REQUEST: Better display of EV value for manual shooters
193 6 2-9 01:10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevefa
lvl.1
Denmark

(As a new, satisfied user of of Pocket 3, I have a few wishes to address some pain points I am experiencing while using the product. I'll post them here in this forum individually.)

I shoot mostly video in landscape mode, and I aim for a more cinematic look. I therefore shoot manual with fixed shutter speed and fixed or semi-fixed ISO. I then use ND filters for most exposure control. I mostly shoot with the Pocket 3 alone, without MIMO.

Because of this, the Pocket 3's display of EV value is very important for two reasons: 1) determining if the currently mounted ND filter is the right strength, and 2) monitoring exposure during shooting. Unfortunately the display of EV value suffers limitations for several reasons:

• The display image can be hard to see outdoors in general.
  • The EV indicator uses a small font.
  • The EV indicator uses a medium gray color that gets lost in midtones (abundant when shooting log).

Other indicators I find less important are more visible on the display. For example, since I use a 512GB SD card, I usually have many hours of record capacity. The time remaining indicaator is only occasionally relevant to me, yet it is always displayed with a large, bright font. As another, I typically do not use zoom mode (right), nor would I switch while recording. That control is mostly irrelevant to me, but occupies a large area. The smart gimbal mode control (left) is not useful to me while recording, as I don't think I'll ever initiate one in the middle of shooting. Finally, the shooting mode (lower left) and record format (lower center) indicators are non-interactive while recording, but they are also displayed prominently.

So this suggestion is to promote the display of EV value both in and out of record mode, even if to displace some indicators that might be less important to manual shooters, or by other creative means you devise. Attached is an example of what I often see. I rate this suggestion as important, as I am sometimes unable to determine correct exposure at all.

Thanks for considering.

Image3204463377448341940.jpg
2-9 01:10
Use props
Alex21512
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51329 ft
Russia

Completely support this request!
2-9 02:30
Use props
northaal
lvl.4
United Kingdom

100% agree ! For shooting with fixed shutter speed using ND filters this is THE most important parameter to see continuously. Please enlarge the font and change to to white.
2-9 12:56
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A stronger shadow when theres a lighter background should help so it's a simple fix for a coder, whats it like when there's a dark background, is it the same white as the others?
2-9 17:24
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Thank you for your recommendations. Please rest assured that we will register the information and provide feedback to the related departments for evaluation. Thank you for your support and understanding.
2-10 00:35
Use props
Xavier1984
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1634843 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

100% agree ! For the moment I use the mobile phone wieh the histogram and the burnt area. For sure we need more information on the Pocket 3, including a focus peaking.
2-12 00:05
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Xavier1984 Posted at 2-12 00:05
100% agree ! For the moment I use the mobile phone wieh the histogram and the burnt area. For sure we need more information on the Pocket 3, including a focus peaking.

Thank you for your additional support for this request. Rest assured that your feedback will be forwarded as well. Cheers!
2-13 01:43
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules