Shutter speed when using Auto exposure
568 15 2023-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Normally, when I shoot video on any device, I set my shutter speed, as per the 180˚ rule of thumb, so the shutter is twice the frame rate.

If I set the Action 4 to Auto exposure and set the frame rate, does the camera follow the same rule and set the shutter to double the frame rate, or does it just adjust for what it thinks is correct exposure and ignore the rule?
2023-12-9
Use props
DaLyR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1105322 ft
Romania

It doesn't follow any rule, it's just use lowest shutter speed for best exposure and also using high iso if you don't limit it low
2023-12-9
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Thank you. I thought that might be the case. I'll have to do some experimentation to see if there is a difference between manually setting exposure and following the rule, and just using Auto.
2023-12-9
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

You forgot that you have 3 options and not just 2. When you say "Auto" it's not clear which "Auto" are you talking about.

Auto
Camera sets shutter and ISO automatically

PRO Auto
You specify shutter range (min-max) and ISO (min-max).

PRO Manual
You specify a single shutter value. You either set a single value for ISO or an ISO range.

2023-12-9
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

Thank you. I did forget about that but the bottom line is that neither Auto mode will follow the 180˚ rule. It's good to know that you can limit the shutter speed range though.
2023-12-9
Use props
Iancraig10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Robert Mitchell Posted at 12-9 05:33
Thank you. I thought that might be the case. I'll have to do some experimentation to see if there is a difference between manually setting exposure and following the rule, and just using Auto.

If you are walking around or there is lots of moving, then with a low shutter speed, the stabilisation will fail and you’ll see glitches.

I mainly use slow shutter when I’m still and the subject is moving. Other than that, high frame and fast shutter is really what action cams are best at.
2023-12-9
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Yeah, I think the 180 only meant to be applied (possibly) when the camera is on a tripod or is in a resting position. Of course it's possible to turn off EIS and use the 180 but then the footage will look like it came from a cop's body cam :-)
2023-12-9
Use props
Robert Mitchell
lvl.3
United States

osmonauta Posted at 12-9 09:13
Yeah, I think the 180 only meant to be applied (possibly) when the camera is on a tripod or is in a resting position. Of course it's possible to turn off EIS and use the 180 but then the footage will look like it came from a cop's body cam :-)

Thank you. That makes sense.
2023-12-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. When you set the camera in AUTO mode, the exposure logic of Auto mode is to ensure that the view has sufficient brightness first, so the shutter speed is minimized to ensure that the view is bright enough. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-12-9
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-9 22:56
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. When you set the camera in AUTO mode, the exposure logic of Auto mode is to ensure that the view has sufficient brightness first, so the shutter speed is minimized to ensure that the view is bright enough. Should you have other inquiries, feel free to contact us. Thank you for your valued support.

so saying it did not follow the  rule because it set to the lowest.
2023-12-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 12-10 04:27
so saying it did not follow the  rule because it set to the lowest.

Based on the exposure logic of Auto mode, it will not follow the rule as it adjusts the shutter speed automatically. Have a nice day
2023-12-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-11 04:33
Based on the exposure logic of Auto mode, it will not follow the rule as it adjusts the shutter speed automatically. Have a nice day

thank you, its an action camera
2023-12-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Fishycomics Posted at 12-11 04:37
thank you, its an action camera

You're welcome, Fish. Wish you have a wonderful day ahead! Take care always.
2023-12-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

thank you  you too
2023-12-12
Use props
osmonauta
Second Officer
Hungary

Fish, make sure you take care ALWAYS! Not just on Mondays and Fridays! :-)
2023-12-12
Use props
daniel.scott
New
United Kingdom

Is it possible to set a shutter speed range in photo mode? - I can see this option on video mode - but I can't seem to activate it for photo mode - this would be very useful.
1-5 14:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules