Landing Gear Extensions
560 18 2023-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JAGI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 600 ft

Thailand

Having finally upgraded from my elderly Phantom 2 to a Mavic 3 Pro & RC2, I was very impressed with the latest technology. However, when attempting to take off first time from my grass lawn which was recently mown, the gimbal and props fouled on the grass so the drone shut down. No problem finding a hard launch pad at home but, if I land the drone remotely somewhere, it may not be able to relaunch if the spot is not smooth. I have now ordered some STARTRC leg extenders which will hopefully solve the problem.
2023-11-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, JAGI. Congrats on your new Mavic 3.  We don't recommend using any third-party accessories attached to the drone for they are not tested and we cannot guarantee flight safety. But I hope your workaround fixes the problem. Also if possible, make sure to place the aircraft on a flat and steady surface when taking off or landing. Have a great day ahead.
2023-11-17
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Hi jagi
You won't regret buying the leg extensions, I've been using them on my original Mavic Pro for 4 years, in fact I never fly without them. Enjoy.
2023-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In these situations its much better to hand launch and catch than add 3rd party accessories.  
2023-11-17
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-17 06:09
In these situations its much better to hand launch and catch than add 3rd party accessories.

why encourage dangerous practices?
2023-11-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

UKMoose Posted at 11-17 07:48

Well for me it just works and I use it every flight as I live on a boat.  
2023-11-17
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-17 09:56
Well for me it just works and I use it every flight as I live on a boat.

Hi Downtown,
I'm sure it works for you and many others but I still don't think it should be encouraged,
But it's everyone to there own?
Have a good one.
2023-11-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

UKMoose Posted at 11-17 10:31
Hi Downtown,
I'm sure it works for you and many others but I still don't think it should be encouraged,
But it's everyone to there own?

I would only encourage it when the conditions warrant it and it has been practiced previously.  .

You too have a great day.  
2023-11-17
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 11-17 10:34
I would only encourage it when the conditions warrant it and it has been practiced previously.  .

You too have a great day.

I totally agree, practice with someone who is proficient at it.
PS I've had my Mavic Pro for 5 years and never dared try it,
2023-11-17
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think they are a waste but I understand if you land in a remote spot (where you cannot reach) and you want to take off from there, then you may need the help.  never happens to me, i have never had to land against my will far far away but if you deliver stuff with your drone or you like to push the battery to the limits routinely, leg extensions might be helpful for you.
2023-11-17
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

I tried legs, once, on the Mavic 2 Pro. I found them to be of dubious value and didn't work in most of my situations. I work in the field so if I am close to my vehicle, I land on the roof, which I put a large reflective marker to aid the drone's visual system. When I am farther afield away from the vehicle, I tend to hand launch since the legs would need to be 14" tall to be of any value. I have tried various landing pads and so on, which just tent to sit on top of the vegetation and seem to blow away as soon as you look away. Then it is like some kind of comedy routine chasing it down. Yes I could use weights, but then it just makes my pack even heavier. Rocks as weights don't work, since the drone will always aim to hit them. So I have found hand launching to be just fine and no more unsafe than any "Zebra" crossing in UK. Then at times I am down in canyons looking at the rock walls and there is absolutely no place to launch from.

2023-11-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 11-17 07:48

Why do you think it's dangerous?  The new drones all have rubber tips on the props to meet the EU safety rules.  
2023-11-18
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-18 00:59
Why do you think it's dangerous?  The new drones all have rubber tips on the props to meet the EU safety rules.

I assume that is a rhetorical  question!
2023-11-18
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 11-18 03:05
I assume that is a rhetorical  question!

Not really.   the new EU rules on props changed them to a much softer material and added rubber tips.
2023-11-19
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-19 05:46
Not really.   the new EU rules on props changed them to a much softer material and added rubber tips.

I have heard about the softer blades, but I'm still on the original Mavic Pro and there will be probably 1000s of drones still happily flying with the original blades, the softer ones are obviously a step in the right direction but I would not want to be hit in the face or anywhere else to see if they don't cause harm to the recipient, but as said earlier, every one to there own, I'll stick to leg extensions.
2023-11-19
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 11-19 10:50
I have heard about the softer blades, but I'm still on the original Mavic Pro and there will be probably 1000s of drones still happily flying with the original blades, the softer ones are obviously a step in the right direction but I would not want to be hit in the face or anywhere else to see if they don't cause harm to the recipient, but as said earlier, every one to there own, I'll stick to leg extensions.

The problem with that is that any non OEM accessory removes the C label of the drone.   So you're now renegaded to A3 only.  
2023-11-20
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-20 01:17
The problem with that is that any non OEM accessory removes the C label of the drone.   So you're now renegaded to A3 only.

Not exactly, I'm a member of FPUK so I fly under artical 16 which serves all my flying needs plus my in laws and friends have several hundred acres of farm land so I'm luckier than most.
2023-11-20
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 11-20 10:44
Not exactly, I'm a member of FPUK so I fly under artical 16 which serves all my flying needs plus my in laws and friends have several hundred acres of farm land so I'm luckier than most.

My comment relates to flying in Eu countries.   Where the C label has a meaning.  Here it has no meaning as we are just weight related.    I also fly article 16 at times,  but the other limitations with that cause me issues sometimes.  
2023-11-20
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ah I see, well I won't be flying in Europe in fact I won't be going to Europe.

2023-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules