Backup Audio mode always on?
1184 17 2023-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GianluSora
lvl.1
Italy

In my experience the backup audio is active even when I use the internal microphone. I will find the same track in the video and in a wav external file.
It will be nice to have an option to turn the backup on automaticly only if the DJI MIC 2 is in use.
Thanks!
2023-12-7
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162270 ft
United Kingdom

There is an option in the main menu (swipe down from top of the screen). It is called "Built-in Mic Audio Backup" and you can toggle it On/Off.
What have you set yours to?
2023-12-7
Use props
GianluSora
lvl.1
Italy

djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG Posted at 12-7 03:27
There is an option in the main menu (swipe down from top of the screen). It is called "Built-in Mic Audio Backup" and you can toggle it On/Off.
What have you set yours to?

Yes, I'm talking about that option, it would be nice if I can leave it ON, but choose to have the backup files ONLY if I'm recording with the external mic enabled (without changing option every time). When I'm using the internal one the backup file is useless.

Maybe in a future update?
2023-12-7
Use props
djiuser_ITbqYOIlCxmG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 162270 ft
United Kingdom

GianluSora Posted at 12-7 04:16
Yes, I'm talking about that option, it would be nice if I can leave it ON, but choose to have the backup files ONLY if I'm recording with the external mic enabled (without changing option every time). When I'm using the internal one the backup file is useless.

Apologies, I missed the point. Now that I have read your post properly, it sounds like a nice feature to have
2023-12-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Because of a bug discussed at length elsewhere, the backup audio faciliity should probably not normally be used when the DJI Mic 2 is in use, unless you do want totally mono sound.  But there are any number of situations where it has a use, so turning it off if the Mic 2 is not in use is kind of seriously counterproductive.  It does have a use when no external mic is in use as well, because the wave format file is inherently more suitable for high quality audio than the AAC audio embedded in the video file.
2023-12-7
Use props
DJI-ytao
DJI R&D Squad
Flight distance : 1209413 ft
  • >>>
China

GianluSora Posted at 12-7 04:16
Yes, I'm talking about that option, it would be nice if I can leave it ON, but choose to have the backup files ONLY if I'm recording with the external mic enabled (without changing option every time). When I'm using the internal one the backup file is useless.

We actually considered this.
Since dji mic2 or 3rd party microphone can be connected during the recording.

the mic2 connection will interrupt or begin a audio file when making it automatically, which makes it inconvenient to sync the audio file with video.

2023-12-7
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17480 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-7 06:35
Because of a bug discussed at length elsewhere, the backup audio faciliity should probably not normally be used when the DJI Mic 2 is in use, unless you do want totally mono sound.  But there are any number of situations where it has a use, so turning it off if the Mic 2 is not in use is kind of seriously counterproductive.  It does have a use when no external mic is in use as well, because the wave format file is inherently more suitable for high quality audio than the AAC audio embedded in the video file.

I recorded a video piece the other day and was wondering why I was getting mono audio from the Mic 2 when I loaded the footage into DaVinci Resolve. At first, I thought it was a bug in DaVinci from the last update. Luckily, I was able to create a two-channel track from the mono audio in post. Not nearly as clean as stereo audio directly from the Mic 2, but it was good enough for what I was trying to do.
2023-12-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ryguyMN Posted at 12-7 12:04
I recorded a video piece the other day and was wondering why I was getting mono audio from the Mic 2 when I loaded the footage into DaVinci Resolve. At first, I thought it was a bug in DaVinci from the last update. Luckily, I was able to create a two-channel track from the mono audio in post. Not nearly as clean as stereo audio directly from the Mic 2, but it was good enough for what I was trying to do.

Mono audio will always be recorded from the Mic 2 as it's a mono mic.  It's the internal mics which should record in stereo - unless you request mono in the settings - but they are forced to record mono to the wave format audio file when the Mic 2 is in use (and backup audio is turned on).
2023-12-7
Use props
Astronax
lvl.2
Russia

In my opinion, DJI did something strange with the audio backup option. Now they are trying to explain how to use it, but it is not very convincing and completely inconvenient. The  sound is recorded in mono, although the camera has a stereo microphone, the backup sound is recorded even when the external microphone is turned off. To record stereo sound you need to connect a third-party stereo microphone. DJI, why did I even buy a combo kit in this case? To get normal stereo sound and voice from an external microphone, you need to record the sound with the camera and a backup track in the microphone’s memory and then mix it in post, but damn, why not to do it right away)
2023-12-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

"To record stereo sound you need to connect a third-party stereo microphone. "  Or you can connect a 3rd party wireless mic (mono) via a USB-C receiver (or the first generation DJI Mic).  In that case the backup file from the internal mics is in stereo.  The ONLY time it records a mono backup wave file is if the DJI Mic 2 is connected.  And that is indeed kind of weird - UNLESS the work done by the internal wireless receiver is so intense that there are no resources left for processing the three internal mics into a stereo image and writing to the wave file.  If that is the case, then this is a hardware issue, not firmware.  I really hope not!
2023-12-8
Use props
Astronax
lvl.2
Russia

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-8 02:49
"To record stereo sound you need to connect a third-party stereo microphone. "  Or you can connect a 3rd party wireless mic (mono) via a USB-C receiver (or the first generation DJI Mic).  In that case the backup file from the internal mics is in stereo.  The ONLY time it records a mono backup wave file is if the DJI Mic 2 is connected.  And that is indeed kind of weird - UNLESS the work done by the internal wireless receiver is so intense that there are no resources left for processing the three internal mics into a stereo image and writing to the wave file.  If that is the case, then this is a hardware issue, not firmware.  I really hope not!

This is not a hardware limitation, but a software issue, because with two external wireless microphones or a third-party stereo microphone, the camera records from the built-in microphones in stereo.
2023-12-8
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-7 23:55
Mono audio will always be recorded from the Mic 2 as it's a mono mic.  It's the internal mics which should record in stereo - unless you request mono in the settings - but they are forced to record mono to the wave format audio file when the Mic 2 is in use (and backup audio is turned on).

I definitely got stereo out of the Mic 2 before the firmware update, so I think something happened with the update. Either that or some setting got changed in the update  that I need to change back (probably the backup audio recording needs to be off).
2023-12-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Astronax Posted at 12-8 09:12
This is not a hardware limitation, but a software issue, because with two external wireless microphones or a third-party stereo microphone, the camera records from the built-in microphones in stereo.

But with external mic receivers, the camera is not having to handle the load of receiving from the DJI Mic 2.  So it's a significantly different hardware scenario.
2023-12-8
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

ryguyMN Posted at 12-8 12:10
I definitely got stereo out of the Mic 2 before the firmware update, so I think something happened with the update. Either that or some setting got changed in the update  that I need to change back (probably the backup audio recording needs to be off).

But the Mic 2 has a single mono capsule.  Are you referring to a stereo track carrying a mono signal (same signal on left and right channels) as compared with a mono track with no left and right channels?  They will sound the same of course.
2023-12-8
Use props
ryguyMN
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-8 13:58
But the Mic 2 has a single mono capsule.  Are you referring to a stereo track carrying a mono signal (same signal on left and right channels) as compared with a mono track with no left and right channels?  They will sound the same of course.

I think it's the former. All I know is the audio was tagged as stereo when I loaded the video clip into DaVinci Resolve before the update and now this last time it was mono.
2023-12-8
Use props
Astronax
lvl.2
Russia

fansfe82067d Posted at 12-8 13:54
But with external mic receivers, the camera is not having to handle the load of receiving from the DJI Mic 2.  So it's a significantly different hardware scenario.

In another thread, DJI responded that with two MIC 2 wireless microphones, a stereo sound from the built-in microphone will be recorded. So there is no hardware limitation.
2023-12-10
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Astronax Posted at 12-10 23:07
In another thread, DJI responded that with two MIC 2 wireless microphones, a stereo signal from the built-in microphone will be recorded. So there is no hardware limitation.

Well, we could discuss this for a week, and it's only guesswork (on my part at least), but recording the two wireless mics to stereo would be a fairly small task, compared to recording one mic to stereo.  But processing the sound from the three capsules would be quite a significant load.  People who know about audio processing have told me that the way in which the soundfield is rotated as the gimbal head rotates is really quite clever.  The handle with the mics stays still as the gimbal is rotated with the joystick or with tracking, but it sounds like the mics have been moved to point in the same direction as the gimbal.  But as I say, I am guessing at the processor load, I admit.
2023-12-11
Use props
RoadRunner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 741588 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Please forgive my possible obtuseness regarding what I don't understand about the backup audio recording. So, if I have the original DJI wireless microphone connected and I activate the backup audio, does this mean that the audio recorded from the wireless microphone is saved twice, once in the video file itself and separately as an MP4, or does it mean that as backup audio, the built-in microphone of the Osmo Pocket itself is used? That would actually be great because then you could automatically enable a two-microphone recording. Or, when using two wireless microphones, even enable three audio sources, for example, two interviewees and myself via the built-in Osmo Pocket.
2-25 09:54
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules