How can DJI call a drone "Pro" if it doesn't have an SDK?
12Next >
2337 41 2023-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
G Kochanowsky
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1960591 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think DJI should call any drone it makes "Pro" without also giving it an SDK. Also, it seems to me that a "Cine" drone should also get an SDK given that an "Enterprise" drone gets an SDK. Are movie productions somehow less of a business because they make movies instead of buildings or power lines? This is not really a question for engineers, but more for DJI marketing and business people, since all of these terms are not really engineering terms.
2023-11-24
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The current consumer-grade DJI Mavic 3 series does not support the SDK.
2023-11-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think you are right except you are still a few years too late.  Pro is no longer a marketing/business term just as it has long since not been an engineering term.  We have moved on....to something else.
2023-11-24
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The entire Mavic 3 release was a mess though.   Not just the SDK.
2023-11-25
Use props
G Kochanowsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DAFlys Posted at 11-25 01:49
The entire Mavic 3 release was a mess though.   Not just the SDK.

Yes it was, I can attest to that. But to DJI's credit, they eventually made good on the drone and other than the SDK made me a satisfied customer. I've also got to give them credit for figuring out how to make a drone that was, IMO, better than the previous generation. Even though at a considerable increase in price.
2023-11-25
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Flight distance : 682438 ft
Spain

DJI has confirmed that just the Mini and Enterprise series are going to recieve the SDK in the future. Don't keep any hope for the Air or Mavic series.
2023-11-25
Use props
G Kochanowsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Fozando Posted at 11-25 05:41
DJI has confirmed that just the Mini and Enterprise series are going to recieve the SDK in the future. Don't keep any hope for the Air or Mavic series.

The thing I don't understand is why DJI doesn't allow you to buy SDK functionality as an aftermarket add-on. If it were an extra $100, I'd get it in a heartbeat.
2023-11-25
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do not think we will be able to shame them into supporting the SDK.  : )
2023-11-25
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 11-24 22:12
Hello, there. Sorry for the inconvenience. The current consumer-grade DJI Mavic 3 series does not support the SDK.

If it's "consumer-grade" then why does it have the word "Pro" attached to the name? That is a contradiction if I've ever seen one.
2023-11-25
Use props
G Kochanowsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 11-25 15:45
If it's "consumer-grade" then why does it have the word "Pro" attached to the name? That is a contradiction if I've ever seen one.

Yes, and if that were not odd enough, it's called Cine. Cinema cameras are enterprise tools. The enterprise happens to be movie production, but apparently DJI does not consider that to be enterprise enough to warrant an SDK.
2023-11-25
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Statement from DJI

We apologize for any inconvenience caused. We regret to inform you that in the future, the majority of consumer drones will no longer be compatible with the Software Development Kit (SDK). As a result, it is highly unlikely that the Mini 2SE will support the SDK. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
2023-11-26
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

Just keep the hope for a DJI Fly upgrade introducing new features.

DJI has decided time ago that the best for its interest is split to the extreme all its products making 753872537825312785321 versions of the same aircraft instead giving us a good product that can be used for different purposes. As you can also perfectly see, the latest versions of Mini and Air lines doesn't worth the upgrade from the previous ones.

Regards.
2023-11-26
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

Then don't call it a Mavic 3 Pro. Call it a Mavic 3 Consumer edition.
2023-11-26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

digibud Posted at 11-26 05:57

If you can get everyone in the industry to sign up for that then let's do it.  But DJI cannot step down to that level when no one else is doing it.  Calling your drone a Mavic 3 Consumer edition takes a $500 bite out of your product's value.  DJI didn't start this trend, they're just jumping on the bandwagon and evolving just like everyone else.  It's happening everywhere, as the gap between the professional and the consumer grade closes....and let's be honest, my consumer grade drone today is 10 times better than the professional grade equivalent from 10 years ago.  You and I aren't involved in the mix any longer, there's a new generation of folks leading the charge and unfortunately we all may have to just live with the changes; maybe come up with something new.  Same happened with cars, for example adding XL to the model name.  Look at Apple phones.
2023-11-26
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

Marketing. Using impressive sounding adjectives it stock in trade. Look at cars: Sports, GTO, Super, Hyper. I suppose they will need to create new or dredge up old ones. Like the McClaren Stupendous Car. BTW, I am a professional iPhone user. I put it on my reumé. Seeing I have a Pro iPhone 14. I had to get a license and pass a test to use it, still looking for a spot to put the FCC (Federal Clown Commission) identification on it. For years we got little badges for the rear of our car that told everybody behind use how many valves we had in the motor and what kind of ignition and so on and so forth. Just made it a PIA to wax around them. I know those badges caused women to swoon  when I rolled up.Lord knows what would have happened if the world didn't know what trim level I had on the inside. I may have been forced to move far, far out in the country so I wouldn't hear the laughter.
2023-11-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it's "consumer-grade" then why does it have the word "Pro" attached to the name? That is a contradiction if I've ever seen one.

A marketing plo to make you thinmk you are getting something special.
Would people have been so keen to buy it if it had been called the "Mavic 3 version 1  or Mk1 ?
2023-11-26
Use props
G Kochanowsky
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Indeed, if they gotta do a consumer version then so be it, but they should at least have an "Enterprise" version for their premium consumer drones. And in the case of the Mavic 3 pro, they do not. If they did, that is what I would have bought. But instead their marketing scheme has left holes in their product lineup.
2023-11-26
Use props
Milleker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280495 ft
  • >>>
United States

The DJI reply that the Mavic 3 "PRO" will not have an SDK, when the Mavic Air 2S (read: NOT PRO) did is appalling and deceitful.

This is unacceptable.
2023-11-26
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

If we actually pay attention, it seems that anything with the word Pro in it, from DJI, does turn to sh1te very quickly...

Mavic Pro = Gone

Mavic 3 Pro = No SDK

Mini 3 Pro = Nearly Gone

Mini 4 Pro = Needs a new radio

RC Pro = No longer compatible with new drones...

I'm sure it has a different meaning to them...

2023-11-26
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

Milleker Posted at 11-26 18:27
The DJI reply that the Mavic 3 "PRO" will not have an SDK, when the Mavic Air 2S (read: NOT PRO) did is appalling and deceitful.

This is unacceptable.

DJI is going to answer you that the position of not releasing the SDK for consumer drones doesn't matter.

Unfortunatelly, It earns millions enough selling their products to people that doesn't know a ... about the benefits of the SDK.
2023-11-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

We are sorry that the Mavic 3 series has Consumer series and Enterprise series. Naming of the drone does not change their product grade. For the SDK function, it is another question.
Currently, the current consumer-grade DJI Mavic 3 series does not support the SDK.
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Sorry for the late response. Mavic 3 series has Consumer series and Enterprise series. Naming of the drone does not change their product grade.
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Milleker Posted at 11-26 18:27

This is unacceptable.

We are sorry for the inconvenience. The current consumer-grade DJI Mavic 3 series does not support the SDK. We will forward your request to our engineers for evaluation.
2023-12-1
Use props
Fozando
lvl.4
Spain

DJI Wanda Posted at 12-1 01:09
We are sorry for the inconvenience. The current Mavic 3 series does not support SDK. We will forward your request to our engineers for evaluation.

DJI Wanda, PLEASE, Stop repeating the same comment over and over.

Our hate for the admins of the forum is increasing day after day with that kind of copy paste answers.
2023-12-1
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 12-1 01:07
Sorry for the late response. Mavic 3 series has Consumer series and Enterprise series. Naming of the drone does not change their product grade.

So let me get this straight with your naming scheme. You've got..
Mavic 3 Classic - Not to be confused with the classic Mavic because they all had an SDK.

Mavic 3 Pro - Not as in Professional though because as you just said, this is in the consumer grade series.

Mavic 3 Pro Cine - Marketed towards professinal film productions but in the Consumer-Grade series. How many average consumers know what Apple ProRes 422 LT even is?

Mini 3/Mini 3 Pro - Entry level drone with an SDK to match.

Do you see how much sense this doesn't make? You have training wheels on your flagships but not on your entry level products.

Look at your previous comments. Since you only speak in copy/paste format you'd think it'd be simple to keep your story straight. First you say: Mavic 3 series does not support SDK. Then on the very next comment you say: Mavic 3 series has Consumer series and Enterprise series. Enterprise series has an SDK. It also falls in the Mavic 3 series family. So the Mavic 3 series does technically support an SDK but only on the Enterprise named models. However, the name on the drone does not change their product grade we are now being told.

2023-12-1
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5009016 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's just to make people "feel" like they are using professional drones. They still don't understand that their skills are what makes them professionals. Not the name of drone, but that wouldn't be a good marketing strategy.
2023-12-1
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

BetterBizTech Posted at 12-1 17:28
It's just to make people "feel" like they are using professional drones. They still don't understand that their skills are what makes them professionals. Not the name of drone, but that wouldn't be a good marketing strategy.

I understand the marketing driving the names. What I don't understand is their decision making. Because you know what else would be a good marketing strategy? Listening to your customers. Keeping the promises you made to your customers. Having customer support admins who have actually used the products that they're supporting. These agents have insider information and developers just a Teams message away. Yet you rarely see a reply that wasn't recycled from the past.
2023-12-1
Use props
BetterBizTech
First Officer
Flight distance : 5009016 ft
  • >>>
United States

Johnnokomis Posted at 12-1 18:37
I understand the marketing driving the names. What I don't understand is their decision making. Because you know what else would be a good marketing strategy? Listening to your customers. Keeping the promises you made to your customers. Having customer support admins who have actually used the products that they're supporting. These agents have insider information and developers just a Teams message away. Yet you rarely see a reply that wasn't recycled from the past.

Totally agreed, but there is no competition to make them listen to the customers. Most of the lemmings here just buy a second or third drone in response to getting a drone that doesn't completely do the job. The only thing that fixes that isa competitor that listens. Instead most of them have decided not to compete in the consumer drone business. We are all screaming for SDK, a drone thatcan work in video and commercial space. Instead we get less than we ask for when technology can easily handle what we ask for. As long as the average consumer responds by buying and additional drone when they remove a needed feature we'll get more of the same.
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Johnnokomis Posted at 12-1 17:14
So let me get this straight with your naming scheme. You've got..
Mavic 3 Classic - Not to be confused with the classic Mavic because they all had an SDK.

You can check the clarification or grading on the DJI Store or DJI's official website. The Mavic 3 consumer series and Mavic 3 Enterprise series are in different sections. As we explained above, SDK is another question. The current DJI Mavic 3 consumer series does not support SDK.
Thank you for your reminder, we will add the consumer series for accuracy.
2023-12-3
Use props
hurstja
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43602 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Stlll waiting, G.
2023-12-6
Use props
hurstja
Second Officer
Flight distance : 43602 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Why would DJI abandon iOS/iPadOS?
2023-12-8
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

hurstja Posted at 12-8 14:32

If I had to guess, I would say for two reasons.

1) Money

2) Android is still Open Source
2023-12-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hurstja Posted at 12-8 14:32

Why would you suggest that they would?
There's not a shred of evidence to suggest that DJI have or will abandon Apple users.
2023-12-8
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

I would not want to trust flying my 3k plus cost drone,to somone elses software.Older DJI models that have gotten an SDK for them then fine.As there valuse is much lower,bu
2023-12-9
Use props
Freetime
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3395469 ft
United States

They are called pro because of the camera features and other qualities.Sure an SDK for older DJI models that have a lower resale value.
2023-12-9
Use props
Phil Light
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68747 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-11-24 22:12

It's not an "inconvenience." It's the financial injury resulting from being lied to by DJI.
3-23 20:50
Use props
Phil Light
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68747 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-12-1 01:09
We are sorry for the inconvenience. The current consumer-grade DJI Mavic 3 series does not support the SDK. We will forward your request to our engineers for evaluation.

Please stop calling, being lied to, and being cheated, an "inconvenience." It's an injury. You should be replying, "Yes, we promised we'd release an SDK for the Mavic 3, and then we changed our minds after we got our grubby hands on your money. Although you may feel cheated, we just don't care."
3-23 20:55
Use props
djiuser_zpOyKdcw0eZc
New
United States

Agree. We just got a M3P with the express purpose of Mapping.  However, given that the M2E and SmartController STILL do not have access to SDK and DroneDeploy, I'm not sure I should hold my breath
3-27 08:02
Use props
Twelvizm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8426683 ft
  • >>>
United States

This!  I need to fly waypoints, and the DJI Fly waypoints are terrible!  You can't even fly straight lines from point to point because it creates bezier curves from all the points.  It's a nightmare to work with.
3-27 08:56
Use props
Twelvizm
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8426683 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2023-12-3 04:21
You can check the clarification or grading on the DJI Store or DJI's official website. The Mavic 3 consumer series and Mavic 3 Enterprise series are in different sections. As we explained above, SDK is another question. The current DJI Mavic 3 consumer series does not support SDK.
Thank you for your reminder, we will add the consumer series for accuracy.

We know that it's not supported.  And that's not because of a physical/hardware limitation, it's a programming choice made by DJI.  And in case you missed it, that's the point of this thread.  We want DJI to release the SDK.
3-27 08:59
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules