Filters for M4P?
451 6 2023-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

What, if any, filters do you use for M4P?  I read that simetimes due to fixed 1.7 aperature, it is a bit bright & color gets distorted or pics or vids don't show true colors as they should.
I'm seeing Freewell np filters but they seem pricey.  Are filters really worth it?
2023-11-13
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

In most cases the shutter speed will compensate for overexposure. But if like me, you find a super fast shutter a bit jarring when there is a lot of motion, usually when near the ground, then ND filters alow you to slow that shutter down for smoother motion.
But if you don't mind a fast shutter, you can probably get way without them, it's a case of suck it and see. There is nothing to stop you buying them later if you feel the need.
I only have the standard 3 piece DJI set, which so far has been enough for my needs, though I have thought about adding some polorising ones to my kit.
I've not used the Freewall ones, but hear good things about them here.
A lot of people keep asking "what filters do I need?" but it's impossilbe to answer properly without knowing the kind of work they intend to do. There are different filter for different jobs, no one size fits all answer.
2023-11-13
Use props
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

Sam654 Posted at 11-13 10:31
In most cases the shutter speed will compensate for overexposure. But if like me, you find a super fast shutter a bit jarring when there is a lot of motion, usually when near the ground, then ND filters alow you to slow that shutter down for smoother motion.
But if you don't mind a fast shutter, you can probably get way without them, it's a case of suck it and see. There is nothing to stop you buying them later if you feel the need.
I only have the standard 3 piece DJI set, which so far has been enough for my needs, though I have thought about adding some polorising ones to my kit.

I'll probably just get drone & see what happens.  Regarding questions of "what filters do I need, yeah that's purely subjective".
I wish they made magnified filters adding power to current zoom.  Maybe start with 2x or whatever is needed.  Not sure if I'm at 100 ft, how well I'll be able to see large game too well at 2x.
2023-11-13
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3

United Kingdom

djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga Posted at 11-13 11:05
I'll probably just get drone & see what happens.  Regarding questions of "what filters do I need, yeah that's purely subjective".
I wish they made magnified filters adding power to current zoom.  Maybe start with 2x or whatever is needed.  Not sure if I'm at 100 ft, how well I'll be able to see large game too well at 2x.

I just noticed you are the same person asking about zoom.
If you are shooting stills of game animals, you may be wanting a fast shutter anyway. Unless you specifically want a bit of motion blur to give the imression of movement. But I imagine you will want things pretty sharp.
2023-11-13
Use props
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

Sam654 Posted at 11-13 11:39
I just noticed you are the same person asking about zoom.
If you are shooting stills of game animals, you may be wanting a fast shutter anyway. Unless you specifically want a bit of motion blur to give the imression of movement. But I imagine you will want things pretty sharp.

I'd want it sharp but also as close as I'm able to get it ay 100 ft or more.  
I'm wanting to track deer & elk in the area & they're very skiddish, especially during hunting season.  I want to get them inbetween the seasons so I'm able to view without spooking them off & hear the m4p is pretty quiet at 100 ft+ high.

Don't think a fast shutter speed will bring viewing more than 2x times closer or for video closer.
2023-11-13
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The Minis are much quiter than the bigger drones, so you probably will get closer. On the flip side, the bigger more expensive (noisier) drones do have nice optical zoom lenses.
I guess you will have to experiment with how close you can physically get without disturbing them.
Shutter speed won't have any affect on your zoom. For your purpose I would probably try without any filters for the best sharp stills. On zoom you generally want more light, not less. Only if you are getting nasty glare would I look at filters for that use.
2023-11-13
Use props
djiuser_d3Bi7bZgYQga
lvl.3

United States

Sam654 Posted at 11-13 12:24
The Minis are much quiter than the bigger drones, so you probably will get closer. On the flip side, the bigger more expensive (noisier) drones do have nice optical zoom lenses.
I guess you will have to experiment with how close you can physically get without disturbing them.
Shutter speed won't have any affect on your zoom. For your purpose I would probably try without any filters for the best sharp stills. On zoom you generally want more light, not less. Only if you are getting nasty glare would I look at filters for that use.

Yeah, there's a hefty jump in price as well for the optical benefit with bigger drones.
2023-11-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules