Pilot 2 feature request: Route editing
442 7 2-13 23:52
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tigger_Na
lvl.2

Namibia

Dear DJI

I love Pilot 2, but it really isn't as powerful yet as it can be.

First, my methodology: I design a route in Google Earth and import the resultant KML file into Pilot 2. From there I import it to the route depository, configure the necessary settings for a SAR mission and let fly. I mostly fly thermal, with the gimbal angled 30° down. I let the M30T fly autonomously, all I do is steer the camera to focus on possible heat signature aquisitions. If needed, I pause the route for closer investigation.

There are a few features that should be added to make the workflow and execution of the mission easier:

1) It should be possible to copy a route, and edit the copy for fine-tuning. If, for instance, I defined an extensive route, but need to focus on a smaller area on subsequent flights, I'd like to take the original mission and delete unneeded waypoints, but keep the original unchanged.

2) When I changed gimbal pitch and yaw during the flight to investigate a target and hit "pause", the gimbal resets to straight aread and 30° down, which throws me completely off target.

3) The required action settings for a waypoint should be expanded. For instance, I take 2s interval photos, which is an action I would like to trigger or pause at each waypoint, as required. Another possible setting should be to open or close the thermal camera protection shutter.

4) There should be a setting on what the gimbal should do when doing a initiating RTH. I do my flying very early in the morning, when the sun is still low on the horizon, and take extra care not to point the thermal camera at the sun. When executing RTH, the gimbal resets to straight ahead and level. Good, normally, except on flights like these, it may end up pointing the camera straight at the sun.  When selected, the gimbal orientation should remain after hitting RTH.

5) Button customization should also be expanded. Specifically, I would like to have the actions/shortcuts:
• Take photos every 2s, stop taking photos every 2s.
• Open and close the thermal camera protection shutter.
• Point the gimbal xx° down and xx° left or right.
• Zoom all cameras to a definable level.
• Drop a pinpoint immediately and keep the camera focused on it.
• Switch on the landing light, irrespective of what the other lights are doing at that stage.

6) The altitude for a route leg between waypoints should be configurable to follow terrain.

I trust that my request will receive your favourable consideration.

Best regards
Arthur
2-13 23:52
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Give a try to UGCS

2-14 00:31
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13424032 ft
  • >>>
United States

While you have some good ideas several are already available. 1) while selecting one of your flight routes hold down on a mission for a second to highlight it. Once selected you can hit the copy button on the bottom of the screen. You'll then see two identical flight routes like you're wanting. 3) if you have the interval mode being used instead of single photo mode, a click of the shutter button with start/stop the interval time you have chosen. So press once to begin taking a photo every 2s and when you want to stop press in once more. 5) I just addressed the first point. You can drop a pin point at any time and press the POI mode button that's right beside it to make the camera point towards it.  Terrain follow during a waypoint route and bottom LED control from a RC button is definitely long overdue.
2-14 19:46
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, there! We highly appreciate for taking the time to share your valuable suggestions to improve your overall product experience. Your input is greatly appreciated, and please know that these will be taken into consideration for future reference. We thank you for your continued support! Cheers!
2-15 03:42
Use props
Tigger_Na
lvl.2

Namibia

Johnnokomis Posted at 2-14 19:46
While you have some good ideas several are already available. 1) while selecting one of your flight routes hold down on a mission for a second to highlight it. Once selected you can hit the copy button on the bottom of the screen. You'll then see two identical flight routes like you're wanting. 3) if you have the interval mode being used instead of single photo mode, a click of the shutter button with start/stop the interval time you have chosen. So press once to begin taking a photo every 2s and when you want to stop press in once more. 5) I just addressed the first point. You can drop a pin point at any time and press the POI mode button that's right beside it to make the camera point towards it.  Terrain follow during a waypoint route and bottom LED control from a RC button is definitely long overdue.

1) Works perfectly, thank you!
2) I specifically would like the flight route, rather waypoint, to trigger photographs. It will surely come with time, but I've found myself flying around blissfully unaware that I forgot to trigger the camera. Don't ask how someone forgets to trigger the one action that is the reason for the entire flight.
5) I'll test this.  The action to drop a pinpoint and start following it should be fast as lightning, as I'm trying to locate poachers who do not want to be found.

Thank you for taking the time to suggest solutions.
2-15 04:42
Use props
Johnnokomis
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 13424032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tigger_Na Posted at 2-15 04:42
1) Works perfectly, thank you!
2) I specifically would like the flight route, rather waypoint, to trigger photographs. It will surely come with time, but I've found myself flying around blissfully unaware that I forgot to trigger the camera. Don't ask how someone forgets to trigger the one action that is the reason for the entire flight.
5) I'll test this.  The action to drop a pinpoint and start following it should be fast as lightning, as I'm trying to locate poachers who do not want to be found.

No problem, I've been patiently waiting for Pilot 2 to receive some much needed updates. DJI Fly is updated fairly frequently with new features added but Pilot 2 does not receive the same attention. It's rather frustrating. To point #5, this will drop a static pinpoint and lockon to it. It lacks the ability to follow or track anything. This is yet another feature that the community has been begging for but DJI refuses to even acknowledge.  
2-15 08:04
Use props
Tigger_Na
lvl.2

Namibia

DJI Gamora Posted at 2-15 03:42
Hello, there! We highly appreciate for taking the time to share your valuable suggestions to improve your overall product experience. Your input is greatly appreciated, and please know that these will be taken into consideration for future reference. We thank you for your continued support! Cheers!

Good day

Thank you, update v09.01.0006 comes close to solving one of my feature requests, which is to create and follow a POI on the fly.

However, this featue is only available during a manually controlled flight, and not during a waypoint route. Also doesn't work if you pause the flight mission, you have to stop it completely for the POI function to show up.

My methodology should be typical for any SAR mission: Get the area you want to search, program an appropriate flight path, lauch, see something that might be something, take a closer look. In a mission like that, with a specialized SAR drone, POI functionality is crucial.

Best regards
3-11 06:37
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Tigger_Na Posted at 3-11 06:37
Good day

Thank you, update v09.01.0006 comes close to solving one of my feature requests, which is to create and follow a POI on the fly.

Hi there. The suggestion has been forwarded but it's still subject for evaluation and not all suggestions will be granted. After the evaluation of the related department, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at (www.dji.com) or by checking the Release Notes specific to your product. Thank you for your continued support.
3-14 05:16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules