External power for RC2
461 10 2-23 21:08
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TapDance
lvl.3
Flight distance : 283583 ft

United States

Anyone have experience using a power bank to power the RC2 controller during flight or is it even possible? I'll be doing some multiple flights days that will exceed the battery time for the controller. If I can run the controller from a USB-C power bank, there won't be a need to stop and wait for a recharge. If you have done this successfully, what brand and specs for the power bank were you using? I would imagine PD would be a must but maybe not depending on the power consumption of the controller..

Thanks!

2-23 21:08
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there, just as a friendly reminder, DJI RC 2 only supports PD3.0 fast charging protocol and up to 9V/3A(27W) charging. Hope it will help.
2-23 22:34
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've used my Anker Power Bank and it works great to keep RC2 charged.  
2-24 05:13
Use props
TapDance
lvl.3

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-24 05:13
I've used my Anker Power Bank and it works great to keep RC2 charged.

But have you used the Anker to power the controller while flying your aircraft? If the controller battery is exhausted, can you connect a power bank and then immediately launch and fly the craft normally? If you piggyback a power bank to the fully charged RC2 will it allow you to fly back to back missions until the RC2 and the power bank batteries are both exhausted? I don't want to stop to recharge the RC2 until my 6 flight batteries are exhausted. These are the burning questions I have   Thx for the reply!
2-24 06:11
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TapDance Posted at 2-24 06:11
But have you used the Anker to power the controller while flying your aircraft? If the controller battery is exhausted, can you connect a power bank and then immediately launch and fly the craft normally? If you piggyback a power bank to the fully charged RC2 will it allow you to fly back to back missions until the RC2 and the power bank batteries are both exhausted? I don't want to stop to recharge the RC2 until my 6 flight batteries are exhausted. These are the burning questions I have   Thx for the reply!

If you use a large enough power bank and keep it attached to a fully charged RC it will keep the RC charged until the power bank itself runs out of charge. You can fly back to back missions with this set up.  I've never flown more than 3 extended batteries worth of back to back flights but I have no doubt you can get through all 6 of your batteries.  Again it will be determined by the capacity of the power bank you use.  I have a 20,100 mAh power bank.
2-25 05:50
Use props
TapDance
lvl.3

United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 2-25 05:50
If you use a large enough power bank and keep it attached to a fully charged RC it will keep the RC charged until the power bank itself runs out of charge. You can fly back to back missions with this set up.  I've never flown more than 3 extended batteries worth of back to back flights but I have no doubt you can get through all 6 of your batteries.  Again it will be determined by the capacity of the power bank you use.  I have a 20,100 mAh power bank.

That's what I needed to know. Not all electronics will pass thru while charging. Thanks for the info Downtown.
2-25 16:17
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

TapDance Posted at 2-25 16:17
That's what I needed to know. Not all electronics will pass thru while charging. Thanks for the info Downtown.

You're welcome.  Hope you have a great week.  
2-26 03:02
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Also check out Mophie power banks. The Powerstation Pro XL as well as the Powerstation Pro AC (27,000mAh) have worked very well for me. You can easily fly all day.
3-1 04:23
Use props
TapDance
lvl.3

United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 3-1 04:23
Also check out Mophie power banks. The Powerstation Pro XL as well as the Powerstation Pro AC (27,000mAh) have worked very well for me. You can easily fly all day.

Thanks for the reply. I had looked at those but they didn't say whether PPS was supported along with PD 3....I'm trying to make sure power banks used for the DJI batteries support PPS as well. I don't know if it makes a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, but I'm a bit A**** Retentive about all of the  batteries for my big and small toys. Will keep Mophie in my sights though, thx again.
3-1 16:59
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

TapDance Posted at 3-1 16:59
Thanks for the reply. I had looked at those but they didn't say whether PPS was supported along with PD 3....I'm trying to make sure power banks used for the DJI batteries support PPS as well. I don't know if it makes a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, but I'm a bit A**** Retentive about all of the  batteries for my big and small toys. Will keep Mophie in my sights though, thx again.

You're very welcome.
3-2 08:42
Use props
Topscooby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 177976 ft
United Kingdom

This is very interesting to me also. I have three Anker 27,500 mAh powerbanks and several Jackery powerbanks which easily charge my three Air batteries in the charging hub. Never thought of charging the RC2 whilst ‘in flight’…i must give this a try!
3-2 09:20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules