NOT SOLVED! Remote control Osmo Pocket/Pocket 2 with an USB-C cable
1070 16 2023-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I have been thinking about getting an USB-C male to USB-C male cable (I guess a USB-C female to USB-C male could also work when used with the Pocket 2's own smartphone adapter), so I could connect the Pocket 2 to a smartphone or a tablet physically while still allowing for some space between the two. I have just been thinking what kind of cable would work best. Obviously, just a plain charging cable is not enough, as using the phone or the tablet for remotely operating the Pocket 2 and for video monitoring would require the ability to transfer data between the two devices. But are there limitations on the length of the cable? Is a three-meter (about 9.84 feet) cable too long? Would I need a cable that supports alt-mode and transferring video? Or is any regular data and power cable okay for this? Do you have any recommendations on specs/brands/cables in general that would be suitable for this purpose? I do know it works with some cables, as me and my friend recently tested it with his USB-C cable, but it was quite a short one and I don't know the exact specs of it (I do know it is the one that comes included with the Rode AI-Micro audio interface, if that is of any help).

Thanks in advance for all of your replies and recommendations!

EDIT: Solution found. Any standard USB-C male to USB-C male cable works, it just needs a specific order of doing things to make it work, and possibly changing some settings. What helped me through was this video (it is for the original Osmo Pocket, but works with Pocket 2 as well!):

To sum it up shortly, do the steps in exactly this order:
1. Remove any dataport accessories that have metallic connector pins (joystick, scrollwheel, smartphone adapters, extension rod) from the upper dataport.
2. Turn on the camera and the phone/tablet, start up DJI Mimo on the phone/tablet.
3. Connect the USB-C cable to the lower USB-C port of the camera, then to the phone/tablet
4. If you see a computer connection prompt on the camera's display, turn off the camera, unplug the phone from the cable, then try again from step 1.

ADDITIONAL TIP: If you see the Mimo preview but it has graphical glitches, make sure the camera's quality setting is on Battery Saver and not High Quality. I'm not sure if this is caused by the length of my cable (mine is three meters, or 9,84 feet), or is the bandwidth required by the HQ mode too much for the camera, but changing the mode should resolve the graphical glitches.

Happy filming for everybody, I hope this helps you achieve all-new ways of filming with the Osmo Pocket/Pocket 2!

NEW EDIT: It seems to be a hit-and-miss affair. After attempting to use it again, it does seem to alter between not being recognized, to attempting the file transfer mode, to the preview showing up but being glitchy. Not sure what makes it switch between those states. Will try it later with a smartphone and see if that has an effect on it. IF it works with my phone, it could be that there is something wrong with my tablet's USB-C connector

2023-11-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have a 30cm USB-c to USB-c (male to male)  data/charging cable which allows connection to my Samsung smartphone. Data transfer both ways (image transfer) works, but DJI Mimo cannot find the Pocket 2 via this cable.  Hope that info is of some use to you. As for longer cables - I could'nt say.
2023-11-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 11-28 12:54
I have a 30cm USB-c to USB-c (male to male)  data/charging cable which allows connection to my Samsung smartphone. Data transfer both ways (image transfer) works, but DJI Mimo cannot find the Pocket 2 via this cable.  Hope that info is of some use to you. As for longer cables - I could'nt say.

Thank you for this bit of information. By saying that the Mimo app can't find the Pocket 2 using the cable, you mean that connecting the Pocket 2 to the phone using the cable doesn't immediately start the Mimo app on the phone?

If so, it could be that the cable I tested could support some special modes and functions that yours doesn't for some reason. The cable I mentioned caused the Mimo app to start immediately on the tablet when I connected the cable from the Pocket 2 to the tablet. (I used the USB-C female port in the Ulanzi OP-2 adapter that was connected to the female USB-C port of the Pocket 2). This needs further investigation.

If somebody happens to have a cable that they have found out to work, I would be very interested in hearing about the brand/properties of the cable.

Also, if somebody happens to know the specifics of the Pocket smartphone adapter itself, that could also help.

Anyhow, thanks for this tidbit!
2023-11-28
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 11-28 16:04
Thank you for this bit of information. By saying that the Mimo app can't find the Pocket 2 using the cable, you mean that connecting the Pocket 2 to the phone using the cable doesn't immediately start the Mimo app on the phone?

If so, it could be that the cable I tested could support some special modes and functions that yours doesn't for some reason. The cable I mentioned caused the Mimo app to start immediately on the tablet when I connected the cable from the Pocket 2 to the tablet. (I used the USB-C female port in the Ulanzi OP-2 adapter that was connected to the female USB-C port of the Pocket 2). This needs further investigation.

No worries, Hannu. Yes, that the case. Connecting the Pocket2 to the smartphone with this cable doesn't launch the Mimo App. And when I start Mimo manually the Pocket2 still can't be found.  Maybe there's a setting to switch between Bluetooth and cable connection - I haven't investigated that.
2023-11-28
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 11-28 22:40
No worries, Hannu. Yes, that the case. Connecting the Pocket2 to the smartphone with this cable doesn't launch the Mimo App. And when I start Mimo manually the Pocket2 still can't be found.  Maybe there's a setting to switch between Bluetooth and cable connection - I haven't investigated that.

Thanks for the clarification.

I have no idea where such a setting could be found, I doubt there isn't one. At least, I never had to find one to switch mode for this purpose. But I'll do some investigating with the cables.
2023-11-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 11-29 08:19
Thanks for the clarification.

I have no idea where such a setting could be found, I doubt there isn't one. At least, I never had to find one to switch mode for this purpose. But I'll do some investigating with the cables.

By chance, I spotted this "totem" during my walk this morning.
I haven't seen any for a while.

2023-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 11-29 08:27
By chance, I spotted this "totem" during my walk this morning.
I haven't seen any for a while.

Just when you thought they were gone... they strike again

Well-spotted, nice to see one for a change. It always makes me fascinated about the skill it takes to create these.
2023-11-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 11-29 08:31
Just when you thought they were gone... they strike again

Well-spotted, nice to see one for a change. It always makes me fascinated about the skill it takes to create these.

I had to make do with a frame grab from the Action2  ( Didn't have the Pocket2 with me)
2023-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 11-29 09:19
I had to make do with a frame grab from the Action2  ( Didn't have the Pocket2 with me)

Doesn't matter, seemed to do the job just fine as well in this case :-)

What wouldn't have made the cut can be found here: https://petapixel.com/2022/10/13 ... camera-of-all-time/
2023-11-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 11-29 09:23
Doesn't matter, seemed to do the job just fine as well in this case :-)

What wouldn't have made the cut can be found here: https://petapixel.com/2022/10/13/this-photo-was-taken-with-the-worst-digital-camera-of-all-time/

Indeed not.  Was there a point to his experiment?
2023-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 11-29 09:33
Indeed not.  Was there a point to his experiment?

My guess is that it was one of those situations where he wanted to try if he can do it, just for fun.
2023-11-29
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HGDC84 Posted at 11-29 09:36
My guess is that it was one of those situations where he wanted to try if he can do it, just for fun.

Well it might have led to something, I suppose
2023-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Blériot53 Posted at 11-29 09:43
Well it might have led to something, I suppose

If nothing else, then at least we get a small glimpse on how do these things work, and he got publicity in a relatively positive way
2023-11-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Decided to take a shot and ordered a 3-meter USB-C male to USB-C male cable, seems to be version 3.2 gen 1. But alas, didn't work. Not sure if I would need a newer gen of USB-C or if DJI's USB-C pinout is something entirely proprietary that just happens to work with some other cables. My friend will come around tomorrow, he brings a couple of cables I will test. Will report more about it if some of those happens to work or if I find out what is the exact property that makes it work. In the meanwhile, I'd love to hear if somebody else has a cable that works flawlessly for remote-controlling the Pocket 2.

EDIT: Got this cable working, see edited OP for further details.

EDIT: Sometimes it works, the others it doesn't. See the original post for more information.

2023-12-7
Use props
djiuser_VmihpNUfxVT3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 60935 ft
United States

Getting in late on this, but have you tried an OTG cable instead of plain usb-c cable. Sometimes a phone needs that to "read" some of the devices.
2023-12-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

djiuser_VmihpNUfxVT3 Posted at 12-29 16:47
Getting in late on this, but have you tried an OTG cable instead of plain usb-c cable. Sometimes a phone needs that to "read" some of the devices.

No need to worry about being "late" - I certainly still haven't solved this, so any input is still more than welcome! So thank you for your time in giving the suggestion!

I didn't know there were separate OTG cables, I'll have to see if I can find one of those to test it out. I do suspect though it might not be about it, as occasionally, I have managed to get it to work with the same cable that sometimes gives the "Connect to computer?" prompt instead. Not sure really what is the key difference in the resulting change.
2023-12-29
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I think it's in my tablet. With the phone, it works just fine. I think it may try to connect in wrong USB mode, as it offers that first. But I think I will do with the phone.
2-25 14:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules