4 19:47
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. DJI Mini 4 Pro turns off its rear aircraft status indicator when it captures videos. DJI Mini 4 Pro turns on its rear aircraft status indicator when it stops capturing videos. We will forward this feedback of yours to our relevant team for attention. Thank you for your understanding.

Hi, I am somewhat disappointed about todays firmware update, which still doesn't fix the lighting issue.
2023-12-21
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

RoZis Posted at 11-6 12:12
We are familiar with the function.
This is about compliance with EU legislation as defined by EASA.

fully agree. i think DJI technicians are not aware of this important issue.
2023-12-21
Use props
Nexus Redux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7878520 ft
  • >>>
Austria

GerdS Posted at 12-21 06:30
Hi, I am somewhat disappointed about todays firmware update, which still doesn't fix the lighting issue.

me2 as well
2023-12-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

GerdS Posted at 12-21 06:30

Hello, GerdS. Thank you for your feedback. We're deeply sorry that this request was not included in the latest firmware that we released for the DJI Mini 4 Pro. Rest assured that we will continue to record such feedback to reach our developers. Hope this will be considered soon. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
2023-12-25
Use props
ptrck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286073 ft
Czechia

Hello, any updates?
2-12 05:19
Use props
djiuser_C4BTNWDZmWaq
New

Belgium

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-12-25 02:42
Hello, GerdS. Thank you for your feedback. We're deeply sorry that this request was not included in the latest firmware that we released for the DJI Mini 4 Pro. Rest assured that we will continue to record such feedback to reach our developers. Hope this will be considered soon. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Hello
Same impact in Belgium.
I would be great to have at least a choice/function added to leave it on even when recording.
Regards.
2-12 06:04
Use props
goneoffyoghurt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 586194 ft
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 2023-12-25 02:42

Hello,

Is there any further news on if/when this could happen?

Tim
2-14 11:40
Use props
Manitobahunter
lvl.4
Canada

Mini 4 Pro has a rather bright LED on the bottom that can be switched on, I haven't flown up Captain Marvel style and hovered in front of it but I'm thinking given its brightness, it would be visiblt from anywhere except directly above. It's most certainly bright and visible from the ground for quite a distance!
2-14 22:48
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

ptrck Posted at 2-12 05:19
Hello, any updates?

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We haven't received any relevant news about this request. We suggest subscribing to our official website for the latest news and updates. We appreciate your understanding.
2-15 01:30
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_C4BTNWDZmWaq Posted at 2-12 06:04
Hello
Same impact in Belgium.
I would be great to have at least a choice/function added to leave it on even when recording.

Hi there. We're sorry if this has been requested in the past but has not been implemented yet. We will also record this feedback of yours regarding the request and will forward it to the designated team for attention. As of the time being, the DJI Mini 4 Pro turns off its rear aircraft status indicator when it captures videos. DJI Mini 4 Pro turns on its rear aircraft status indicator when it stops capturing videos. We appreciate your patience and understanding.
2-15 01:33
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

goneoffyoghurt Posted at 2-14 11:40
Hello,

Is there any further news on if/when this could happen?

Hi there. Regretfully, we don't have any timeframe on when the suggested function be implemented on the unit. Please note that not all requested features will be approved as there may be some technical or firmware limitations. We suggest checking the release notes of the specific aircraft to have detailed information about the new function included in a new firmware release. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2-15 01:37
Use props
fanscbe0187a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 629449 ft
  • >>>
Germany

But is it sure the function will come in future? I was horrified when I noticed my drone doesn't have this function.
2-16 04:42
Use props
skyscope
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 4202785 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Ultimately, a constantly flashing green light is a requirement for the C1 classification, therefore this would have to be implemented in one way or another for the Mini 4 Pro within the proposed C1 "upgrade".  And then there would be little argument against releasing it for the C0 Mini 4 Pros as well.
2-16 05:57
Use props
fansd91f6f34
lvl.2
Flight distance : 827470 ft
Spain

skyscope Posted at 2-16 05:57
Ultimately, a constantly flashing green light is a requirement for the C1 classification, therefore this would have to be implemented in one way or another for the Mini 4 Pro within the proposed C1 "upgrade".  And then there would be little argument against releasing it for the C0 Mini 4 Pros as well.

There are those who say that DJI has already changed the C0 to C1 in Europe. The truth is, I don't know how that is possible, if they keep turning off the LEDs when recording. As you say, it is a requirement to obtain the C1.
2-16 06:32
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

fansd91f6f34 Posted at 2-16 06:32
There are those who say that DJI has already changed the C0 to C1 in Europe. The truth is, I don't know how that is possible, if they keep turning off the LEDs when recording. As you say, it is a requirement to obtain the C1.

I just installed the new firmware 01.00.0400 on my declassified Mini 4 Pro and did a short test flight.
When recording video, the status LEDs will still get switched off, as was before.
Why is DJI so unwilling for changing this behaviour, especially as this is a requirement for C1? Or does it only work for drones requalified for C1?
4-12 00:29
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

DJI meets the requirements since the M4P blinks green during flight. There is no mention in the regulations that the drone must also blink during video recording. This means personal responsibility comes into play. Legally speaking, you are currently not allowed to film at night.

For example, in Italy, drone flights after dark are generally prohibited.
4-12 01:18
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

MKmini4 Posted at 4-12 01:18
DJI meets the requirements since the M4P blinks green during flight. There is no mention in the regulations that the drone must also blink during video recording. This means personal responsibility comes into play. Legally speaking, you are currently not allowed to film at night.

For example, in Italy, drone flights after dark are generally prohibited.

In Germany flights during night are allowed, but the drone needs a blinking light. So it must not get turned off during recording.
And due to my knowledge this is part of the EU regulations and as Italy is part of the EU it applies to your country, too.
4-12 01:21
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

I'm also from Germany ;). I just wanted to clarify that DJI complies with the regulations.
Requirement: During flight, the drone must blink green at night.
Mini 4 Pro behavior during night flight: It blinks green.
When you start recording a video, it stops blinking -> prohibited.
4-12 01:31
Use props
MKmini4
lvl.3
Germany

Someone wrote here that it works with the current fw:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 226&pid=3289400
4-13 08:57
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

MKmini4 Posted at 4-13 08:57
Someone wrote here that it works with the current fw:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=298226&pid=3289400

I have declassified my Mini 4 Pro in December, but not reclassified it for C1. Probably DJI has corrected the LED issue only for the official C1 version. But this should apply to all versions of Mini 4, regardless of C0, C1 or nothing.
4-13 09:16
Use props
AntonioM
lvl.1
Spain

any solution!!!!!????? its April!!!!!! It shouldn't be as difficult to make the lights stay on while recording like other models!!!! It is the law that requires this function.
4-18 02:42
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

Today I got a new firmware version ...0500 and the problem is still the same, LEDs are still shut off during recording video.
However, I have heared rumors about Mini 4 pros which don't shut off their LEDs.
My Mini 4 pro has been declassified in December 2023 and I didn't apply for C1 reclassification. So, did DJI fix the LED issue only for reclassified Mini 4 pros and has forgotton to supply this fix also for C0 and declassified Mini 4 pros?

@DJI Paladin: Can you please check this?
4-24 05:39
Use props
Rkorell
lvl.2
Germany

GerdS Posted at 4-24 05:39
Today I got a new firmware version ...0500 and the problem is still the same, LEDs are still shut off during recording video.
However, I have heared rumors about Mini 4 pros which don't shut off their LEDs.
My Mini 4 pro has been declassified in December 2023 and I didn't apply for C1 reclassification. So, did DJI fix the LED issue only for reclassified Mini 4 pros and has forgotton to supply this fix also for C0 and declassified Mini 4 pros?

Dear Gerd,
It seems that you are right.
Forum user Swen reported that he have flashing ligths during night flight whilst recording.
I defintely know that he has C1 re-classified (several threads are showing this) an in one of these threads you can find the above statement.

Since yesterday I‘m proud owner of a (working!) C1 re-classified Mini 4 pro as well but I‘ve not checked this feature simply because I do not fly in darkness.

If necessary at least I could test it.
But believe me, I‘m pretty sure about Swen‘s statement.
(Edit: Just checked for Swen's posting: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=308130&pid=3289276 )-> some postings above this you can see an nice example picture from him - Hamburg Speicherstadt)

HTH

Warmest regards,
Ralf

4-24 08:41
Use props
GerdS
lvl.3
Germany

Rkorell Posted at 4-24 08:41
Dear Gerd,
It seems that you are right.
Forum user Swen reported that he have flashing ligths during night flight whilst recording.

It makes absolutely no sense limiting the LED behaviour modification to the C1 version only (althoguh there is the explicit requirement by law), but all Mini 4 Pros would benefit from it, regardless of being unclassified or C0 or C1. There is absolutely no disadvantage for both DJI and customers if they would apply the change to Mini 4 Pros in general.
4-25 02:50
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules