550 3 2023-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just want to give a warning to other pilots out here who use, or may use waypoints in the future. I've been using waypoints for a while now.. and mostly on my work drone, the Mavic 3T. Recently I decided to use a waypoints flight on my newer Mavic 3 Pro and it almost went horribly wrong, to the point that I no longer trust to use waypoints anymore.

Essentially the Mavic 3 grossly deviated from the programmed altitudes. I checked, double checked.. then triple checked that everything was correct in the waypoints flight, and it was. The flight was to climb from 164ft to around 380ft, then back down to 200ft over the course of 10 waypoints.

It started as programmed, at 164 ft.. but for some odd reason it climbed to 674ft, an airspace violation and safety issue. Since it started to descend slowly after that, I decided to let it continue, while monitoring. For whatever reason, it then decided to descend down to 72 ft, which resulted in a signal loss and narrowly missing some obstacles, extremely dangerous deviation from the 380ft it was designated to fly at this very point. Luckily it slowly climbed back up to 200ft and regained signal while it continued it's rogue waypont journey. Looking back at the flight, the proper thing to do would've been to immediately call off the flight once the first deviation occurred.

After the flight I reviewed the SRT data file and once again checked the waypoint flight. There is a huge discrepancy between the altitudes that I programmed and what it actually flew, which resulted in an airspace violation and several near misses with ground obstacles. I never had this issue with the 3T.. but I learned my lesson. The waypoint feature is not to be 100% trusted in my opinion.

2023-11-7
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18150351 ft
United States

The Bezier curve that DJI uses between waypoints also is used on altitude changes. But even then, it should not climb above the limit you set in the app.
2023-11-7
Use props
vyskocil
lvl.2
France

The last few days there were very high solar activity with a lot of northern lights at very low and unusual latitudes, this may disturb GPS !
2023-11-9
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Post the flight logs so people can investigate. It's important to share these to help people identify and correct potential software issues.
2023-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules