A brilliant idea, though I say so myself
658 8 1-2 07:14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

I just uploaded to YouTube a very short video giving some hints and tips related to the full lock mode, which is of course obtained by pressing the joystick.  One thing you can do with that is to kind of manually recenter the gimbal duing a shot, without it suddenly jerking to a new direction.  You hold down the joystick and align the handle to the current locked gimbal direction, then let go, allowing you then to continue with normal operations but with the handle and gimbal in alignment.  It's a pretty handy function.  Or you can do the trick of walking around the camera as if it was on a tripod, thus walking into the picture rather than whilrling the gimbal round into selfie mode.

But there's a related function which is also very handy - and given how it's not easy to quickly change gimbal modes, it provides an alternative way of temporarily doing so.  The function I have in mind was not built into previous Pocket models, but it was available using the official extension rod's controls.  There was a button on the side, which when held down allowed tilt lock and follow mode to be toggled without disturbing the piicture.  So if I was in tilt lock mode, but wanted to adjust the angle of tilt without using the joystick, I used to hold down the magic button thus entering follow mode, smoothly change the angle by moving the handle in the desired direction, then release the button to lock the tilt at the new angle.  Or you could do the reverse if the original selected mode was follow mode.  It really made for fluid, highly controlled and creative movements during a shot.

But we're short of buttons on the Pocket 3 so there's no obvious way of adding that toggle function.  However...

What if there was a main menu item called "joystick press function" which gave two options,

1 - Full Lock
2 - Mode Toggle

thus enabling whichever of those two function the user preferred (in general or for the current shor) to be selected?  For those who are happy with the way it works now, well, they could just select option 1 and forget about it.  But for those like me who quite often would be glad to have the mode toggle available, then it would be accessible by choosing option 2.

I suspect this wouldn't be extremely hard to implement in a FW update.  But of course I'm not the one who has to write the code...

Anyway, does anyone think this is a good idea?  Or even a brilliant idea like I think?

1-2 07:14
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

It would be nice if we had those two options.  
1-2 10:42
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

We appreciate your valuable suggestions. We will forward your feedback to the related department. Thank you for your great support.
1-2 20:18
Use props
MTV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3281 ft
Netherlands

Is there a link to this video?
1-3 06:16
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

MTV Posted at 1-3 06:16
Is there a link to this video?

Well, it's not one of my best but it hopefully points people in the general direction where they can conduct their own experiments.

1-4 02:22
Use props
Altero
lvl.2

Thailand

This is such a brilliant idea! I hope DJI will implement it! My main issue with new Pocket 3 is now you have to change gimbal modes through the menu by making 4 taps. I always shoot in tilt-lock mode and follow mode. I need to change these modes quickly. I hoped they would make it possible by one short press on the joystick. But I think your idea is even better! Can't wait for this kind of update!
P.S.> I didn't realize that the title of this thread had 'brilliant idea' haha! Because it is!
1-4 03:45
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for you endorsement!  And for thinking my idea was as good as I thought it was!  
1-4 05:07
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good idea indeed.
2-9 01:33
Use props
northaal
lvl.4