658 6 2023-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gizmo6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have recently acquired a DJI RTK Module for my M3E, and was able to successfully configure a Custom Network RTK profile for my NTRIP service provider, and have a question about the RTK Status reported by the M3E.

During multiple flight tests, I was able to connect to my NTRIP service provider using a local WiFi connection on one flight, and through a personal Hot Spot connection on the other flight.  In both cases, the RTK symbol on the RM510B turned White, with 30+ satellites in view, a CONNECTED status and a strong signal.  My NTRIP service provider confirmed that the M3E was connected and consuming data.

The DJI M3E manual states that the M3E should be showing a FIX status.  Should I be expecting a Connected Status when using NTRIP corrections, and a FIX status when using corrections provided by the DJI RTK-2 Base station?

2023-12-1
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1829121 ft
United States

When I get back from this trip I will look at what the actual status says. I use both the D-RTK-2 and a NTRIP account, depending on where I am. I know it sounds like I am a fool, I just wait until the RTK goes white and is using RTK data in both cases. It does go active quicker with the D-RTK-2 unit, since it spends far less time converging. Then again, I tend to be much farther from the NTRIP NEAREST station than the D-RTK-2.
2023-12-2
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

When using NTRIP the connected status is just saying that it has a connection to the NTRIP server and has nothing to do with RTK corrections. You'll still have to wait until it is done converging for the RTK status to turn white. The D-RTK2 is going to be quicker because of the close proximity of it vs an NTRIP server. Also because it is usually only providing relative accuracy. Unless you're setup on an already known nail and also putting those coordinates into the base. You're not being fed an absolute accuracy like an NTRIP service is providing you.
2023-12-2
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
United States

I almost always use points out of the NGS database. I enter their positions in the RC after converting the notation system.  I actually was a Commissioned Coast and Goodetic Survey Officer, known now as NOAA. Much like this one:
2023-12-2
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13349895 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dogpilot Posted at 12-2 22:26
I almost always use points out of the NGS database. I enter their positions in the RC after converting the notation system.  I actually was a Commissioned Coast and Goodetic Survey Officer, known now as NOAA. Much like this one:
[view_image]

Very nice. So what is the best workflow for calculating a static position in post when using the D-RTK2? Submitting to OPUS is the industry standard for this process but I'm not aware of a way to do this with the D-RTK2 since there is no antenna calibration for this base head. DJI markets this setup like you can just turn in on anywhere, connect, and instantly be receiving cm level accuracy. This is why I think a lot of people get confused.
2023-12-3
Use props
Dogpilot
lvl.4
United States

So far I have not been using OPUS. Not investigated that aspect. I am perfectly happy for my research purposes to give it a fixed high standard point. I do not survey nor do I submit anything for sale to anyone. Pure research. Getting my data within 4-5 cm actually works fine for me. I do want to get to the point to create 3D maps, which I suppose I will need to attend a seminar over or get one of the offshore geotechnical to explain it like I am the moron I appear. I do thermal decay on rock formations hidden by overlying talus. All part of a bigger look at groundwater carrying a load of uranium enriched groundwater dumping it into defects in the rocks.

In NOAA we would use microwave line ranging to make hydrographic near shore charts of soundings. This stuff has evolved so far since I started. Just for grins, when I get back to civilization and have a spare moment I am going to do some reverse survey and close it back, just to see how much it is off during the normal course in the areas I work.
2023-12-3
Use props
Gizmo6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 28140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was able to get an answer to my original question.  If a FIX status is indicated on the RTK page, then the RTK solution is valid.

The RTK icon on the main screen was White, but only showed a Connected status and strong signal, not a FIX status.  That was where my initial question came from.   

So beyond the RTK Icon turning White, the RTK page is the definitive source of the quality of the connection, along with the correction data.

I just need to read the fine print in the manual closer...
2023-12-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules