First test of Osmo Action 3
451 2 2023-11-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_vB7rsMeLSR1z
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29892 ft
United Kingdom

Bit of background - I've had an Osmo Action 1 for a copule of years and have used it a lot for making mountain biking videos. It's been a great little camera, but sometimes you just fancy something newer and shinier that promises the earth, so I got a GoPro 11.

I actually took it back to the shop within 24 hours and exchanged it for an Osmo Action 3 - best decision!

I used a gimbal whilst mountain biking with the OA1, and wanted to slim down my travelling kit, so something with the latest, greatest stabilisation with the biggest bestest sensor was the answer - or was it? I tried the GoPro 11, and didn't like a lot about it.

Firstly, it felt cheap. The build quality feels poor compared to the Osmo Action 1.

Secondly, I am used to having a handlebar mounted phone to check the recording view, if it needs a battery charge, how much storage I have left etc. You actually can't do that with a GoPro 11. You CAN set up the filming, but once you hit the record button it cuts the camera display to the phone. Want that function? Buy the newer model - apparently.

Thirdly, I like to use an external mic to cut out wind nose when riding by having it close to my mouth. I had the Cyanova adapter for OA1 and that worked fine. Want to add an exteral mic to GoPro? That's another £80 plus postage thank you very much. Want to add my Rode wireless go 2 to Osmo 3? Plug it in with a USB C cable.

So how good is the 5.3K and big sensor in GoPro? Honestly didn't see a difference between that and the Osmo 1 in real life.

So Osmo Action 3 road trip today. My wife went to a school reunion and I went cycling round Bath to give it a bit of a test. Low winter sun right in my face, and the HDR mode produced excellent results. This was with a chest mount, HDR mode. Stabilisation worked very well, and the audio with Rode Wireless 2 was faultless. No wind noise, and weirdly no bike noise either! Just voice and traffic.

I went along the canal tow path and old railway towards Bristol, then turned round to come back with a hanlbar mount. Stabilisation worked a treat even though I was weaving around to see what it would do! The handlebar mount was great, but I sort of like the handlebars in shot sometimes. Still, another magnetic mount and I'm all sorted.

Coming back through Bath I wanted to see what it would do on Royal Crescent. Beautiful architecture, cobbled street. No gimbal - just handlebar mount and digital stabilisation. It did brilliantly. The cobbles rattled the mount so the camera was sliding forwards, but the image was rock solid. When I was going fast over the cobbles you can see some minor jitter, but when I was riding slowly no jitter.

Now here's a thing. My old OA1 would keep running until the memory card was full, and if I ran it on external power it would do just that. Would OA3 overheat and die?? Nope. It ran for 1.5 hours until the battery died. One continuous shot. OK, I was riding a bkie and it is November, but if it had been hooked up to my charging brick it would have ran for the entire 1 hour 45 minutes I was riding.

I'm not a DJI fan-boi. I was quite happy to switch to another brand. However, based on my requirements of something I can monitor the video from whilst filming, something I can plug an external mic into without spending a fortune, something that produces good stable video then my new camera is something I'm really pleased with and totally reccomend.
2023-11-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

awesome to hear, why did you not up the game to the Action 4, that is hte better camera of them all.
2023-11-11
Use props
djiuser_vB7rsMeLSR1z
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29892 ft
United Kingdom

Simply because I'd paid for the Osmo Action 3 with discount vouchers from my employer that weren't transferrable, so I had to use it on the range they stocked. They didn't have a 4 in stock, but did have a 3. I'm still really happy with the choice.

I sold my Osmo Action 1 on Ebay last night. Chatting to the guy, he said his friend advised him NOT to get a GoPro because of the overheating problem, so he's happy with his choice too.
2023-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules