329 9 2-24 11:21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJIDronePete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14360 ft
United Kingdom

How far can you see a drone?
Flight rules (UK and EU at least) require that someone has eyes on the drone at all times. How far away can people fly and really still see their drone? We only managed 200m. Any tips on increasing that?

2-24 11:21
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Russia

implant eagle eyes?
2-24 11:37
Use props
NBGRobbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12349 ft
United Kingdom

The colour of DJI drones blends perfectly into the grey UK sky, so a wrap would help, as would a strobe light, similar the this https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/ele ... ion-drone-led-light
2-24 13:34
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Depends on the back ground and whether or not you mean being able to find the drone after you have looked away from it.
Staring fixedly at a Mini 1/2 and against the correct background I have been able to see it at 500m but haven't a hope in hell of being able to find it again if I looked away.
If I have lost sight of the drone and RTH'ed it I often can't spot it until it is a LOT closer .... well under 200m.
2-24 15:45
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Against white clouds I can see my Mavic2Zoom out to about 500m, or my Mini3Pro to around 250m.  Visual distances vary widely with conditions and lighting, of course. Bear in mind, that it's not a question of being able to see it until it's just a dot in the sky, but you should be able to see which way it is pointing, so that you could fly it successfuly back to your TOAL point visually rather than looking at the screen, which may have disconnected for whatever reason.
2-24 15:48
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

NBGRobbo Posted at 2-24 13:34
The colour of DJI drones blends perfectly into the grey UK sky, so a wrap would help, as would a strobe light, similar the this https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electronics/vifly-strobe-anti-collision-drone-led-light

VLOS should be maintained in order that you could fly the drone back to you safely without aid of the controller screen, should the video link fail for any reason. Whilst a Hi-viz skin or strobes might aid you to see it further away, they may not necessarily helpy to identify which way it is pointing in order to fly it back to you manually by sight.
2-24 15:52
Use props
2sticks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 131355 ft
United States

On my M4P being light gray it’s hard to see in cloudy or blue sky beyond about 900 ft. But for me that depends on the altitude. At 300 AGL my eyes are only good for maybe 600 ft and still know the orientation of the drone. I wish DJI would change color to orange or red, any bright color. When I fly my Autel Evo pro V2  at say 150 AGL I have good visual orientation of the drone out to 2000 ft. But the Autel is twice the size, which helps, but it’s orange.
2-24 17:40
Use props
Serg SSA
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 6406329 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The colour of DJI drones blends perfectly into the grey UK sky, so a wrap would help, as would a strobe light, similar the this https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electronics/vifly-strobe-anti-collision-drone-led-light

On a bright sunny day, the strobe light does not help, it is not visible, I bought one but it did not help. I also hoped that it would scare away birds, but it doesn’t work either.
2-24 23:32
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In the UK you dont just need to see the drone, you also need to see its orientation which severely limits what you can see unaided.
2-25 06:11
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I've got a bright orange, slightly reflective full skin on my Mini 2.

After about 100m or so you can't see the colour at all - the drone just looks like a dark object against the sky.

And I apparently have 21/18 (7/6) distance vision according to my PPL medical

I hoped it would improve visibility of the drone, but it just doesn't.

If the drone were in a swarm a few metres away it might help me pick mine out of the crowd, but as that ain't gonna happen I have to be happy that it just makes it look quite cool while it's on the ground or in my bag.
2-25 14:23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules