DJI Mic 2 Frequency Response Improvement
800 3 2-2 22:41
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joentell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2674 ft
United States

I think the features on this mic are great, but the frequency response leaves something to be desired. For credibility, I review speakers and do system calibrations professionally.

I've compared the DJI Mic 2's response to a calibrated mic using pink noise on a point source speaker.

Initial Difference

Initial Difference

This graph shows the difference between the two which disregards the actual response of the speaker itself, we're only looking at the delta. As you can see, there is a shallow bass roll-off below 100Hz which is ok for capturing the human voice, but I would argue that it would be better if it were allowed to capture down to 60hz with a steeper roll-off. More noticeable is the high-frequency treble roll-off that begins as low as 7.5kHz. Comparing the sound of the Mic 2 to the Rode mics, it's obvious that the Mic 2 lacks a bit of "air" and brilliance.

The After EQ image shows the difference between the calibrated mic and the frequency range and flatness that is reasonable to expect from the Mic 2 after EQ. I've tested the response with EQ and it sounds better. It does require +6dB of headroom since the EQ reduces the overall volume by -6dB on average.

Difference After EQ

Difference After EQ

I've created an EQ that can restore some of those frequencies with EQ. These are the Parametric EQ settings required to achieve the response. Ignore the graph in the back, that's the measurement of the speaker itself. Do notice, that the predicted response in blue closely matches the response of the calibrated mic in pink. The purple-colored graph above shows the original DJI Mic 2 measurement. It still rolls off around 11kHz, but that's better than the original 7.5kHz. I wish you would allow this mic to go up to 20kHz if possible. We can always apply low-pass or high-pass filters in post.

Parametric EQ Settings

Parametric EQ Settings

I think that customers would like the sound better if this EQ was available via a firmware update.

2-2 22:41
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback about your experience with us. DJI is continuously seeking customer feedback to drive improvements to our products and customer experiences. I have documented all the information you provided and will send them to the relevant departments. We will strive to provide better service as we continue to move forward.
2-3 00:37
Use props
joentell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2674 ft
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2-3 00:37
Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback about your experience with us. DJI is continuously seeking customer feedback to drive improvements to our products and customer experiences. I have documented all the information you provided and will send them to the relevant departments. We will strive to provide better service as we continue to move forward.

It's been a couple of months now. Any word on whether they plan on implementing this to provide a better response?
4-22 00:01
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

joentell Posted at 4-22 00:01
It's been a couple of months now. Any word on whether they plan on implementing this to provide a better response?

Thank you for your interest. We will confirm with our teams and reply to you soon.
4-22 01:30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules