Finally...A mic adapter...but it sucks....
12Next >
1977 41 2023-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

I see DJI finally released a mic adapter that clips on in place of the door :-)
That's good news and I discovered that I can now use a USB C splitter cable with one leg for power and the other for a TRS mic adapter cable and
it all works.   Some USB mics seem to have a cold start issue though, hopefully DJI can sort that out.

The bad news is the adapter sucks....super low recording volume/gain.   In order to get decent volume levels the gain on the camera has to be turned way up to like +10 DB and that
introduces noise to the audio, it's not good.

So this would be good for recording at a super loud rock concert or maybe recording a hot rod car rev it's loud engines or for moto Vloggers.

DJI...can you also release a normal adapter like this one or at least let Cynova make one ?  

Thanks

2023-12-4
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI will not lower the bitrate,  gopr ohas the standard for a long time , and happy to see Insta offering.    the  Ace front screen looks only to be for settings, that I am not a fan of.
2023-12-4
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

the micadapter is a splitter
2023-12-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lutzmix Posted at 12-4 17:08
the micadapter is a splitter

Well internally yes, the one I am talking about is the new one that clips on in place of the door and works with the OA3 as well.
There are usb cable splitters also that work but that's not what I am talking about.
2023-12-4
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

There is no adapter for the OA3 that allows external microphone and external charging at the same time!  (I have the new adapter) With the OA4 you don't need a splitter cable with the adapter

External microphone and external power source might work with the A2, but I'm not sure yet (ulanzi case )
2023-12-4
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lutzmix Posted at 12-4 21:38
There is no adapter for the OA3 that allows external microphone and external charging at the same time!  (I have the new adapter) With the OA4 you don't need a splitter cable with the adapter

I don't have a oa3, but several folks have confirmed the new adapter works with it.
I can't say if the pass thru usb c works at same time on the oa3 but apparently it at least works with a mic.
2023-12-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

snorkel Posted at 12-5 00:07
I don't have a oa3, but several folks have confirmed the new adapter works with it.
I can't say if the pass thru usb c works at same time on the oa3 but apparently it at least works with a mic.

Charging and audio at the same time doesn't work with the Osmo Action 3. But in a Motovlog scenario I was able to achieve the best results with the DJI Osmo Action Audio Adapter on the Osmo Action 3. No other adapter I tested lowered the volume this much.
2023-12-5
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Andreas Dueck Posted at 12-5 11:51
Charging and audio at the same time doesn't work with the Osmo Action 3. But in a Motovlog scenario I was able to achieve the best results with the DJI Osmo Action Audio Adapter on the Osmo Action 3. No other adapter I tested lowered the volume this much.

use a wireless mic
2023-12-5
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Andreas Dueck Posted at 12-5 11:51

Yep, I got the adapter and it is useless for my purposes it lowers the gain way to much, sending it back..... they need to make one that has normal gain levels.
2023-12-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

snorkel Posted at 12-5 14:25
Yep, I got the adapter and it is useless for my purposes it lowers the gain way to much, sending it back..... they need to make one that has normal gain levels.

What purpose are you using the adapter for? Maybe I can give you a tip for the right adapter.
2023-12-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

lutzmix Posted at 12-5 13:31
use a wireless mic

I'm currently testing a few variants, but I don't like having to charge another battery.
2023-12-5
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Andreas Dueck Posted at 12-5 15:25
What purpose are you using the adapter for? Maybe I can give you a tip for the right adapter.

Kayak Fishing
2023-12-5
Use props
Andreas Dueck
Second Officer
Switzerland

Do you want to capture the sounds of nature too? The Boya BY-K4 adapter has the highest level of all the ones I tested, but in the Osmo Action 3 and 4 you would have to set the level to -6 so that the background noise doesn't bother you. A Samsung adapter with a TRRS microphone would also be an option, the price is lower and the leeway in the settings is sufficient (this variant would be designed more for your voice)
2023-12-5
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Andreas Dueck Posted at 12-5 15:49
Do you want to capture the sounds of nature too? The Boya BY-K4 adapter has the highest level of all the ones I tested, but in the Osmo Action 3 and 4 you would have to set the level to -6 so that the background noise doesn't bother you. A Samsung adapter with a TRRS microphone would also be an option, the price is lower and the leeway in the settings is sufficient (this variant would be designed more for your voice)

Yep, I like the background sounds.
I'm Using it with a Etiduge etm-001 which is pretty hot to begin with and I think I have it at -3.

I'm super disappointed in the adapter though :-(
I thought it was going to be like the OA1 adapter from Cynova.
2023-12-5
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there! Thank you for your sharing your thoughts with us and we do appreciate your feedback. Rest assured that we'll help you to forward your idea to our relevant team for future reference. Should you have further concerns, please let us know.
2023-12-5
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

The advantage of the DJI microphone adapter is that it relieves the load on the USBc port and can connect the DJI mic in both directions
2023-12-7
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17480 ft
  • >>>
United States

I picked up one of these for my OA4 for ice fishing this winter here in the northern part of the United States. Wanted to use a small external mic, the Saramonic SR-XM1, with a deadcat attached to reduce wind noise while speaking.
2023-12-7
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

lutzmix Posted at 12-7 11:35
The advantage of the DJI microphone adapter is that it relieves the load on the USBc port and can connect the DJI mic in both directions

Yes, but it also massively reduces volume, I have to turn the gain up to even hear it LOL
They need to come out with another version that is NOT for Moto Vlogging.

it's really bad.
2023-12-7
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ryguyMN Posted at 12-7 12:16
I picked up one of these for my OA4 for ice fishing this winter here in the northern part of the United States. Wanted to use a small external mic, the Saramonic SR-XM1, with a deadcat attached to reduce wind noise while speaking.

Have you tried it yet?  They made it massively reduce the gain before it gets to the camera so at normal camera gain levels you can barely hear it.
2023-12-7
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 12-7 19:28
Have you tried it yet?  They made it massively reduce the gain before it gets to the camera so at normal camera gain levels you can barely hear it.

No, I have not yet, but that is not encouraging to hear the gain levels being low. Hopefully it can be corrected by firmware if that is the case.
2023-12-9
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I don't think it can be corrected by firmware unfortunately as it built into the device.
I think they made it specifically for motorcycle vloggers and not for everyone.....come on DJI you need to release a NON motorcycle version or at least a low profile usb strain release pass thru door.
2023-12-9
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

How is the sound with the sound adapter vs same mic with BY-K4 adapter?
2023-12-9
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 12-9 14:26
How is the sound with the sound adapter vs same mic with BY-K4 adapter?

The adapter is terrible compared to the boya.
The volume level going into camera is ridiculously low with the adapter not sure what they were thinking....it doesn't say in any of the descriptions that it's only for moto vloggers, pretty small niche to target if you ask me.
2023-12-9
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

DJI have an input there can be very useful, if you are indore, or in a studio. It will record if you let out a wind, softly, that's how sensitive they are. So when you go out for some action, an lav mic will not do the trick, wind and noyse will ruin everything. I use an headphone minijack volumecontrol, to turn down the input. Works, but cables sucks. Do have wireless, do it too. But this new adabtor, made to turn down input. Is perfekt. Do not matter if we have to ajust volume level en post. We already do that.
2023-12-10
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hurtighansen1 Posted at 12-10 02:02
DJI have an input there can be very useful, if you are indore, or in a studio. It will record if you let out a wind, softly, that's how sensitive they are. So when you go out for some action, an lav mic will not do the trick, wind and noyse will ruin everything. I use an headphone minijack volumecontrol, to turn down the input. Works, but cables sucks. Do have wireless, do it too. But this new adabtor, made to turn down input. Is perfekt. Do not matter if we have to ajust volume level en post. We already do that.

Have you tried it?  It's so low that raising in post introduces noise....for out door use you use a deadcat LOL to eliminate wind noise
I'm sorry but it's not perfect unless you are recording a super loud rock concert indoors everything else the new adapter is useless...
2023-12-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Does the adapter allow Wind noise on? Think not?
2023-12-10
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fishycomics Posted at 12-10 08:27
Does the adapter allow Wind noise on? Think not?

No of course not that's only for built in mics.
You need a deadcat for an external mic ...

The problem with the adapter is the super low volume and that's not going to reduce wind noise it's only good for recording in SUPER loud environments like at a Kiss concert LOL or recording the screeching sounds of a crotch rocket motorcycle or a revving 454 big block with open exhaust.....
2023-12-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

So more or less the external mic adapter is being switched to a setting of hte camera causing the audio to be to a certain Db and that is not the norm.
2023-12-10
Use props
Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic
lvl.4
  • >>>
France

Check this video, maybe can help.

2023-12-10
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yanncd FrenchStreetMedic Posted at 12-10 12:38
Check this video, maybe can help.

https://youtu.be/U_GiSphFFwQ

I have the boya adapter and that one works great, except it has no strain relief on the cameras usb c port and u have to use a USB C splitter which adds a bulky mess to the camera when hat mounted.
And to top it all off I have to use a up/down usb c adapter to get the dongly mess to kind if go where i want.
Sorry for the rant but DJI really messed up on the adapter.  Sure I can use it as a pass thru but then I have the dongle mess just sticking out the side even more LOL
I wish they would let Cynova make a proper adapter ....
2023-12-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

recall the cynova had issues at the start, shaft, was short,  was told to tear off the foam till they  corrected this and DJI   was no way getting invovled you had  to contact cynova  for a replacement.
2023-12-10
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

It wi

snorkel Posted at 12-9 08:26
I don't think it can be corrected by firmware unfortunately as it built into the device.
I think they made it specifically for motorcycle vloggers and not for everyone.....come on DJI you need to release a NON motorcycle version or at least a low profile usb strain release pass thru door.

I tested the mic with the newest firmware that just came out on 12/12/23. I'm at +20 to +25 gain with a 3.5mm mic for the audio level to be at responsible level. Not a ton of noise, but I can isolate my voice in post if need be in DaVinci Resolve. It will work for my purposes.
2023-12-12
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ryguyMN Posted at 12-12 11:49
I tested the mic with the newest firmware that just came out on 12/12/23. I'm at +20 to +25 gain with a 3.5mm mic for the audio level to be at responsible level. Not a ton of noise, but I can isolate my voice in post if need be in DaVinci Resolve. It will work for my purposes.

That's still crazy we need to do that.
2023-12-12
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Looks like the stand alone Mic2 is going to be released soon since that firmware added support for it so the whole adapter may be a none issue if the mic2 can record for 8 to 10 hours
2023-12-12
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 12-12 12:01
Looks like the stand alone Mic2 is going to be released soon since that firmware added support for it so the whole adapter may be a none issue if the mic2 can record for 8 to 10 hours

I did get the Pocket 3 combo pack, so I have access to a Mic 2. I didn't test it out as I wasn't planning on using it for my ice fishing videos as I wanted one less thing attached to me with bulky clothing on.
2023-12-12
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I tested the mic with the newest firmware that just came out on 12/12/23. I'm at +20 to +25 gain with a 3.5mm mic for the audio level to be at responsible level. Not a ton of noise, but I can isolate my voice in post if need be in DaVinci Resolve. It will work for my purposes.

What mic are you using?   Try a ETM-001 it's hotter than normal mics and is the best one I found to work with the adapter, it's still super low even if I increase gain in camera to +12db.   I do notice a hiss but it can be mostly removed with Davinci Resolves noise reduction, that's just an extra un-needed step though.

What they need to do is release a NON moto vlogging version of the adapter maybe with better ergonomics like the one Cynova did for the Ace Pro, that one is great.

https://www.amazon.com/EDUTIGE-E ... rless/dp/B00IP0ST78
2023-12-12
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

snorkel Posted at 12-12 12:50
What mic are you using?   Try a ETM-001 it's hotter than normal mics and is the best one I found to work with the adapter, it's still super low even if I increase gain in camera to +12db.   I do notice a hiss but it can be mostly removed with Davinci Resolves noise reduction, that's just an extra un-needed step though.

What they need to do is release a NON moto vlogging version of the adapter maybe with better ergonomics like the one Cynova did for the Ace Pro, that one is great.

Saramonic SR-XM1 3.5mm mic. I wanted to use a 3.5mm so I can keep the USB port free for an external power pack since I want to have recording capability beyond 2 hours at 4k/30. I'm also more soft spoken, so I usually have to jack the audio levels up in post anyway.
2023-12-13
Use props
PhilTonic
lvl.1
Germany

For comparison: I'm using a double attentuator cable and even on the loudest setting have to raise my mic audio level by 25dB in post (motovlog situation). It doesn't matter though. I edit my video with the original audio. Then I export only the audio, run it through Audacity to remove noise (pick a quiet bit to determine noise profile, then run the filter) and after that use that new audio file for the final video. All noise is gone, takes 2 minutes and costs nothing.
2023-12-14
Use props
fanscaae50a3
lvl.3

Spain

The new mic adapter behaves like a -20dB pad! Quite strange.
2023-12-14
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fanscaae50a3 Posted at 12-14 07:50
The new mic adapter behaves like a -20dB pad! Quite strange.
Yep it's weird.  I can get ok audio out of it with a hotter running mic and a +10db in camera gain and then a bit of gain in post.
Cynova does make the adapter but not sure what they were thinking...the one they makenfor the Ace Pro is excellent, it's smaller with better port placement and sounds great with no manipulation.
2023-12-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules