Could a Filter be Made?
928 23 2023-11-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I understand that this might not be a sales blazer, but it would lovely if a black mist filter could be made available for the Action 4. Like the Pocket 3 version. (Only in strength 1/8 not 1/4 preferably)
I have been experimenting with the Action 4 at 24fps and a nice slow shutter and I have to say, the footage can be breathtaking. The filter would give it a less digital appearance and then footage would blend in better with my bigger cameras.

Just a daft idea?
2023-11-17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sometimes dreams come true.
2023-11-17
Use props
djiuser_pcppRwobkfbK
lvl.3
United States

Would you buy aftermarket nd filters? Because dji makes some also telesin and freewell does too.
2023-11-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

We appreciate your suggestions. We will forward your feedback to the related department. Thank you for your great support.
2023-11-17
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_pcppRwobkfbK Posted at 11-17 16:17
Would you buy aftermarket nd filters? Because dji makes some also telesin and freewell does too.

It’s not an ND filter. It’s a black mist filter which softens the image. Makes it look less digital.
2023-11-18
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Tony Posted at 11-17 23:25
We appreciate your suggestions. We will forward your feedback to the related department. Thank you for your great support.

Thank you. It would be really useful for some and another first in action cam world.

In fact, I'd use a 1/8 and 1/4 if they were available!
2023-11-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-18 00:03
Thank you. It would be really useful for some and another first in action cam world.

In fact, I'd use a 1/8 and 1/4 if they were available!

I am glad to help. Please keep posted by visiting the DJI official website. Have a great day ahead.
2023-11-18
Use props
Anonymous1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 602303 ft

Jamaica

Iancraig10 Posted at 11-18 00:01
It’s not an ND filter. It’s a black mist filter which softens the image. Makes it look less digital.

How different would it be in comparison to setting the sharpness to "-2" in the action 4 itself?
2023-11-22
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Anonymous1 Posted at 11-22 16:33
How different would it be in comparison to setting the sharpness to "-2" in the action 4 itself?

Funny you ask that ….. I played around with Gaussian blur after someone here suggested doing it in post.

It doesn’t look the same to me and by just lowering the sharpness, you have less definition on edges and no ‘smearing’ on highlights.

I think a lot is also to do with the quality and strength of the filter. They don’t lower sharpness but move contrast range and deal differently with edges that go into bright/dark areas.

If I leave a 1/8 filter on my lens and go out shooting in normal daylight, very often it’s difficult to detect any filter. You’d have to look at specific areas and contrast ranges to see it. Much more subtle that this DJI one.

I guess one way to describe them is, slightly lowering high contrast areas, smoothing out transition between dark and white areas with a softening effect but not particularly hitting general sharpness.
2023-11-22
Use props
fans0c9f1e66
lvl.1

Netherlands

Iancraig10 Posted at 2023-11-22 23:38
Funny you ask that ….. I played around with Gaussian blur after someone here suggested doing it in post.

It doesn’t look the same to me and by just lowering the sharpness, you have less definition on edges and no ‘smearing’ on highlights.

You mean like this? It's a simple 43mm printer adapter that fits the lens snug. Just get any 43mm pro/blackmist from anywhere, screw it on, press-fit, done.
2-22 06:52
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, that would work. There is one like that for the Ace Pro that pushes on and has a screw thread on the front. With the Action 4, it would be nice to take its lens cover off and just screw a filter on in its place. Can’t do that with the Ace.
2-22 08:37
Use props
fans0c9f1e66
lvl.1

Netherlands

Iancraig10 Posted at 2-22 08:37
Yes, that would work. There is one like that for the Ace Pro that pushes on and has a screw thread on the front. With the Action 4, it would be nice to take its lens cover off and just screw a filter on in its place. Can’t do that with the Ace.

could realistically be made with a good - 0.02mm - petg print i think including the thread to screw. Ill give it a try.
2-22 09:21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Really? The printer could get in there and make a copy of the screw thread? That would be fantastic. The push on types can lose their ‘holding’ power and mark the camera. The other thing is that filters could be knocked off the lens. The printed cover that you have made looks really good.

With my GoPros, I use a Ulanzi case, I can use any of my filters as a result, but it is surprising that DJI didn’t produce a dedicated mist filter when they released the Pocket 3 filter.
2-23 03:08
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had a play around with the Ace Pro with a filter holder and diffusion on the front today, and it really looks lovely with the hard ‘action cam’ edge taken down. No one makes an adapter for the Action 4 and it makes so much more sense than the Ace one because it could be screwed on to the Action. The Ace adapters are just push fit and so are prone to get knocked off or even drop off. An Action version would stay there if only someone made one.

Maybe there’s no demand for external filters other than nd? Is there any company that makes one?
3-10 08:42
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

If you have a buddy that can cut the filter to fit into the front lens cover and glue it on place, that could work
3-10 08:45
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a flat backed thread somewhere. Maybe I’ll look to see if it would fit over the lens.
3-10 14:16
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

1/4 black mist filter 55mm
you can use any Minimum 42mm

IMG_20240322_162002.jpg
3-22 07:16
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What is that filter converter lutzmix? I have a similar type for the Ace Pro, but I had to have it sent from China!
3-22 07:39
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

3d printed adapter ring OA3 to 40,5 mm
and astepup filter ring 40,5- xx mm
the outer diameter from the OA4 is 0,1mm smaller
fix itwith a paper sheet
the red ring is for action 1
black OA3 & OA4
IMG_20240130_142111.jpg
IMG_20240322_171720.jpg
IMG_20240322_171806.jpg
3-22 08:21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah…. Ok. It’s really something that DJI could make and sell. Or actually put out a filter that screws on. I love the ND filters that fix on properly so no chance of losing them. One thing where the Action is WAY easier to use is when you want to use ND filters because it gives a readout of the exposure. The Ace Pro doesn’t, so getting the exposure right is a little bit trickier on the Ace by comparison. At least my ND’s screw onto the Action so no chance of losing them.
3-22 08:27
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

no mist filter with screw for OA4 aviable
and all cameras has another screw diameter
you need screw filter for the diving case
3-22 08:51
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It’s a shame that Ulanzi don’t make a cage for the action 4 like the ones that they make for GoPro. Then there’s a filter thread on the front plus cold shoes.

I had a play around this morning with the Ace Pro using a Smoque filter and diopters to get a better focus close up. The effect is really dramatic and it no longer looks like action cam footage. Much more film like.

With diopters, the background goes out of focus and with more than one, I can focus really close up on things. Easily seen on the screen of the Ace Pro because it zooms in so you can actually judge the focus really accurately.

The footage from these mini cameras has the potential to look fantastic with the real ease of use that they have designed into them. I love the fact that we can get such a nice result with so little effort and the amazing portability that action cams offer.

With bigger sensors in these cameras, it does make sense to allow some degree of focus adjustment, even if it’s just close and distance and clicks into place.
3-28 06:56
Use props
insert.coin
lvl.2
Ireland

Here is a DIY hack to use any filter by 628 CREATES.

With this method, it just means it's not that great for action cam activities. But it means you don't need custom printed parts and just off the shelf items from amazon.

I have been taking the video above as inspiration and instead of cutting out a cheap silicone lens cap, I'm using certain sized rubber bands and a 38mm to 52mm (that is the size of most of my filters) step up ring and it fits quite snug.
3-29 07:21
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you. Looks like a nice solution.
3-29 07:27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules