Uploading a custom photo onto OA4?
525 25 2023-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I want to upload (and always keep) a custom photo onto the SD card, which I can browse on the OA4.
WHY?
Because there are too many details to remember so I decided to create a 'cheatsheat' image, and upload it onto the device.

HOW I TRIED?
  • Uploaded custom.jpg (and png, and bmp) to SD card -> NO
  • Took a photo with OA4 and overwrite that image with my own -> NO (old photo is displayed!)
  • Okay, there must be something else: in SD card, there are JFIF format files, which contains the same photo with different resolutions. Tried creating those from my own image -> NO (Invalid file message)

WHAT ELSE?
There is an SQLite database on the SD card stores information on footage, it might be edited, but not that straightforward.

So I'm looking for some DJI internal mate, who can help me, I don't want to do any harm, just I wish to add my own image file to the OA4, which it can display.

Thank you very much
2023-12-1
Use props
Fell_Wanderer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15807 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, why don't you write a cheat sheet with pen and paper or use a word processor on a PC then take a picture of the screen using the Action 4.Thats probably the easiest way to get around your file upload problem.
2023-12-2
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Because I hate taking photos of digital screens.
2023-12-3
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen. I'd be surprised if DJI would give out internals.

If you look in the DB there is data for the THM and SRC files (which are both small JPG files, albeit with different dimensions). They all have offsets, sizes (in bytes), UNIX timestamp, UUID (which could be used as a checksum of some sort based on something you don't know). In addition there's offset for the XMP and EXIF data, etc. They all have to be calculated and written to the DB when the photo is taken. And I'm sure when the camera boots up, it checks the contents of the DB and compares it to what's on the card and sees that something doesn't match up. So it gives you an invalid file message.

Even if you had info about all these values you'd still have to either manually input them back into the DB or write a program to do this for you. And to do all this just for a custom image... seriously, unless you are bored out of your life and have absolutely nothing else to do, the questions still remains: why on earth would you do all this for?

Put your custom image on your phone and you'll have it with you.
2023-12-3
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Thank you osmonauta.

Whenever I use "Action" cameras, I don't bring my phone with me: hence it's an "action" going to happen soon: jumping into water, diving, parachuting, sliding on ziplines, etc.
2023-12-3
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for sharing this query with us. Please allow us to coordinate this query with our relevant team for possible recommendations. Rest assured that the latest informaiton will be forwarded.
2023-12-4
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Update: May I confirm if you wish to upload custom files to the SD card and insert them into the DJI Action 4? Please know that the DJI Action 4 supports Photo format: JPEG/RAW and Video format: MP4 (H264/HEVC) Please feel free to keep us posted on the latest progress.
2023-12-8
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that. And also yes, I wish to add a JPG file from my computer to SD card, and then insert this SD card into Action4, and my desire is to let Action4 display this file on its screen. Same way it displays images shot with it.

Thank you
2023-12-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Danergo Posted at 12-8 05:47
Yes, I'm perfectly aware of that. And also yes, I wish to add a JPG file from my computer to SD card, and then insert this SD card into Action4, and my desire is to let Action4 display this file on its screen. Same way it displays images shot with it.

Thank you

Thank you for your update. May I confirm the result after testing the format?
2023-12-10
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-10 23:16
Thank you for your update. May I confirm the result after testing the format?

Sorry I don't understand this comment.

Can you please rephrase?

Thank you
2023-12-10
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Danergo Posted at 12-10 23:27
Sorry I don't understand this comment.

Can you please rephrase?

Sorry for the confusion. May I confirm if you managed to test the format with our DJI Action 4?
2023-12-11
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

No worried. I tried, yes, but action4 doesn't list it.
2023-12-11
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Any updates?
2-2 08:30
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Let me offer a very easy suggestion til lthey  allow modifications to photos.  take an Actual photo of what you like to, yes  do, and  make sure you do not delete it off the card,   make it a Love icon. and problem is solved.  something till they figure out your request,  The DJI is not a PMP a portable media player  they blocked and disable the  copying back with modifications years ago
2-2 09:18
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Yeah but that won't be that good quality image, due to fish-eye lens. Thank you anyway, appreciate your suggestion.

DJI: I don't see any reason on why you don't allow us putting a modified image back onto SD card, which our camera can display. Our camera which we BOUGHT.
2-2 09:37
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

to  change a PDF, or file to a phot to load in th a 2.0 plus screen, I say use your smartphone  what others have done for years
2-2 16:14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

osmonauta Posted at 2023-12-3 17:48
I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen. I'd be surprised if DJI would give out internals.

If you look in the DB there is data for the THM and SRC files (which are both small JPG files, albeit with different dimensions). They all have offsets, sizes (in bytes), UNIX timestamp, UUID (which could be used as a checksum of some sort based on something you don't know). In addition there's offset for the XMP and EXIF data, etc. They all have to be calculated and written to the DB when the photo is taken. And I'm sure when the camera boots up, it checks the contents of the DB and compares it to what's on the card and sees that something doesn't match up. So it gives you an invalid file message.

The exif data isnt a problem, its the others you mentioned as they are encrypted, there is no way unless DJI and out the encryption key and we all know that 100%, that is not going to happen.

The only and best option is to set it to FOV standard (Dewarp) and  take a photo, that should suffice
2-2 18:02
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 2-2 16:14
to  change a PDF, or file to a phot to load in th a 2.0 plus screen, I say use your smartphone  what others have done for years

Man! Where these cameras manage being brought to is not the general well-being space for your phones

I.e. my phone is not with me when I'm about to jump into water, paragliding, bungeeing etc.
2-2 21:54
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Danergo Posted at 2-2 21:54
Man! Where these cameras manage being brought to is not the general well-being space for your phones

I.e. my phone is not with me when I'm about to jump into water, paragliding, bungeeing etc.

Those are the options I see: last one make a card size of a business one and laminate, till DJI can  accept your request  in new firmware , that all will  chck  when available of new releases

Good luck
2-3 04:36
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I'm really curious on why DJI bans us from copying and displaying some images on the SD card? How would this hurt them?

Please DJI answer to this question.
2-14 00:29
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Hmmmm…. maybe because it doesn’t make any sense? 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of the people don’t buy a camera to upload a photo to it. They buy it so they can download a photo from it.

It’s like telling a car manufacturer why they don’t put wings on a car so when the traffic is bad you could switch to Fly Mode. Yes, there are prototypes of cars that can fly. You want one, you buy one. (Although it might not be easy.) Ford is not going to upgrade your car with wings for quite a few reasons.

Similarly, there are cameras you can upload photos to. They're called: smartphones.
2-14 03:24
Use props
Danergo
lvl.3
  • >>>
Hungary

Thanks for sarcasm. I gently asked DJI. If you are not affiliated with them, please ignore my post.
2-14 03:52
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I agree to have the custom photo added on for the reasons of  

Reward if found, here is my email addy,  contact me for further info that be one good option to have  the custom photo
2-14 04:14
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Danergo Posted at 2-14 03:52
Thanks for sarcasm. I gently asked DJI. If you are not affiliated with them, please ignore my post.

Ok. I will ignore your post. However, you will never see this implemented so don't keep your hopes up.
2-14 08:20
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Fishycomics Posted at 2-14 04:14
I agree to have the custom photo added on for the reasons of  

Reward if found, here is my email addy,  contact me for further info that be one good option to have  the custom photo

Write down your email and take a photo of it with the camera. And now you have it.

Although I can see how taking a photo of your email with your phone, then uploading this image to the camera would be so much more convenient, LOL.
...sarc...

Hey, I have a suggestion. DJI, please add a basic phone to the camera so I can make phone calls on it. In case I left my regular phone at home...
2-14 08:29
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

osmonauta Posted at 2-14 08:29
Write down your email and take a photo of it with the camera. And now you have it.

Although I can see how taking a photo of your email with your phone, then uploading this image to the camera would be so much more convenient, LOL.

seems you got a sdxc lost there bud
2-14 09:05
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules