249g Batteries Disable RID?
561 9 2-5 06:32
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4e1e4e36
lvl.1

United States

Is it true that a recent update now causes the 249g batteries to disable or prevent Mini 3 Pro RID from transmitting?
2-5 06:32
Use props
ws46060
Second Officer
United States

My Mini 3 Pro, which has current firmware, broadcasts RID with both sizes of battery.  I'm in the USA.
2-5 13:52
Use props
fans4e1e4e36
lvl.1

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2-5 14:34
It is true for the Mini 4 Pro & Mini 3 with the latest firmware.  RID only broadcasts when using the Plus batteries.  As of the date of this post I do not believe this applies to the Mini 3 Pro as of yet.  I suspect it will be applied to the Mini 3 Pro on the next firmware release.

Pretty cheesy to do that.  Hope someone from DJI wil pop in and explain the rational.  Bad enough most everyone had to adjust to the RID move, and now to undo it with software upgrades.
2-5 16:27
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there. Thank you for reaching out. Please be advised that this phenomenon is currently available for the DJI Mini 3 and DJI Mini 4 Pro. We encourage you to pay attention to our official website for future updates. We appreciate your understanding.
2-5 22:36
Use props
fans4e1e4e36
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-5 22:36
Hello, there. Thank you for reaching out. Please be advised that this phenomenon is currently available for the DJI Mini 3 and DJI Mini 4 Pro. We encourage you to pay attention to our official website for future updates. We appreciate your understanding.

Thank you for the reply.  Why is this phenomenon in existence?  I and probably most other DJI customers don’t understand why this RID phenomenon even exists.  Was this intentional on the part of DJI?  Thanks for understanding our concern and amazement that this is an issue.
2-6 07:01
Use props
Cheesehead Media
lvl.2
Flight distance : 655121 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans4e1e4e36 Posted at 2-6 07:01
Thank you for the reply.  Why is this phenomenon in existence?  I and probably most other DJI customers don’t understand why this RID phenomenon even exists.  Was this intentional on the part of DJI?  Thanks for understanding our concern and amazement that this is an issue.

If the drone is 249 grams or less AND is being used only for hobbyist purposes then Remote ID is not required.  Some customers bought the Mini 3 and Mini 4 Pro for this very reason and were upset that Remote ID was being forced on them by the drone when it didn't need to be. So DJI made the decision to disable Remote ID when the sub-249 gram battery was in use.

The downside to this decision is that pilots who are flying either Aircraft for commercial purposes with a part 107 license are required to be using Remote ID at all times as the weight of the aircraft doesn't matter. These pilots must now spend the money for flight plus batteries so remote ID is automatically enabled when they fly. They were also told when they purchased their aircraft that it was Remote ID compliant and have been using them as such until this firmware update was released.

Both sides have valid arguments and I agree with both of them. Why have Remote ID if you don't need it and is it fair for a company to take away a feature that you paid for and are using? My thought is that since DJI can enable/disable Remote ID simply by detecting which battery is mounted on their aircraft they can enable a one-way toggle that if a pilot wants to enable Remote ID on a standard battery allows them to do so with the caveat that they are unable to ever disable it. Once it is on, then it's on.
2-6 08:53
Use props
fans4e1e4e36
lvl.1

United States

Cheesehead Media Posted at 2-6 08:53
If the drone is 249 grams or less AND is being used only for hobbyist purposes then Remote ID is not required.  Some customers bought the Mini 3 and Mini 4 Pro for this very reason and were upset that Remote ID was being forced on them by the drone when it didn't need to be. So DJI made the decision to disable Remote ID when the sub-249 gram battery was in use.

The downside to this decision is that pilots who are flying either Aircraft for commercial purposes with a part 107 license are required to be using Remote ID at all times as the weight of the aircraft doesn't matter. These pilots must now spend the money for flight plus batteries so remote ID is automatically enabled when they fly. They were also told when they purchased their aircraft that it was Remote ID compliant and have been using them as such until this firmware update was released.

Understand all.  I’m the guy who got the 107 to cover all contingencies because I fly my M3P with two strobes to aid in maintaining VLOS.  I feel DJI is failing the customer base by instituting instituting the battery size mode of operating RID.  From my view point, unacceptable.
2-6 09:16
Use props
Cheesehead Media
lvl.2
Flight distance : 655121 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans4e1e4e36 Posted at 2-6 09:16
Understand all.  I’m the guy who got the 107 to cover all contingencies because I fly my M3P with two strobes to aid in maintaining VLOS.  I feel DJI is failing the customer base by instituting instituting the battery size mode of operating RID.  From my view point, unacceptable.

I'm in the same boat you are. As a M3P owner myself, I am happy that we don't have to deal with this quagmire yet but I think it's only a matter of time. A good friend of mine has a monetized YouTube Channel. Sometimes if we are out and about together I'll shoot some b-roll for him. I'm not paying attention to which battery I'm using. So do I tell him that he can only use video files 1, 2, 3, and 5 because video number 4 was filmed when the smaller battery was installed? That's dumb and I most likely won't remember but if I wanted to be 100% compliant I would need to remember and make sure the right batteries were in use. I understand why DJI did what they did but it while it helps some customers it hurts others. I don't know if there is a perfect solution to this.
2-6 09:40
Use props
fans4e1e4e36
lvl.1

United States

Cheesehead Media Posted at 2-6 09:40
I'm in the same boat you are. As a M3P owner myself, I am happy that we don't have to deal with this quagmire yet but I think it's only a matter of time. A good friend of mine has a monetized YouTube Channel. Sometimes if we are out and about together I'll shoot some b-roll for him. I'm not paying attention to which battery I'm using. So do I tell him that he can only use video files 1, 2, 3, and 5 because video number 4 was filmed when the smaller battery was installed? That's dumb and I most likely won't remember but if I wanted to be 100% compliant I would need to remember and make sure the right batteries were in use. I understand why DJI did what they did but it while it helps some customers it hurts others. I don't know if there is a perfect solution to this.

Agree.  A better solution would be  an RID ON/OFF switch in the software vs forcing customers to buy more expensive batteries that they don’t want or necessarily need.  There’s far too much confusion in the world of drones as it is with all the FAA “guidance”.  
2-6 09:58
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

fans4e1e4e36 Posted at 2-6 07:01
Thank you for the reply.  Why is this phenomenon in existence?  I and probably most other DJI customers don’t understand why this RID phenomenon even exists.  Was this intentional on the part of DJI?  Thanks for understanding our concern and amazement that this is an issue.

Thank you for responding. For comprehensive details regarding this Remote ID, you may simply visit this link. I hope the information helps. Thank you for your support.
2-7 23:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules