RTH using Mini 3 pro and RC pro on a moving boat.
611 10 2023-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13960430 ft
Sweden

I have searched the forum and red the manual, but am unable to find the best way use the RTH on the RC pro on a moving boat in order to make the drone come to you and the RC Pro where ever you are.

I will be filming an island from a Dhoni (wooden boat) i Maldives, as I am not allowed to use a drone on the island.

Correct me if I am wrong for this.

I am allowed to go out on the Dhoni away from the island to film the island from the wooden Dhoni, I would not be able to set the home point on the boat the normal way before take off, as it will be moving slowly all the time.

Is the right way for this to press the 3 dots at the top right on the RC Pro and then to enter in to the safety tab or to swipe down twice on the screen to enter and press the safety tab and then select the Update the home point. Then select the RC icon as home point where you are and click OK. Will this make the drone RTH point for where the RC Pro is, i.e. where I am at that time? If so, can I also make the drone know where the RC Pro is at all time when the Dhoni is moving, in order to make it come home closely to me in order to be able to land the drone in my hand? There is no safe place on the Dhoni to land the drone. I believe that this would be good if you have lost the site of the drone and want it to come home. Or if it gets disconnected from the RC.

However if I can see the drone and can steer it towards me, I should be able to hand land it if I can get the Dhoni guys to keep the boat stay in one place.

Many thanks for any help.

2023-12-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I would not be able to set the home point on the boat the normal way before take off, as it will be moving slowly all the time.
No .. If the boat is drifting, that won't make any difference.
Your drone will record a home point as soon as it gets good GPS location data.

can I also make the drone know where the RC Pro is at all time when the  Dhoni is moving, in order to make it come home closely to me
When you reset the homepoint, you reset it to where the drone or the controller is at that time.
There is no dynamic home point.

I believe that this would be good if you have lost the site of the drone and want it to come home
You should be able to spot the boat.
It should stand out on the water.
You don't wnat to use RTH.
You should be in control of the drone and bring it towards the boat yourself.

2023-12-1
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 12-1 02:44
I would not be able to set the home point on the boat the normal way before take off, as it will be moving slowly all the time.

Many thanks for your reply Labroides.

So I have to reset the home point for the RC where I am at that time when boat is still and stay there until the drone comes home by pressing under the safety tab Update the Home point and then press the RC icon and OK.

Thanks again.
2023-12-1
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

kyalami Posted at 12-1 02:57
Many thanks for your reply Labroides.

So I have to reset the home point for the RC where I am at that time when boat is still and stay there until the drone comes home by pressing under the safety tab Update the Home point and then press the RC icon and OK.

I would update the home point at intervals ESPECIALLY when the boat is moving.
2023-12-1
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-1 03:20
I would update the home point at intervals ESPECIALLY when the boat is moving.

Yes I agree with you. This would be the safest way.
Thank you for your additional info Sean-bumble-bee.
2023-12-1
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Labroides Posted at 12-1 02:44
I would not be able to set the home point on the boat the normal way before take off, as it will be moving slowly all the time.

Many thanks for your additional info. Yes I agree, I should be able to be in control of the drone all the time and then bring it in manually. I hope that I can see the boat and if so I should easily be able to bring it in to me and land it in my hand.
2023-12-1
Use props
Sam654
lvl.3
Flight distance : 132667 ft

United Kingdom

Even if you update the HP immediately before RTH, I would wait until it's above you, then cancel RTH and land under manual control.
For the most part I don't use RTH, but fly back and land manually. But on odd occasions I do RTH, I take control at the end to control the precise landing spot. And this is just on land, over water you certainly want to be in control. I will probably do some boat flights in the new year when I get launched, so have thought about this.
2023-12-1
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

Sam654 Posted at 12-1 10:31
Even if you update the HP immediately before RTH, I would wait until it's above you, then cancel RTH and land under manual control.
For the most part I don't use RTH, but fly back and land manually. But on odd occasions I do RTH, I take control at the end to control the precise landing spot. And this is just on land, over water you certainly want to be in control. I will probably do some boat flights in the new year when I get launched, so have thought about this.

Hi,

Yes, as I will be flying over water the whole time I am worried about the drone losing contact with the RC, or something unexpected happens, so therefore I would like to have the home point updated now and again to where I am in the boat, so that I know it will cone close to where I am and can see it if something happens. As you say, once the drone is close to me, I would cancel the RTH and land it manually. If all goes well I would control it all the way and ask the guys on the boat to make sure they stand still and then bring the drone down in to my hand and cut the engines.

On land I always fly it back to me and land on a safe place. On water I am a bit worried if it suddenly wants to land away from me and in the water and sinks.

Thanks for your additional thoughts.
2023-12-1
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for sharing this query with us. After the aircraft is powered on, the default Home Point is the first location where the aircraft receives a strong to moderately strong (white) GNSS signal. The Home Point can be updated before takeoff as long as the aircraft receives a strong to moderately strong GNSS. If the GNSS signal is weak, then the Home Point cannot be updated. If there is a deviation between the updated Home Point position and the actual takeoff position or when the pilot is moving (in this case, the aircraft is not required to return to its automatically-recorded Home Point, such as when following a vehicle or ship), the Home Point must be updated manually.

Furthermore, for flight safety, we don't recommend taking off/landing from moving objects such as cars and ships. Positioning during takeoff/landing comes from combining the data from the vision sensor and GPS. It is easy to cause a positioning error when taking off/landing on a moving ship or car. Thank you for your understanding.
2023-12-2
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-2 01:18
Hello, there. Thank you for sharing this query with us. After the aircraft is powered on, the default Home Point is the first location where the aircraft receives a strong to moderately strong (white) GNSS signal. The Home Point can be updated before takeoff as long as the aircraft receives a strong to moderately strong GNSS. If the GNSS signal is weak, then the Home Point cannot be updated. If there is a deviation between the updated Home Point position and the actual takeoff position or when the pilot is moving (in this case, the aircraft is not required to return to its automatically-recorded Home Point, such as when following a vehicle or ship), the Home Point must be updated manually.

Furthermore, for flight safety, we don't recommend taking off/landing from moving objects such as cars and ships. Positioning during takeoff/landing comes from combining the data from the vision sensor and GPS. It is easy to cause a positioning error when taking off/landing on a moving ship or car. Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you very much Gamora for the additional information regarding the home point.

It is now fully clear to me how this works. I will do a new home point, if the boat moves away from the first home point. It is only a small wooden Dhoni slow sailing boat, not a big ship.

Cheers
Tony
2023-12-2
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

kyalami Posted at 12-2 01:54
Thank you very much Gamora for the additional information regarding the home point.

It is now fully clear to me how this works. I will do a new home point, if the boat moves away from the first home point. It is only a small wooden Dhoni slow sailing boat, not a big ship.

You're most welcome. May we have a safe fight and trip experience ahead. Cheers!
2023-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules