3-Ch Follow Focus not working
436 3 2023-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Philamedia
lvl.1
United States

I'm having trouble getting the Three-Channel Follow Focus to work. I have the most recent firmware on the High-Bright monitor, and all other accessories.

My setup is as follows:
Sony Fx6 with DJI Lidar / Cable Hub
DJI Focus Motor (2022)
DJI Transmitter
DJI High-Bright Monitor (in Control mode) with Three-Channel FF

Everything is powered on, the image is transmitting fine, the high-bright monitor recognizes the Three-Channel FF (green light on the FF, and the instructional pop-up shows on screen when connected), and the focus motor is calibrated on the lens. If I toggle on autofocus (I can do it via the monitor or via the rear button of the FF) the autofocus works fine.  But when I switch to manual and I spin the focus dial on the FF, nothing happens. Nothing happens with the iris slider or the zoom rocker either.

I've tried this on two different high-bright monitors, with the same results. However, when using the Ronin 4D handles with the monitors, I have no problems controlling the focus motor.

Any thoughts?

2023-11-24
Use props
signalaudio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Yeah it doesn't work. The 3ch Follow Focus only works with the 4D / Inspire 3. They actually communicate differently as the 3ch FF sends absolute data (for Focus and Iris), whereas the RH grip just sends direction and speed (relative) data.
2023-11-24
Use props
signalaudio
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

signalaudio Posted at 11-24 18:21
Yeah it doesn't work. The 3ch Follow Focus only works with the 4D / Inspire 3. They actually communicate differently as the 3ch FF sends absolute data (for Focus and Iris), whereas the RH grip just sends direction and speed (relative) data.

Crazy thing is, the DJI R SDK gives you absolute positional control with that motor on the RS3. So they could definitely enable it in firmware, they've just chosen not to.. presumably to drive people towards their more expensive offerings like the 4D.
2023-11-24
Use props
Philamedia
lvl.1
United States

signalaudio Posted at 11-24 18:24
Crazy thing is, the DJI R SDK gives you absolute positional control with that motor on the RS3. So they could definitely enable it in firmware, they've just chosen not to.. presumably to drive people towards their more expensive offerings like the 4D.

And given the fact that they enabled use of all the RS peripherals on other rigs by means of the Cable Hub, you'd think they could make a similar patch here.

Dang. I even asked questions from customer service just to make sure things worked together, but I guess I must've misunderstood. It's kinda nuts that even though the rest of the ecosystem works outside the 4D (including the handles!) that this one component doesn't.

Feels like a missed opportunity, especially since it feels like this was supposed to replace the original DJI Focus. Guess it's getting sent back!
2023-11-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules