Compass Error - What is the best response?
770 4 2015-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tdhines81
lvl.2
Flight distance : 988406 ft
United States

I had my first compass error in 97 flights today.  Error lasted about 30 seconds and then regained control.  I have read thru many discussions and would to like to know what the best response is?  I set RTL about the same time the copter recovered.  It was about 150' in height and about 200' away when the error occurred basically out in the wide open.  So, what is the best way to recover?  Thanks
2015-9-6
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

I had the same thing happen,  mine lasted only a few seconds the remote also announced that it was switching to atti mode it immediately switched back and  it has not done it since,  weird.
2015-9-6
Use props
frank320
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1440459 ft
Singapore

I experienced the same compass error. Seems to be inherent in the 8/4/2015 firmware update.
Never had that in over 100 flights on previous firmware. Basically no way to recover except to fly back via ATTI/map and wait for compass error to go away and GPS lock to come back.

I was able to replicate the compass error: Fly in ATTI mode at speed at an angle against the wind, which will result in some "roll". This causes the gimbal to "tilt", and as it gets worse over time, the inspire gimbal will be at some obtuse angle and will eventually throw the "compass error".

What is disconcerting was that in another situation, i was in full GPS mode, 17 sat lock, traveling at full forward speed when the gimbal gradually tilted to almost 30 degrees from horizontal and proceeded to throw the compass error... i had to fly back in ATTI mode with the gimbal tilted at over 30 degrees from horizontal.Flying the inspire trying to get it back home with the gimbal tilted sideways was nerve racking.

In all my cases of compass error, the gimbal was tilted. In most cases, the compass error went away after 5-10 seconds. In one case, it lasted over 4 mins and error only went away as i was about to land.
2015-9-6
Use props
mountmotor
lvl.4

United States

You MUST practice ATTI mode in the flight simulator! If there is a compass error during flight and you freak out because your aircraft drifts, you will be in big trouble. Make sure you know how to to fly in ATTI mode just in case!!!
2015-9-6
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

if this happens, i would recommend you to switch into ATTI mode, after a while go back to GPS mode
2015-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules