ipad
2550 34 2015-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mrpap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I see prices dropped todayy for ipad mini 2 so thought i would get one. Is a 16Gb with wifi/cellular good enough?
Do i really need cellular to get gps?
2015-9-10
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, you really need a cellular model for GPS. You do not need to activate the cell service though.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
Phantoms in stock and ready to ship worldwide! (see availability)

2015-9-10
Use props
Mrpap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

is 16Gb enough as i read updating ios 7 to 8 needs more space
2015-9-10
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

16GB is plenty if you don't plan on also saving the recorded video to your iPad as you fly. That's not recommended anyhow since it will decrease the performance. I fly with an iPad Mini 2 16GB and have plenty of memory to spare.

www.PhantomHelp.com
Find the latest must-haves, fixes, mods, how-tos, guides, and accessories for your Phantom.
2015-9-10
Use props
Mrpap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

And you were able to update ios 7 to ios 8 ok?
2015-9-10
Use props
Phantom Help
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I'm currently running iOS 8. And, I have 7.4 GB of free memory.

www.PhantomHelp.com
2015-9-10
Use props
Mrpap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

thanks for this
2015-9-10
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Just remember, the iPad Mini2 is a two year old devise.

The DJI GO and Pilot apps are processor intensive and sometimes bog down (choppy video). They've got better with the programming, but unless the sale price is all you have to spend, I'd wait for the Mini 4.

I wish that Apple would have also updated the Air 2, but they went big with the 12 plus inch tablet,
2015-9-10
Use props
ronnw69
lvl.1

United States

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-10 08:23
Yes, you really need a cellular model for GPS. You do not need to activate the cell service though.

Thanks so much, I"ve been looking everywhere to find out if you needed an active cell account on a device for it to work...
2015-9-10
Use props
rmeyers
lvl.2

United States

I have a Mini 2 16gig and it works great
2015-9-10
Use props
ronnw69
lvl.1

United States

rmeyers Posted at 2015-9-10 12:01
I have a Mini 2 16gig and it works great

Mini 2, is that an older or newer model ? I know nothing about apple products, have always used Android. Just trying to figure out what I should look to get in case none of my Android products work. Thanks...
2015-9-11
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

I also use a Mini 2 16GB w/Cellular.  Works great, no issues.  I did activate it on my existing AT&T cell phone plan.  I hike in the mountains with my P3P, and figure if I ever forget to charge my cell phone and it dies (yeah right, like that'll ever happen), and there's an emergency, I still have access to text/email.

But yes, very glad I talked myself into the cellular version.  Just don't spend the money on the cellular upgrade in lieu of your spouse's birthday present or something.  That said, Zirconia has come a long way over the last several years.  I'm just saying ....
2015-9-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I Love using my iPad Air 2 64GB Cellular model, strictly for my Phantom 3 device... It's a work horse with its A8X CPU.
The only problem I had using the iPad Mini 2,  with its A7 CPU, it got very hot after only one intelligent flight battery.
With the larger unit, a bigger screen on the iPad Air 2 is much easier for me, to see everything. And surprisingly, not much heavier than the iPad Mini 2 was.

The new iPad Professional has been unveiled. It comes out in November... Too bad it wouldn't fit in the regular device holder. ;-)
It's A9X CPU is double the speed of an iPad Air 2 A8X... http://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/

RedHotPoker
2015-9-11
Use props
richardmartin
lvl.2

United States

You don't need cellular, just connect to your phones hotspot.
2015-9-11
Use props
Phuglie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United Kingdom

richardmartin Posted at 2015-9-11 21:19

I'm thinking of doing this or simply using the app on the phone instead. Too much wireless talk between craft <-> rc <-> tablet <-> phone seems daunting and I don't want problems out in the field because of it.
2015-9-11
Use props
SkySurfer
lvl.2

United States

richardmartin Posted at 2015-9-11 13:19

You DO need cellular, ONLY if you want to use the Follow Me features

Tethering, as far as I know, will NOT work for Follow Me
2015-9-11
Use props
ronnw69
lvl.1

United States

Well I decided to take the plunge, ordered a package deal Phantom 3 Advanced from Amazon, comes with a bunch of extra propellers, extra battery, a couple SD cards and reader, propeller guards, transmitter strap, and a decent backpack! I'm pretty excited about the price, glad I looked around before just ordering from anywhere else. I orderd the DuBro prop balancer and Phantom 3 shaft adapter from Ebay  and I also went ahead and ordered the Advanced antenna kit from FPVLR. They've been going SO far out with that kit I had to have it, I'll be waiting awhile before before installing it but I wanted to have it for when I do. Hopefully once I get everything it will go smooth and I'll be flying in no time!! Any tips for getting things set up for the first time?   
2015-9-11
Use props
isaiah_kindred
New

United States

I have downloaded the DJI Go App on my iPhone 6+ and it works flawlessly

I have tried to download it on two separate iPad minis (newer 2 and older 2) as well as a new full size iPad

Every single one of them say "This app is not compatible with this device".... Help!

Help!
2015-9-11
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

isaiah_kindred Posted at 2015-9-11 18:41
I have downloaded the DJI Go App on my iPhone 6+ and it works flawlessly

I have tried to download i ...

no help im afraid, they are not compatible!! everyone wanting to get an ipad air2 or mini3 that are compatible amongst other older modls may want to wait for about 40 or so days!!!
2015-9-11
Use props
richardmartin
lvl.2

United States

SkySurfer Posted at 2015-9-11 14:58
You do need cellular, ONLY if you want to use the Follow Me features

Tethering, as far as I know, ...

Thanks for clarifying that.  The man who sold it to me said he us s follow me and connects to his phone.  Trusting him, I now own the non-cellular iPad air 2 and it seems to be working ok so far, although I h not tried follow me mode.
2015-9-11
Use props
isaiah_kindred
New

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-11 19:19
no help im afraid, they are not compatible!! everyone wanting to get an ipad air2 or mini3 that ar ...

Thank you for the response!

So which tablet do you recommend I purchase if I do not want to wait for a software update?
2015-9-12
Use props
gary.masson
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I use an iPad Air and have had no issues whatsoever with either the App, aircraft or RC.  It does not have cellular, only WIFI which I switch off as I connect the RC to the iPad via USB cable.  I have never used my iPhone 6+ as yet and I ALWAYS put it into Airplane Mode when I am flying in case any calls come in to it.
2015-9-12
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

isaiah_kindred Posted at 2015-9-12 22:40
Thank you for the response!

So which tablet do you recommend I purchase if I do not want to wait  ...

i like the experience i have had with IOS  so based on my experiences with both android and Apple, i would have to recommend apple, as far as which model, if u wait around 40 days or so the price of air2 and mini3 will drop. i personally am going to get either Air2 or the new pro.
2015-9-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-12 12:37
i like the experience i have had with IOS  so based on my experiences with both android and Apple, ...

Ray, Apple didn't introduce a new version of the Air 2, just the Mini 4 and the iPad Pro. Not sure why, but they no longer list the Mini 3, but still list the Mini2. I could be wrong, but I've gone to Apples site looking to order the Air 2 replacement and the only unit they list is the Air or the Air 2.
2015-9-12
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-13 01:10
Ray, Apple didn't introduce a new version of the Air 2, just the Mini 4 and the iPad Pro. Not sure ...

yea the only two new models are the pro and the mini4. i am waiting on a price drop to get the air2, i always say that and end up buying the new version, so probably will end up with the pro. if possible, i may hook it up to the hdmi port and just use it as a monitor on a tripod and my 6+ for the app. if i can get the pro to work on the device holder which i doubt very much, then i ll just use it. what u think?
2015-9-12
Use props
isaiah_kindred
New

United States

gary.masson Posted at 2015-9-12 11:15
I use an iPad Air and have had no issues whatsoever with either the App, aircraft or RC.  It does no ...

One more question... Has anyone downloaded any of upgraded apps?

$8.99 FPV Camera

Just curious because Im still not able to download the GO app on the iPad Air
2015-9-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

rayrokni Posted at 2015-9-12 13:43
yea the only two new models are the pro and the mini4. i am waiting on a price drop to get the air ...

I'd love to have the Pro model, but at $1K for the model I'd purchase, I'd have to think about getting the Air 2 also. I love the raw computing power of the A9X processor, especially when Apple states it has twice the power of the A8X which kicks but on all of the Droid based tablets.

I'm long overdue on getting a new phone, so I might have to give using the 6s or the 6s plus a hard look.

I'm not a fan of using a phone as the FPV devise. Postings have shown that the Pilot app runs the battery down pretty fast.

I posted on Wednesday when Apple made the announcement that I needed a larger holder.  I can't imagine that the Phantom controller can handle the additional weight and size before somethings got to give and the holder breaks off from the transmitter body. This is the same reasoning I used by not purchasing the Inspire metal mount.

IMO, the mount needs to attach to the metal rails on the bottom and then the FPV devise mounts to that contraption.
2015-9-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

isaiah_kindred Posted at 2015-9-12 14:56
One more question... Has anyone downloaded any of upgraded apps?

$8.99 FPV Camera

I have Phantom Pilot that I downloaded while waiting for my Phantom way back in April. Recently received notice that they are awaiting the go ahead from DJI before releasing the version that will run on the Phantom 3.

Your iPad issue. Is it because you can't load IOS 8? Others posted a while back that they got the Pilot app to load and operate on the older IOS. Now that the Pilot app has been replaced with DJI-Go, I think you're kinda stuck unless you know someone that can copy their install of the Pilot app and send to you.
2015-9-12
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

gregg1r Posted at 2015-9-13 03:18
I'd love to have the Pro model, but at $1K for the model I'd purchase, I'd have to think about get ...

i get around 8 flights on my 6+ and i totally agree about the device holder. there actually is a contraption that uses the rail for support.
i probably will take the rc with me to an apple store and see even if jerry rigged to work, will i be able to reach the controls with ease?
2015-9-12
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31565 ft
Netherlands

Phantom Help Posted at 2015-9-10 14:23

GPS is on all iPad devices with or without cellular connection to the internet.
2015-9-12
Use props
clive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

giant Posted at 2015-9-12 22:56
GPS is on all iPad devices with or without cellular connection to the internet.

I have an iPad with wifi and it doesn't have gps.
2015-9-12
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Netherlands

clive Posted at 2015-9-13 00:09
I have an iPad with wifi and it doesn't have gps.

Hi Clive, I checked what you are writing, we have two  iPads at home but I almost don't use them. And you are right! I didn't believe what I saw, no GPS on (overpriced) iPads. For my P3P I use an LG 7" tablet from which I removed all unnescesary software and it works perfect, fast and without lag. I use the LG only with my Phantom. This device has cost me about 100 euro and of course it has Wifi, Bluetooth and GPS. I also tried an iPad to fly and it was not a better experience. (Not worse either)

Cheers, Jan
2015-9-13
Use props
clive
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41969 ft
United Kingdom

giant Posted at 2015-9-13 09:39
Hi Clive, I checked what you are writing, we have two  iPads at home but I almost don't use them.  ...

Cool.
The version of iPad with 3G/4g does have gps, but the wifi only version doesn't.
2015-9-14
Use props
giant
lvl.4
Netherlands

clive Posted at 2015-9-15 08:44
Cool.
The version of iPad with 3G/4g does have gps, but the wifi only version doesn't.

I know, we've got an iPad 1 with 3G and GPS. I thought GPS is pretty standard on all tablets and lots of people confuse GSM with GPS, thats why..
2015-9-15
Use props
ghoonk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394626 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Folks, while many of you speak with nothing but good intentions, we need to all be clear on one thing, lest fellow enthusiasts end up spending their own money buying something based on incorrect facts and recommendation.

1. iPad Air2, Mini 3 and 4 Wifi-only versions do not have a GPS receiver
2. iPad Air 2, Mini3 and 3 Cellular+Wifi versions have a GPS receiver
3. You need GPS to use Follow Me. I'm not entirely sure about Zip line, POI, Home/Course Lock, but Follow me requires GPS*
4. You cannot get GPS information from a tethered device that you're using to connect to the internet - I have tried this with my iPad mini 3 and an iPhone 6 Plus and an Xperia Z3
5. There is no GPS receiver on the Phantom 3 Pro/Adv RC. This is why the Phantom 3 Pro/Adv does not support Dynamic Home Point while the Inspire 1 does
6. There is a GPS receiver on the Inspire 1 RC but I have not tested to see if it works for Follow Me with an iPad mini (WiFi-only version)
7. I am not sure if Android tablets that are WiFi-only have GPS receivers. Some may have, others may not. One way to check is to open Google Maps and see if you get a precise lock even when you're on the move
8. GSM connectivity does not provide true GPS. It enables a feature called A-GPS, otherwise called Assisted GPS, which is used to speed up GPS lock by providing an estimated location based on cell tower triangulation.

Hope this clarifies and helps anyone who's looking to purchase a tablet/smartphone to work with their P3s

* I'm inclined to believe that Waypoints, Zip Line, home lock and POI use the GPS on the Phantom 3 as they 'lock' based on the aircraft location, and not the RC location. Follow Me is the only function that I'm aware of that has a dependency on the RC/operator's location. I have asked for clarification by DJI in another thread and will share their response if anyone's interested
2015-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules