step by step process for integrating DJI Mic 2?
1191 5 1-25 21:50
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aus.doug
lvl.1
Australia

Hello,

I'm a very new user of a Mini 3 Pro and a  brand new user of a Mic 2. I'd like to mic up the daughter's coach to comment on the team's games, but all attempts at recording audio have failed. My steps are:

1. Placed SD cards in both the drone and the RC controller

2. Placed the USB connector onto the receiver and inserted it into the USB port under the flap (not the recharging port)

3. Turned on the controller, receiver and transmitter

The audio bar on the receiver shows that a signal is being received from the transmitter.

However, no audio is being recorded on either of the SD cards.

I watched a YouTube video in which the creator said that I need to turn up the gain to +12 on the receiver. Obviously, this would normall blow out the quality of the recording.

I haven't been able to locate any other step-by-step guides of what new users need to do. Can I please request a link to any documentation or videos which would explain how to capture the audio into the RC's SD card (or maybe the drone's SD card).

Thanks for your help. Doug
1-25 21:50
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's a link to the Mic 2 User's Manual.  Hope it helps.  

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_V1.0_EN.pdf
1-26 12:16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Doug. Please refer to DowntownRDB's provided user manual. If you're still experiencing any issues after following the manual, please let us know so we can help you further. Have a great day.
1-27 21:09
Use props
fans1c19dfa0
lvl.1
Australia

It was very helpful to read the manual and I appreciate DowntownRDB linking to it.

That said, I think the issue is more about integration of the two devices. The drone records onto its SD card and the RC controller records onto its separate SD card. I haven’t been able to locate an intuitive way to combine them.

After watching a number of YouTube videos and reading various sites, I think the following process is needed:

1. Record the video as normal on the mini 3 pro

2. Insert an SD card into the controller and plug the Mic 2 receiver into the USB port under the flap (not the uncovered  USB port used to recharge the controller). Note that this is not included in the Mic 2 documentation, since the doco is about the controls of the device, not how it's used.

3. After starting the drone video recording, start the screen capture process for the controller. Now the drone's SD card is capturing high quality video and the controller's SD card is capturing low-quality video and medium-quality sound. The high-quality sound is captured in the transmitter's internal storage.  Again, not covered in the Mic 2 documentation because it's outside the scope of the mic.

4. After the recording is complete and the data from both SD cards and the mic's internal storage  is in your editing software of choice, align the audio from the mic with the audio from the controller, as well as the video from the drone with the video from the controller. This may not be a trivial exercise if there aren't shared audio cues, since I don’t think there is a way to align based on timecodes. Once the alignment is complete, delete the controller's audio and use the mic's audio.

5. The receiver's gain needs to be increased considerably above normal levels in order for the controller to capture it. Normally you wouldn't do this because the over-extended gain would create distortion. However, if you don't do so, the controller doesn't pick it up.

As you can see, this is not a particularly user-friendly process (unlike a normal camera where the audio is written to the same storage as the video).

From a customer perspective, it's a DJI drone and a DJI mic, but I haven't been able to find any DJI information about integrating the two products. There are a few YouTube videos around, but I'm not aware of an end-to-end solution presented by DJI. The Mic 2 manual is very good and no doubt the corresponding drone manual is too, but I'm not aware of any instructions for integration. Both documentation products live in their own worlds, without any overlap.

Note that I haven't tried this out yet, so I don't know if it actually works. I'm going to give it a go this week.
1-28 15:05
Use props
Tim Peterson5
lvl.2

United States

fans1c19dfa0 Posted at 1-28 15:05
It was very helpful to read the manual and I appreciate DowntownRDB linking to it.

That said, I think the issue is more about integration of the two devices. The drone records onto its SD card and the RC controller records onto its separate SD card. I haven’t been able to locate an intuitive way to combine them.
As a new recreational  pilot  seeking to add audio to my rc pro controller this process  is giving me "brain  damage" it seems we're  months  away from a fix to streamline  adding quality  audio and less hoop jumping,scolling,clicking etc. Ugh.

I came across  one very helpful video where the video creator  of his audio video went into a live audio demonstration  comparing  a inexpensive  mic attached  to rc controller and did the same audio demonstration  with dji mic2 .. .hands down dji for quality but the effort to download audio via controller isnt worth the effort for now for us non technical  pilots, so we'll  save our $300 for dji bundle  and hopefully  dji will streamline they're  audio to controller  down the road otherwise  i have a very expensive  toy copter  w/o audio
4-7 06:04
Use props
djiuser_5bCAQlikCzib
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Think I've wasted my money on a DJI mic ?
4-20 00:00
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules