Firmware Needed to Support 60 fps on ProRes 422 HQ
593 2 2023-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

It's so musch faster to edit with ProRes 422 HQ than it is with ProRes Raw footage on the I3 but DJI is unnecessarily restricting ProRes 422 HQ to 30 fps or lower.  Is this due to greed?  Are they trying to force us to buy the prores raw license so we can shoot 8.1k at 60 and 75 frames per second?  This reminds me of when the mavic 3 was restricted to only 30 fps at 5.1k until a firmware released many months after the fact allowing us to shoot 5.1k at 50 fps.

DJI, we need higher frame rates like 60 fps for 8k ProRes Raw 422 HQ, not just for Pro Res Raw.  
2023-11-28
Use props
Coyut
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Its a onetime fee not a annual one.

There were times on the I2 when you could only shoot h264 without the raw license.
I was very surprised that they actually offered some ProRes422 right from the start. Thats good enough for many.
And for the others there's the raw license option, which was a no brainer for us to get right away and was planned into our budget.

Don't forget, Apple and Red want licening money to use their codecs and technics.

I don't even use ProRes raw because I prefer cndg way over it. Cdng is actually free to use. But implementing also needs manpower that needs to be paid.
Braw would be even be the better option than ProRes raw as more people are using it professionally.

I did not have a single production asking for ProRes raw in the past few years. They always choosed the cndg route.
But maybe it was part of the deal with apple to get some profits if they include ProRes raw.

2023-12-3
Use props
Josephsmith
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Coyut Posted at 12-3 23:57
Its a onetime fee not a annual one.

There were times on the I2 when you could only shoot h264 without the raw license.

Yes and from my experience, The only benefit that ProRes Raw from the I3 serves is 8.1k 60 and 75 fps.  In my opinion, the normal color profile that Pro Res 422 HQ gives looks more vibrant and alive than ProRes Raw.

Many of the reviews for the I3 you see on YouTube were in fact shot with ProRes 422 HQ and it's for good reason.

Now what I'm asking DJI and I'm sure many other I3 owners request is for a firmware update to unlock 60 fps for ProRes 422 HQ to allow for smoother footage and less jittery panning and blurry rolling shutter shots that we experience when shooting with 30 fps or lower
2023-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules