Stabilization Difference in different Resolutions?
541 11 2023-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mizzu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 431873 ft
Germany

I'm trying around so much at the moment to get a somewhat usable  video, when walking in the forest when it's raining, but no matter what,  the footage always looks ...ty, because of bad stabilization. I'm just using a backpack-strap for the OA4, so it's wobbling around a little. Can't hold this thing while walking, since I'm shooting photos with my real camera.

I'm starting to think about buying either an Osmo Mobile for the OA4 or straight sell the OA4 again and buy the Osmo Pocket 3.

Long story, short: I wondered if there is a difference in Rocksteady-Quality when shooting in 2.7k or 4k

• Is Rocksteady working better in 4k than in 2.7k?

I only shoot in 2.7k or even 1080p, since the file size in 4k just kills me.

• Same for shooting without Rocksteady and correcting it afterwards with Gyroflow. Can I achieve better stabilization when shooting in 4k, since I have ''more / finer pixel density to process in post editing''?

Any experience you guys made is welcome.

2023-11-7
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Sample footage?

"Can't hold this thing while walking, since I'm shooting photos with my real camera."
Don't you have to hold the Osmo Mobile and Pocket 3, too?
2023-11-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

4K allows more cropping to  a render of 1080P and and   max the  EIS out.   you may want to invest in a gimbal turn off EIS and get a better shot, be  the same if not better then the Pocket 3 with a clear background IMHO
2023-11-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

https://store.feiyu-tech.com/products/feiyutech-wg2x

this is a wearable gimbal, today they rreally are not needed the Action 4 does a great job
2023-11-7
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

osmonauta Posted at 11-7 08:22
Sample footage?

"Can't hold this thing while walking, since I'm shooting photos with my real camera."

Well I could Clip it just to my backpack as i Do with the OA4 and it would stabilize itself.since it's a gimbal.
2023-11-7
Use props
Mizzu
lvl.4
Germany

Fishycomics Posted at 11-7 08:50
https://store.feiyu-tech.com/products/feiyutech-wg2x

this is a wearable gimbal, today they rreally are not needed the Action 4 does a great job

Im really not happy with the Software stabilization it's fine in good lightning conditions and with enouhh shutter speed, no questioning here. But in mediocre lightning on a grey sky day it just sucks. Not worth the money sadly.
Maybe my needs / expectations are just higher.
2023-11-7
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Mizzu Posted at 11-7 12:15
Im really not happy with the Software stabilization it's fine in good lightning conditions and with enouhh shutter speed, no questioning here. But in mediocre lightning on a grey sky day it just sucks. Not worth the money sadly.
Maybe my needs / expectations are just higher.

we ask 2 much from an Action camera and the pcoket is not a DSLR either but maybe they'll one day improve which they have from a 1/2.3rd sensor to today that 1 inch    wait for the next generation to  come or or the one after   
2023-11-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

For EIS to work best you need to have shutterspeed faster than 1/200s. So if the forest is too dark, bump up the ISO like 100-1600 setting.
2023-11-7
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

YouTube has many videos where ppl are walking through dark places and the quality is really good. You might ask them what rig they use. Here's one of them walking through a dark foresty area in a crummy day. I'm sure it's not an action cam (I would be surprised).

2023-11-7
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

johansenfoto Posted at 11-7 13:34
For EIS to work best you need to have shutterspeed faster than 1/200s. So if the forest is too dark, bump up the ISO like 100-1600 setting.

You mean 1/120 and faster.
2023-11-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Anonymous1 Posted at 11-9 08:48
You mean 1/120 and faster.

If I'm not remember wrong, DJI say 1/200s for EIS to work best. But I have done myself some slow panning with slower and good result.
2023-11-9
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 11-7 14:29
YouTube has many videos where ppl are walking through dark places and the quality is really good. You might ask them what rig they use. Here's one of them walking through a dark foresty area in a crummy day. I'm sure it's not an action cam (I would be surprised).

That looks like a gimbal when he walks.

I find that it's best to not walk in low light but use the stabilisation just to keep the camera still. Then you can lower the iso and get stunning low light footage. The damage is done when you start moving the camera around.
2023-11-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules