SOLVED! -Some cooling solutions for the Pocket 2 with the DIA Han...
553 11 1-24 14:01
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Lately, I've been using my Pocket 2 and it's accessories a lot due to receiving work assignments that can be (at least in theory) filmed with the Pocket 2. However, I've had some issues with the DIA Handle overheating, causing the wireless connection between the camera and the smartphone to cut on and off occasionally, and at some point, I have to turn off the Pocket 2 for some time to let it cool down and carry on with the filming after that. I haven't been doing the shooting in extreme heat temperatures, just in regular room temperatures. I also have sticked to 1080p30 resolution, so it's not like the image processing is overloaded due to using 4K or noticeably high framerates. DJI themselves has stated that the quick heating-up is to be expected and this is considered normal, and it does work for some time from the point it is turned on, so I don't think DJI considers my unit as faulty. Usually my Pocket 2 has no overheating problems in short bursts, but these have been somewhat longer filming sessions (roughly estimating it to be two to six hours per session) and the connection problems do irk me a little.

I have now been wondering if I ought to look for some kind of a cooling solution to alleviate the problem and extend my running time with the camera. I would especially like to hear thoughts regarding this from DJI representatives themselves, but I am ready to listen to anybody who has some good ideas for this.

Currently, I am considering something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1558759 ... :g:F5QAAOSwLY5lSvUQ

While it is advertised for some completely different kinds of cameras, I do think I am seeing a tripod thread on the fan system in one of the pictures and started to wonder if this could work with the Pocket 2 if I had the fan pointed directly to the DIA Handle, either standing on a separate tripod or being mounted to the tripod thread of the DIA Handle with an appropriate mount. At least on some cases considering camera overheating, it is often stated that the cameras are designed to be used in spaces with air flowing constantly (such as in outdoors with a light wind breeze or indoors in climate-controlled rooms), and much of my filming lately has been indoors with no special ventilation. So maybe having a fan creating an airflow and helping dissipate the heat from the camera could help?

EDIT: A camera cooling fan seems to work brilliantly, check the link below for further reading.
There obviously are some disadvantages to this, such as more stuff to carry around while filming, the increase in setup size, having another device that needs contant power and the possible problem of the fan causing noise that is captured by the microphones. But as of now, I can't see too many other options.

So what do you think, could this be the way to go or do you have better ideas on how to improve the heat dissipation and the wireless connection stability?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and ideas!

1-24 14:01
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

Also, if anybody has any creative ideas on how to mount said cooling solutions to the Pocket 2 or at least nearby it, I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance!
1-25 13:53
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, there. Thank you for sharing your query with us. Please allow us to forward your query to our corresponding team for further checking and recommendation.
1-26 02:35
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-26 02:35
Hi, there. Thank you for sharing your query with us. Please allow us to forward your query to our corresponding team for further checking and recommendation.

Thank you very much for that DJI Gamora. My Pocket 2 has seen a lot of increase in use recently and I really do like to use it for my job, but I think it would be even better if I found a way to help the overheating/connection problems with it. I have managed to get the footage I have needed so far, but the workflow has sometimes been quite slow, as I have been forced to take pauses with the filming due to the overheating issues.

Eagerly awaiting to hear what the team has to say about this subject. I can accept that it is to be expected to have some heat generation during use and that it is impossible to break the laws of physics, but if there was a way to alleviate the problem, I would be more than happy to grab the chance.

Thanks and have a nice weekend!
1-26 16:41
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 1-26 16:41
Thank you very much for that DJI Gamora. My Pocket 2 has seen a lot of increase in use recently and I really do like to use it for my job, but I think it would be even better if I found a way to help the overheating/connection problems with it. I have managed to get the footage I have needed so far, but the workflow has sometimes been quite slow, as I have been forced to take pauses with the filming due to the overheating issues.

Eagerly awaiting to hear what the team has to say about this subject. I can accept that it is to be expected to have some heat generation during use and that it is impossible to break the laws of physics, but if there was a way to alleviate the problem, I would be more than happy to grab the chance.

Hello, there. Thank you for responding. The DJI Pocket 2 can record 4K 60fps video with a bit rate of up to 100 Mbps. The measured data volume of video files generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is normal for the product to emit heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period
DJI has paid special attention to this issue when designing the product. The newly added internal "T-shaped" passive heat dissipation will efficiently transfer heat to the metal heat dissipation area of the gimbal's pan axis base to ensure the normal operation of the product. After repeated tests, DJI has determined that the temperature of the handle area will stay within a reasonable range when recording, even if recording for a long time. Please feel free to use your product.

You may consider any option that may help to minimize the product overheating during its usage such as a fan, or an airconditioned environment. Furthermore, we've recorded this feedback for future optimization. We thank you for your understanding and support.
1-31 00:55
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

DJI Gamora Posted at 1-31 00:55
Hello, there. Thank you for responding. The DJI Pocket 2 can record 4K 60fps video with a bit rate of up to 100 Mbps. The measured data volume of video files generated in one minute can reach 700 MB. It is normal for the product to emit heat when processing such a large amount of data in a short period
DJI has paid special attention to this issue when designing the product. The newly added internal "T-shaped" passive heat dissipation will efficiently transfer heat to the metal heat dissipation area of the gimbal's pan axis base to ensure the normal operation of the product. After repeated tests, DJI has determined that the temperature of the handle area will stay within a reasonable range when recording, even if recording for a long time. Please feel free to use your product.

Thank you for that reply. While I don't completely agree upon the "reasonable range" of the heat statement (otherwise maybe but not with the DIA handle all of the time, as the overheating causes forced cooldown breaks and disrupts my workflow), I can accept that some heat generating is to be expected and the laws of the physics cannot be broken.

Also, thank you for your comment on using air conditioning and additional fans. I think the fan idea could be worth trying. One additional question regarding that: In your reply you stated that the heat is dissipated through the gimbal part base. So does this mean I could get the best results by aiming the fan towards that part? Or should I possibly aim it towards the DIA Handle (as that is the component, of using which will cause most of my overheating problems).

Thanks for your reply and feedback!
1-31 16:13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

HGDC84 Posted at 1-31 16:13
Thank you for that reply. While I don't completely agree upon the "reasonable range" of the heat statement (otherwise maybe but not with the DIA handle all of the time, as the overheating causes forced cooldown breaks and disrupts my workflow), I can accept that some heat generating is to be expected and the laws of the physics cannot be broken.

Also, thank you for your comment on using air conditioning and additional fans. I think the fan idea could be worth trying. One additional question regarding that: In your reply you stated that the heat is dissipated through the gimbal part base. So does this mean I could get the best results by aiming the fan towards that part? Or should I possibly aim it towards the DIA Handle (as that is the component, of using which will cause most of my overheating problems).

Thank you for responding. Please feel free to test which will provide a more efficient time of recordings as there's no actual test conducted related to this scenario. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress.
2-2 22:15
Use props
dwaynek
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I've also encountered overheating problems when recording for long periods (usually dies at 1 hour 10 mins) at 4k60. interestingly enough the dji pocket 2 didn't used to overheat when I first bought it but have started doing so after a year of owning it. at first, I tried using a portable fan which does work but this introduces fan noise into the video. I then tried using an nvme cooler and it has resolved this issue and introduces no noise! I've also connected a powerbank to it and it can chug along fine for over 2 hrs without overheating! hope this helps someone!
2-6 16:57
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

dwaynek Posted at 2-6 16:57
I've also encountered overheating problems when recording for long periods (usually dies at 1 hour 10 mins) at 4k60. interestingly enough the dji pocket 2 didn't used to overheat when I first bought it but have started doing so after a year of owning it. at first, I tried using a portable fan which does work but this introduces fan noise into the video. I then tried using an nvme cooler and it has resolved this issue and introduces no noise! I've also connected a powerbank to it and it can chug along fine for over 2 hrs without overheating! hope this helps someone! [view_image]

Thanks for sharing your experience.

That is a very interesting approach to the problem! And could prove to be an even better option to using a fan.

A couple of questions I'd like to ask related to the setup in the picture.

I assume that the rubber band is the thing that keeps the cooler in it's place? And that there is no adhesive pad permanently attaching the NVME cooler to the Pocket 2?

And the measurements of the cooler? Is it thicker sideways than the Pocket 2, or about the same width?

Where did you find this specific cooler, and how much did it cost you?

Thanks in advance for your replies, and thanks for sharing this! It does seem like a very tempting option to solve the problem.
2-7 09:37
Use props
Aavis
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

I've also encountered overheating problems when recording for long periods (usually dies at 1 hour 10 mins) at 4k60. interestingly enough the dji pocket 2 didn't used to overheat when I first bought it but have started doing so after a year of owning it. at first, I tried using a portable fan which does work but this introduces fan noise into the video. I then tried using an nvme cooler and it has resolved this issue and introduces no noise! I've also connected a powerbank to it and it can chug along fine for over 2 hrs without overheating! hope this helps someone! [view_image]

When thermal paste gets dry it will overheat faster.

Same with PC processors. Thermal Paste is good to change between 5-10  years.
2-7 10:21
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

For me, the Puluz cooling fan is the way to go Read more at https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 032&pid=3269848
3-17 15:57
Use props
djiuser_DZWk8WLMkZ4L
New

United States

Thank you so much!  I think your idea helped save the filming of my daughter's play.  
4-11 19:50
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules