How to check if Avata is lost/stolen and how to unbound it if not?
733 12 2023-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi. I have recently bought an avata on ebay. It is bound to someones account. Seller claims it has been given to him for sale.. Is there a way to check if it has been lost or stolen? Can DJI reach out to the owner of this account please?
2023-11-5
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, there. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Could you please provide us with the serial number of the aircraft? The serial number (SN) of the DJI Avata aircraft can be found on the sticker inside the battery compartment. Thank you.
2023-11-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please tell us that you didn't buy and pay for an Avata sold on eBay that you know was bound to another account and the seller claims it was given to him by someone else?  Was it that cheap to take the risks?

As mentioned by DJI, they will/can try to reach out to the account holder.  If the account holder is dead, he'll never answer.  If the account holder lost his drone (but never reported it stolen), he's not going to unlock it for you.  If the account holder walked into a police station and reported it stolen, DJI in China is never going to know about this until he answers back and says that's my stolen drone.  Then what are you going to do?

There's a small chance the legitimate owner forgot to take care of the drone and you go thru the steps to get it unbounded.  But if none of the above, is it your expectation that DJI will go ahead and release the drone to you if no one "claims" it?
2023-11-5
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The Saint Posted at 11-5 18:00
Please tell us that you didn't buy and pay for an Avata sold on eBay that you know was bound to another account and the seller claims it was given to him by someone else?  Was it that cheap to take the risks?

As mentioned by DJI, they will/can try to reach out to the account holder.  If the account holder is dead, he'll never answer.  If the account holder lost his drone (but never reported it stolen), he's not going to unlock it for you.  If the account holder walked into a police station and reported it stolen, DJI in China is never going to know about this until he answers back and says that's my stolen drone.  Then what are you going to do?

It's not plain stupidity or uncommon.
I bought an Avata ("great condition" for a normal, not suspiciously low price) from a used stuff vendor online and it was still bound. I reached out to them and they contacted the former owner and he unbound it.
Otherwise I would've send it back.
It's a risk of course but with DJI's policy of binding everything to an account (even an Osmo!) it's hard to buy used. You'd have to go there in person or trust the seller that they've unbound it.
2023-11-5
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89751 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Please tell us that you didn't buy and pay for an Avata sold on eBay that you know was bound to another account and the seller claims it was given to him by someone else?  Was it that cheap to take the risks?

Not everyone knows you have to unbind it before selling....
Even though you can read this on the DJI website, most people don't know.

so this happens a lot on used DJI products.
2023-11-5
Use props
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Please tell us that you didn't buy and pay for an Avata sold on eBay that you know was bound to another account and the seller claims it was given to him by someone else?  Was it that cheap to take the risks?

Well, yes I have. Price was good and if it is not legal it is covered by ebay money guarantee and seller accepts refunds in any case. If it is not stolen but still cannot be unbound I'll just keep it for spares but if it is stolen or lost I really want original owner to have a chance of getting it back
2023-11-6
Use props
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 11-5 16:07
Hi, there. We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Could you please provide us with the serial number of the aircraft? The serial number (SN) of the DJI Avata aircraft can be found on the sticker inside the battery compartment. Thank you.

Hi Diana, thank You for quick reply
Heres a photo of the serial number from my phone. If You need better quality photo I ca provide it later on.
Screenshot_20231106-083148_eBay.jpg
2023-11-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ok good, well no wonder DJI doesn't have any incentive of fixing this issue...seems everyone thinks it's ok.  
2023-11-6
Use props
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 11-6 06:28
Ok good, well no wonder DJI doesn't have any incentive of fixing this issue...seems everyone thinks it's ok.

I think it would be better if You could bind equipment to your account and THEN if lost or stolen block it on dji. Or something similar. Maybe like it is now but with added timeout where after two or three months with no reply they'd unlock it as it would be clear that previous owner did not report it lost/stolen..
I fear that a lot of equipment will go to waste with current system. A bit like apple policy
2023-11-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Baatory Stefan Posted at 11-6 07:15
I think it would be better if You could bind equipment to your account and THEN if lost or stolen block it on dji. Or something similar. Maybe like it is now but with added timeout where after two or three months with no reply they'd unlock it as it would be clear that previous owner did not report it lost/stolen..
I fear that a lot of equipment will go to waste with current system. A bit like apple policy

Binding the drone and the controller have nothing to do with lost or stolen drones.

That's the problem.

Are you sure DJI can unlock your drone?  Who do you know that has posted saying DJI unlocked their drone?
2023-11-6
Use props
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 11-6 07:48
Binding the drone and the controller have nothing to do with lost or stolen drones.

That's the problem.

not sure but I'm giving it a go. Other than that I may return it or keep i as spares for the one Ive got
2023-11-6
Use props
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 11-6 07:48

That's the problem.

I'm rethinking  Your question... I'm sure DJI can unlock my drone. I'm just not sure they will
2023-11-6
Use props
Baatory Stefan
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Quick update for those who are interested:
Ive been directed from here by Dji Tony to DJI support.
I've forwarded whole conversation... and they ask me apparently without reading it if I bought it from dji or amazon... looks like copy/paste answer
Takes few days to get any answer from dji support so they're really dragging their heels
2023-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules