UK Regs. as will be.
1089 6 2023-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rockbyter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 194472 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all, can't find the definitive answer to this so... Mini 4 pro or air 3?  Looking at these the air 3 would be the best upgrade from my Mini 3 pro.  In the UK would i really just need the A2COC qualification to basically fly this where I now fly my Mini 3 Pro?  Damn rules are so convoluted it is hard to comprehend just what one needs.  I don't fly in any busy areas and try to avoid uninvolved persons but inevitably someone will come along out of no where.  I don't fly in towns, cities or known busy areas but do fly around quiet parks and canals etc.

Might be a daft question to some but I really want to get this right so thanks.
2023-12-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Air 3 is A3 flight only,  unless you take the A2CofC exam and pass then you can fly A2 but only for 2 years and then your A3 again.  Unless new rules come in.   To be honest Im not sure why you would want to upgrade the Mini 3 Pro to either of these drones,   there is very minimal improvement over the Mini 3.

Also if you only fly for fun then Article 16 rules might suite you better but they involves going one of the two clubs like FPVUK.org

2023-12-7
Use props
Rockbyter1955
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I see what you mean, was only thinking that if I went to Mini 4 there would be no real benifit from going up to Air 3 with A@ COC.
2023-12-7
Use props
Balzer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1070256 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I Don't think that info is correct anymore. You can look up the regulation here : https://dronesurveyservices.com/uk-drone-laws/
As far as I know, the UK has largly adapted the EUs regulations, as you can see on the above mentioned website. If you fly as a hobbiest in the Opeen Category (which you are with an air3) the Air3 would fall in the C1 Category in the EU and the UK (under 900g) - meaning you can fly it in the A1 category, if you register and take a fly test (should be both easy and free). I don't think an A2 licence is needed at all, since you're already allowed to fly in the A1 category and the Air3 is an official C1 classified drone.
The test and flyer/operator id thing is annoying but as of now, cheap and quick. So you should be good to go within an hour.
2023-12-12
Use props
trindleberry_pe
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have the air 3, all I needed to do was take the flyer ID test & operator ID , am I missing something ? =/

2023-12-12
Use props
djiuser_Cbq2ixqBsQAM
New

United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 2023-12-7 00:19
Air 3 is A3 flight only,  unless you take the A2CofC exam and pass then you can fly A2 but only for 2 years and then your A3 again.  Unless new rules come in.   To be honest Im not sure why you would want to upgrade the Mini 3 Pro to either of these drones,   there is very minimal improvement over the Mini 3.

Also if you only fly for fun then Article 16 rules might suite you better but they involves going one of the two clubs like FPVUK.org

Direct from CAA CAP722 document.

• A1 (fly 'over' people) - Operations in subcategory A1 can be conducted within
'congested' areas (as defined in section 2.1.8) and may be carried out over uninvolved people (other than A1 transitional UAS), but not assemblies of people. Any overflight of people should be avoided if possible and kept to a minimum. Operations must be conducted with a:
• UAS less than 250g, that is privately built or placed on the market before 1 Jan 2026 (under the 'Legacy' provisions); or
• A1 Transitional UAS with a mass less than 500g, provided the remote pilot holds an A2 CofC certificate as described in section 5.2.3.1, and does not overfly uninvolved people - only until 01 January 2026.
• A2 (Fly 'close to' people) (under the transitional provisions) - Operations in subcategory A2 can be conducted 'near' people with a minimum horizontal distance of 50 metres from uninvolved persons. The remote pilot must have successfully A2 Certificate of Competence.
A set of p
1-31 10:54
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Cbq2ixqBsQAM Posted at 1-31 10:54
Direct from CAA CAP722 document.

• A1 (fly 'over' people) - Operations in subcategory A1 can be conducted within

Thanks for confirming that,   A3 only it is then.  
2-1 00:51
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules