Air2S got stolen
872 32 1-11 09:01
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
F86-Sabre
lvl.2

United States

Hello all,Hope you are well.  My drone Air 2S got stolen from my vehicle.  Is there any way to track / trace it - or report it ?
Thank you for all your help in advance!
cheers
1-11 09:01
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Gamora posted this reply in another thread:  Hi thank you for reaching DJI Forum , we are sorry to hear that your drone was stolen, we regret to tell you that there's no way that we can track the drone thru the serial number and its whereabouts,    https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 170&pid=1413472

You can also list it on this website for stolen drones.  https://stolendrone.info/home

Per the FAA website:  
We recommend you notify your local law enforcement to make a police report. This would prevent any further action and will cover you in the event that the stolen drone happens to be used in illegal activity in the future. You should then de-register your UAS as follows:

Recreational flyers: If you registered your drone at FAADroneZone, log in to your account and you will see your registration number, right below it (in far left column) you will see the option to "Cancel".

Part 107 flyers: If you registered your drone at FAADroneZone, log in to your account and go to "Manage sUAS Inventory". Next, beside the drone you want to cancel are three small vertical dots, select those dots and there you will have the option to "Cancel".
1-11 11:01
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi. We are sorry to hear about this unfortunate experience. Sorry to inform you, we are unable to track your aircraft. Tracking the aircraft will require the synced flight data via the DJI APP by the pilot and also the DJI account that the pilot flies your drone with. We recommend that you report this theft incident to the local authorities, authorizing the police to run investigations into this case. You may please contact our relevant team at https://www.dji.com/support to record the stolen aircraft in the system. Our support team will contact you if we receive the products in the future. Please rest assured that DJI will reject offering a service if other customers send it back. We hope that you can find your device as soon as possible. Thank you for understanding, and have a great day!
1-11 12:49
Use props
F86-Sabre
lvl.2

United States

I am so grateful for your support and feedback.  I did register my drone with FAA and I have reported this theft to the local police department.  
Also - I had saved up cash in the drone bag to upgrade it to Air3 - that hurts even more.
I guess I will be droneless
Much obliged.
1-11 14:10
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Precisely what did they steal?
If it includes a smart controller or the phone you use with the drone, was the controller/phone logged into your DJI account ?
If so, was it set to sync you logs?
If so, instal the app on a phone, log in and switch syncing on.
If the thieves are not clued up, or just stupid, and fly it whilst the App is logged into your account then, if the App on the stolen equipment succeeds in syncing, you will see new logs appear on the app on your phone and those will tell you where it was flown.

Did you have flyaway insurance on the drone?
If so, was the drone bound to our account and was the controller bound to the drone?
If so, it is possible that DJI can ground the drone and render the controller useless the next time the equipment is connected to the internet but, if the thieves have your screen device and it is logged into your account and the app is set to synch logs then, I would hold off asking DJI if they can ground the drone etc. until you see if syncing can trace their whereabouts.

I am NOT suggesting that Flyaway insurance covers the theft of the drone.
1-11 16:37
Use props
F86-Sabre
lvl.2

United States

Good morning,

I did not have the smart controller. Just the fly more package. Thanks for the suggestion I wish I had a smart controller.

Thanks much!
1-12 06:28
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

F86-Sabre Posted at 1-11 14:10
I am so grateful for your support and feedback.  I did register my drone with FAA and I have reported this theft to the local police department.  
Also - I had saved up cash in the drone bag to upgrade it to Air3 - that hurts even more.
I guess I will be droneless

Hello. We are sorry to hear that. We hope you find your drone soon. Should you have any DJI-related concerns, please don't hesitate to let us know. Thank you.
1-12 13:02
Use props
F86-Sabre
lvl.2

United States

Many thanks for all the support, suggestions, and genuine concern. You guys are awesome!I know I am going to be without a drone for a long while.
Cheers!

1-12 16:26
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
United States

You would have thought DJI would have by now enabled some kind of tracking tech as standard by now.

Matt
1-14 13:10
Use props
Staffydog33
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1348881 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

F86-Sabre Posted at 1-12 16:26
Many thanks for all the support, suggestions, and genuine concern. You guys are awesome!I know I am going to be without a drone for a long while.  
Cheers!

Gutted for you mate - Had my first ever drone stolen, the mini 2 ages ago....It was like I lost a limb!
1-14 13:11
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1099068 ft
United States

DJI may not be able to track it but I thought DJI could block the drones serial number so it couldn’t be used if someone tried logging in on another DJI log in. From what I’ve read if you have a fly away they are able to lock out the drone. This way the pilot can’t file a false care refresh and get a replacement then still use the reported fly away drone. As always the internet has a ton of inaccurate information so only DJI would know if they can.
1-14 14:03
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Staffydog33 Posted at 1-14 13:10
You would have thought DJI would have by now enabled some kind of tracking tech as standard by now.

Matt

Is that what you would like for DJI, a Chinese company, to be able to track all of our drones in America whenever they get ready?
1-14 17:26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wyldwestaz10 Posted at 1-14 14:03
DJI may not be able to track it but I thought DJI could block the drones serial number so it couldn’t be used if someone tried logging in on another DJI log in. From what I’ve read if you have a fly away they are able to lock out the drone. This way the pilot can’t file a false care refresh and get a replacement then still use the reported fly away drone. As always the internet has a ton of inaccurate information so only DJI would know if they can.

Is that what you would like, for DJI for be able to block and/or ground any of our drones here in America, for any reason?
1-14 17:27
Use props
imdronelover
lvl.3
Flight distance : 343766 ft
Serbia

Staffydog33 Posted at 1-14 13:10

Matt

Agree. I just visit the https://stolendrone.info/homewebsite and I can say I'm very surprised how many reports are there. :/
1-16 02:28
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-14 17:27
Is that what you would like, for DJI for be able to block and/or ground any of our drones here in America, for any reason?

No kid. Just giving a suggestion if it is already possible. They already block user with the GEO zones so what’s the difference. Of it was used in a way to keep liberal thief’s from stealing and using aircraft. WOW..
1-16 08:06
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wyldwestaz10 Posted at 1-16 08:06
No kid. Just giving a suggestion if it is already possible. They already block user with the GEO zones so what’s the difference. Of it was used in a way to keep liberal thief’s from stealing and using aircraft. WOW..

because it can also be used to lock out the honest user for no reason at all.

most of us don't want that.

think.
1-16 11:36
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It would be great if DJI would extend the binding scheme to all their drones but alas I think that unless you have a fly away covered drone, binding does beep beep all.
I tried it with several mini 2 that have no care refresh / flyaway insurance and the drone could be flown using any suitable controller and any Fly app login.
I guess it's just a software switch that does it and if so it might put a big hole in the marketablility of stolen drones. But then again enough people are caught out with legitimately bought bound drones .... can you imagine what it would be like if all drones could be bound.

As for tracking the drone, how would they do that? The drone itself does not communicate directly with the internet, it has to go via the controller and screen device and they can have wifi switched off.

1-16 13:58
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-16 13:58
It would be great if DJI would extend the binding scheme to all their drones but alas I think that unless you have a fly away covered drone, binding does beep beep all.
I tried it with several mini 2 that have no care refresh / flyaway insurance and the drone could be flown using any suitable controller and any Fly app login.
I guess it's just a software switch that does it and if so it might put a big hole in the marketablility of stolen drones. But then again enough people are caught out with legitimately bought bound drones .... can you imagine what it would be like if all drones could be bound.

i think it would be tremendous headache if all drones can be bound.  dji is not responsible for defeating stolen drones, i don't see why they would consider implementing such a "feature."  there's no other piece of personal property or electronics where this is implemented *and* effective.  binding is a method used by dji to deny flyaway coverage...nothing more.
1-16 15:12
Use props
Wyldwestaz10
lvl.4
United States

Wow. ROTFL..
1-17 10:20
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-16 15:12
i think it would be tremendous headache if all drones can be bound.

...... Why?
1-18 09:26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

because it's a scheme like you mentioned and all schemes are "bad."  . binding serves no useful purpose for the customers, it's only for dji benefit.  so instead of millions being impacted, now we have tens of millions impacted when we bind *everybody.*

just to be clear, my statement meant this:  "i think it would be a tremendous headache if all drones can be bound [whether they have care refresh and/or flyaway capabilities or not].

binding doesn't work as intended.  binding all drones imply trying to get some other purpose accomplished beside flyaway and that won't work either.  nobody else in the electronics industry uses binding and there's a good reason why they don't.  forcing all drones to bind will cause more headaches and more cost for dji than it does saving them whatever they think they'll accomplish by doing it.

let me know if you need some concrete examples.
1-18 10:03
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 1-18 10:03
because it's a scheme like you mentioned and all schemes are "bad."  . binding serves no useful purpose for the customers, it's only for dji benefit.  so instead of millions being impacted, now we have tens of millions impacted when we bind *everybody.*

just to be clear, my statement meant this:  "i think it would be a tremendous headache if all drones can be bound [whether they have care refresh and/or flyaway capabilities or not].

I think you are ........... mistaken.

I don't see how it benefits ONLY DJI.
I am pretty sure that once word got around it would depress the market for stolen drones and that is surely bto everyone's benefit.
How many times have you seen someonee who has had a drone stolen if DJI can ground the drone and render the equipment usless.

In most cases binding would accomplish that.

I made no mention of forcing people to bind their drone.

1-18 12:28
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-18 12:28
I think you are ........... mistaken.

Locking drones prevent them from flying; it doesn't prevent them for being stolen.  It would end up being a disaster on so many levels.
1-18 15:18
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Think what you will. I see no point in carrying on this discussion.
1-18 16:26
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 1-18 16:26
Think what you will. I see no point in carrying on this discussion.

Neither do I since DJI agrees with me plus we've had this same discussion at least twice before.  Bottom line is nobody in the industry is going to lock down their drone to prevent theft until they come up with the king of all solutions and that hasn't happened yet.
1-18 17:05
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5173104 ft
United States

Here is a suggestion that may not be to popular.  Unbind the drone from your account, allow them to bind and DJI can then find out who stole the drone.  Just a thought, would this work?
1-20 08:07
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Shawgod Posted at 1-20 08:07
Here is a suggestion that may not be to popular.  Unbind the drone from your account, allow them to bind and DJI can then find out who stole the drone.  Just a thought, would this work?

I don't think that would work because the next person who binds the drone is not always the person who stole it.
1-20 15:39
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-20 15:39
I don't think that would work because the next person who binds the drone is not always the person who stole it.

But maybe they could lead you to the person that stole it.
1-21 08:07
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Shawgod Posted at 1-21 08:07
But maybe they could lead you to the person that stole it.

So if they tell you the person whom they got the drone from, does that mean you won't be asking the person who currently has the drone in their possession to turn it over to you?
1-21 16:05
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-18 17:05
Neither do I since DJI agrees with me plus we've had this same discussion at least twice before.  Bottom line is nobody in the industry is going to lock down their drone to prevent theft until they come up with the king of all solutions and that hasn't happened yet.

And just like that, Apple is giving it a legit attempt to deter crime.  DJI should learn from them.

1-24 14:39
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

I hope DJI will never follow anything from Apple...

How about a code that, if not entered within a minute of turning the drone on, it auto ignite the lipo battery and explodes...
1-24 15:05
Use props
F86-Sabre
lvl.2

United States

Greetings all !
I am so grateful for all your support.
I am planning buy a preowned air2s for $550.  ( that’s all I can afford) .  Any thoughts / suggestions?
Your input is greatly appreciated!
1-26 08:07
Use props
Shawgod
Second Officer
United States

The Saint Posted at 1-21 16:05
So if they tell you the person whom they got the drone from, does that mean you won't be asking the person who currently has the drone in their possession to turn it over to you?

It was a long shot for a idea
1-27 11:25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules