The option of charging the drone only to 60% of the battery cap.?
598 11 2-15 00:33
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

Hi, this is probably more of a wishlist topic, but I'll ask anyway, isn't there an option to charge the drone battery to only 60% battery capacity?
Why this requirement? I don't use the drone often, and in most cases it happens that the battery automatically discharges to about 3.7V - battery protection function.
If this function is to have any meaning at all, it is logically useless to automatically charge the battery to full capacity and then let the battery automatically discharge to a lower capacity.
dji_batt.png
I know that the automatic discharge process can be delayed by briefly pressing the power button (the LEDs will display the current capacity), but that's not an ideal solution..
And if this is not possible, does some external battery charger allow this function, for example?

2-15 00:33
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

If this function is to have any meaning at all, it is logically useless to automatically charge the battery to full capacity and then let the battery automatically discharge to a lower capacity.
Why would you charge the battery if you're not going to fly the drone? Especially where you say that you don't fly the drone often. And to always start a flight with the battery at 60% seems irresponsible and dangerous considering that most drones give low battery warnings at around 20%. Most people charge their batteries because they're going to fly their drones, it would be illogical to charge the batteries without a plan of flying the drone.
2-15 01:20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

isn't there an option to charge the drone battery to only 60% battery capacity?
It's a simple matter to charge the batteries until their LEDs indicate the charge level has reached approx 60% and then take the batteries off the charger.
2-15 02:28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJIFlyer Posted at 2-15 01:20
Why would you charge the battery if you're not going to fly the drone? Especially where you say that you don't fly the drone often. And to always start a flight with the battery at 60% seems irresponsible and dangerous considering that most drones give low battery warnings at around 20%. Most people charge their batteries because they're going to fly their drones, it would be illogical to charge the batteries without a plan of flying the drone.

Why would you charge the battery if you're not going to fly the drone?
To prolong the life of the battery, because storing it with a charge level that's too low or too high is bad for it..
You don't want to leave the battery sitting with a low charge level.
So you charge to around 50% for storage.

And to always start a flight with the battery at 60% seems irresponsible and dangerous considering that most drones give low battery warnings at around 20%. Most people charge their batteries because they're going to fly their drones, it would be illogical to charge the batteries without a plan of flying the drone.
He never suggested flying with batteries without first fully charging them.
Most flyers understand that you should only fly with batteries that are freshly, fully charged.

2-15 02:34
Use props
DJIFlyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12536706 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2-15 02:34
To prolong the life of the battery, because storing it with a charge level that's too low or too high is bad for it..

So you charge to around 50% for storage.

Isn't that the purpose of the intelligent battery and the automatic discharging? As far as too low, that's why you receive the low battery warning at 20%. For long term storage, 20% is ideal. This is why when you receive batteries from DJI, they are in hibernation mode at around 10% to 20%. This preserves the life of the battery. Short term storage is ideal at 60%, hence why the intelligent batteries discharge to that amount. Also, 60% is the requirement of most airlines for traveling with lithium batteries.

And to always start a flight with the battery at 60% seems irresponsible and dangerous considering that most drones give low battery warnings at around 20%. Most people charge their batteries because they're going to fly their drones, it would be illogical to charge the batteries without a plan of flying the drone.
He never suggested flying with batteries without first fully charging them.
Most flyers understand that you should only fly with batteries that are freshly, fully charged.

Fair enough. This whole post is moot due to the fact that the batteries automatically discharge to 60% which is what the OP wants. And unless he's flying irresponsibly and ignoring the low battery warnings, 20% is ideal storage for a drone that doesn't get flown often.
2-15 03:59
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi there, there is currently no function that can automatically charge the battery to 60% and then stop charging. There are various lithium ions in a lithium battery being at a high level of activity if it is fully charged and has been stored for a long time, which may cause some hidden danger such as bulging. Moreover, this kind of storage may accelerate battery aging.  Thus for some DJI batteries, it has self-discharge days.  Therefore, generally, you do not have to worry about long-term storage problems for a full-charged battery.
2-15 04:04
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

DJIFlyer Posted at 2-15 01:20

Hi there, thank you for your reply. About how to maintenance recommendations for products using the DJI Fly App like the DJI MINI 4 PRO, here are some suggestions. 1) Before storage, please make sure that the remaining battery level is at least 60%. It is recommended to charge and discharge the battery once every three months to improve battery performance. 2) If the battery level is below 60%, it is recommended to charge it until it is 60% before storage. 3) If the battery level is above 70%, the battery will discharge automatically on the 9th day to about 60%.
2-15 04:10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 2-15 02:34

Hi there, thank you for your reply!
2-15 04:11
Use props
harweyko
lvl.3
Flight distance : 627300 ft

United States

Aftermarket chargers are capable of this end even more with their lcd displays. You can quickly check status, count of charges, temperature, charge simulaneously, charge just to 60%....
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EjzN4IV
2-15 05:37
Use props
Jan Spacil
lvl.4

Czechia

@all: Please don't worry about how I use the battery. I was asking about the possibility of only charging the battery in the drone to ~60%.
I only have one drone, with one battery, and I occasionally fly it for fun. When I get home with a drained battery, I connect the powered-off drone to my PC to download photos and videos and let the drone charge at the same time. The low charging current does increase the charging time, but again, it is more battery-friendly.
I don't have the capacity to check how many LEDs are blinking right now, I just unplug the drone after some time and put it in the box.
Then when I want to fly again, I have to charge the drone again from about 60% to full, which seems unnecessary, but I can't do anything about the automatic discharge.
Leaving the battery discharged and charging it before flying doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

@Dirty Bird & harweyko: Thanks for the info, that's probably exactly the solution that might work. I'm a bit worried about the battery clips operation (hopefully the plastic of the clips is a bit better quality than the M3/Pro), but this external charger would solve the problem.
2-15 06:02
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJIFlyer Posted at 2-15 03:59

Isn't that the purpose of the intelligent battery and the automatic discharging?
But if you know the battery is going to self-discharge before you use it, there's no point charging it to 100% just so it can discharge and clock up more charge/discharge cycles.

Short term storage is ideal at 60%, hence why the intelligent batteries discharge to that amount.
Only half charging the battery approximates to that.

Also, 60% is the requirement of most airlines for traveling with lithium batteries.
No airline or air safety authority has such a requirement.
That's just a widespread forum myth.

2-15 06:12
Use props
Coconut Drone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396486 ft
United States

I also have the Hanatora charger mentioned by Dirty Bird.  I LOVE it.  It makes my end of day work flow effortless.  Having all the data  (voltage, current, % charge, cycle count and temperature) is a nice benefit. Makes it much easier to manage keeping cycles evenly distributed among packs.
2-16 08:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules